Why Him?

Mixed One-Shot Collection

Title: Why Him?

Character: You, Mingyu, Wonwoo

Genre: Angst, Romance, Friendship

Rated: PG-13

 

Summary: You find yourself forced to make a tough decision dealing with the two people you trusted most in this world. 

 


 

You heard the bell attached to the front door chime. After lifting up a heavy box on the floor, you turned to greet the customer with a bright smile.

  
“Oh, hey.” You said, still smiling. The two familiar faces smiled back at you.

  
“Hey (y/n)!” Mingyu greeted loudly. The man beside him just nodded. 


“What are you two doing here?” They both watched as you shifted the weight of the heavy box still in your hands. 


“We came to pick you up from work. Tonight’s our movie night, remember?” As he spoke, Wonwoo drew near to you, taking the box from your hands. At first you were going to protest but he gave you a knowing look and you sighed. 


“It goes in the back. Thanks” He nodded and walked away, leaving a pouting Mingyu. 


“That jerk. He’s always showing off his manliness. I’ll show him. I’m strong too~” He whined, making you chuckle and roll your eyes.


“Does everything have to be a competition between you two? Give it a rest for one day?“ 


“No way. The trophy is far too valuable to give up.” You scrunched up your nose and gave him a quizzical look. 


“Trophy? You guys actually have a prize for your silly games you’ve been playing lately?” He blushed and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. 


“Uh. No not really…it’s just uh. Well it’s not a guaranteed win…I wouldn’t call it a prize, really-" 


"Mingyu.” At that moment Wonwoo appeared, giving the boy a stern look. You eyed the both of them suspiciously but dropped the subject as your relieve walked in. You greeted her before grabbing your stuff and leaving, the two boys trailing behind you closely. 


Since their dorm was usually pretty chaotic, your Saturday movie nights were always held at your apartment.

  
“Who’s turn was it to pick the movie tonight?” Mingyu smirked. A tell tale sign that it was indeed him. Which meant you three were going to be watching something scary tonight. You made some snacks as the two set up the living room. It was the same routine every Saturday since you three had all become friends in middle school. 


But tonight the air seemed to be different. Less calm and more…well you couldn’t really describe it. When you entered the living room, you were suddenly aware of the heaviness surrounding the two boys. They sat on the floor waiting for you, a spot in between them where they obviously wanted you to sit. Did they get in a fight? You didn’t want to seem rude and ask. Their personal problems were their own. It wasn’t like you to pry into others matters. You handed Mingyu a bowl of popcorn and Wonwoo a bag of chips as you plopped down on the blanket in between them. 


“Okay Mingyu. Pick your poison.” As soon as both boys noticed your presence, they became all smiles again and the heaviness lightened a bit. 


“Already did. I was just waiting on you, slow poke.” You glared at him before stealing a handful of his popcorn. 


“Whatever. Just play it already.” Indeed it was a horror movie. They didn’t really frighten you that much. You were sort of in the middle about horror movies. You could handle some but not others. Tonight you were spacing out a bit more than normal. More concerned about what your companions were doing than the actual movie. Even though you didn’t want to pry, it did bother you when your best friends were fighting. 


You looked over to your left. Mingyu had been looking at you but once you turned in his direction, he focused back on the screen. It was blatantly obvious that he liked you. You had secretly known about his crush for a while. But you played dumb about it. You loved Mingyu. But not in that way. It wasn’t fair. Why couldn’t you have fallen for him? He was kind, energetic and funny. Not to mention handsome. It made you frustrated sometimes that he couldn’t make your heart flutter. Not to mention you knew he had feelings for you. That it was pretty much guaranteed that if you fell for him he would reciprocate your feelings. But…


You looked over to your right. Automatically you could feel your face forward warm as your heart beat a faster rhythm. Wonwoo was a different story. He was quiet and calm most of the time and hardly did his face express what he was thinking. So why was it him? You couldn’t even tell if he loved you back. Fate was cruel. 


You looked forward again, aware of the pair of eyes on you from your left. But just like you always did, you ignored them. The movie ended soon after that. Wonwoo had a busy schedule the next day so you had told him to go home and not worry about helping you clean up. 


“Don’t worry. Mingyu is here to help out. We can handle it. I know how early you need to be up.” After you kept taking things out of his hands when he tried to help, he reluctantly left. It was unusually silent as you and Mingyu cleaned the mess of pillows, blankets, and scattered snacks. 

 
“Mingyu…” He looked up from the blanket he had been folding and gave you a small smile. 


“Huh?” He questioned.


“Never mind. It’s nothing.” You stated, heading into the kitchen to place the empty bowl in the sink. You stood there for a minute in thought. Before you could turn around and return to the living room, a pair of arms s around your chest and pulled you backwards. Mingyu rested his forehead against the back of your head and breathed in your scent. 


“Why…?” The skinship was a bit of a shock for you but you recovered quickly, placing your hand over his. 


“Why what?…”


“Why do you look at him differently from the way you look at me?…”


“Min…” Before you could finish, he had spun you around to face him. His eyes were glossy and his grip on your shoulders was tightening by the second.

  
“I know that you know how I feel.” You looked down in shame. His hands left your shoulders and rest on either side of your face, gently lifting it back up so you would look at him again. He didn’t say anything. But you knew how he was feeling. Hurt, angry, sad. Before you could say anything he kissed you. You thought about pushing him away but you just stood there frozen as he kissed you. When he pulled back, his tears had begun to fall down his cheeks and he couldn’t bring himself to look at you. But neither had he showed any signs of releasing you from his grasp. 


“I’m sorry.” You whispered which made him choke on a sob he had tried his hardest to suppress. 


“I know.” He said shakily. It was silent for a long time. And when he finally spoke, he released his hold on you as well. 


“He loves you too, you know. Wonwoo. You should confront him about your feelings.” You just stared at him sadly.

  
“Well. What are you waiting for? Go tell him!" 


"But Mingyu..” He pushed you in the direction of the door.

  
“He’ll want to hear this from you as soon as possible. So go tell him already. Before I change my mind.” He gave you a solemn smirk. You nodded and turned to leave, pausing briefly as Mingyu called out. You didn’t turn to face him, fearing that he would ask you to stay and tell you he had already changed his mind.


“This doesn’t change anything. Just because I’ve accepted your decision, doesn’t mean I’m going to stop loving you. I’m not going anywhere.” You smiled to yourself. 


“Thank you, Mingyu. For not leaving."