Chapter Nine

Cracks

‘Want to hang out?’ Kyuhyun texted his boyfriend.

‘Kyu, I’m sorry, I’m hanging out with Zhou Mi right now’.

“Of course you are,” Kyuhyun muttered sarcastically to himself. He locked his phone and threw down next to him. Ryeowook had spent the rest of the day at school with Zhou Mi after what happened in the library. Kyuhyun lay on his bed thinking- over thinking. Overthinking his relationship with Ryeowook. Should he end it? Should he watch Ryeowook fall for another man from the sidelines and do nothing about it? Should he device a calmer approach to the situation and talk to Ryeowook properly? What do you do in this situation? Who do you talk to? A sudden thought crossed Kyuhyun’s mind, even he couldn’t believe he thought of such a thing. _______________________________________________________________________

The next day in school

“Hi…” Kyuhyun greeted uncomfortably.

“Kyuhyun? What’s up?” asked Donghae kindly.

“I need to talk to you guys.”

“Us? Why?” Eunhyuk said slightly ruder than he intended.

“I have no one else to turn to,” Kyuhyun said quietly.

“Oh…” the pair said in unison.

“Of course you can talk to us, come on,” Donghae notioned in the other direction they were facing. “We know a quiet place, quieter than the library.” Kyuhyun nodded and followed the pair.

“Why aren’t you talking to Ryeowook about this then?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Well...it wouldn’t make much sense to talk to him about this,” Kyuhyun replied.

“Oh it’s about Ryeowook, isn’t it?” Donghae caught on. Kyuhyun smiled sadly.

“Ohhh,” the latter exclaimed in realisation at the building in front of them. “Why did I never think of coming here when I needed some time alone?” Donghae scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Well, you may not be alone every time you come here then, Hyuk and I have kind of claimed this place. You know...don’t you?” Kyuhyun stared blankly at him.

“OH!” he exclaimed suddenly. “How did you know that I knew?”

“I believe Zhou Mi told Ryeowook who told you who told Zhou Mi that he told you then Zhou Mi told us that he told Ryeowook who told you…?” Eunhyuk replied, sounding confused at his own sentence. Kyuhyun just nodded in half-understanding.

“Sit down,” Donghae patted one of the sofas. Eunhyuk instantly sat down a little space apart from him, motioning Kyuhyun to sit in between the two.

“Have you two done anything on that sofa?” he questioned curiously.

 

“NO!” Eunhyuk defended quickly. “Well not what you’re thinking anyway. We’ve kissed on that one,” he said as he pointed to the other sofa, emphasizing the word ‘kissed’.

“Okay then…” Kyuhyun smirked at the couple, taking a seat in between them. The pair both looked at him while he looked straight forwards at the wall on the other side of the room. He tilted his head slightly, frowning.

“So what’s up then?” Donghae smiled. Eunhyuk gave the younger boy a small nod as if to encourage him to talk.

“My relationship with Ryeowook is at stake,” he pondered more than stated.

“Because of Zhou Mi?’ Eunhyuk asked. Kyuhyun snarled at the name.

“Yeah, him,” he sneered.

“Zhou Mi is a very good friend of ours you know,” Eunhyuk pointed out.

“So? Do you want to hear my problem or not?” Kyuhyun spat. Donghae sighed, being all too used to Kyuhyun’s temper from their close friendship in middle school.

“We’re aware of your problem, and we understand why you’re upset,” he began. “However-”

“What has Zhou Mi been telling you?” Kyuhyun demanded. “Do you two just report current events in everyone else’s lives to Zhou Mi? And vice versa.”

 

“Well that’s what friends do isn’t it? We’re fairly updated on the situation with you, Ryeowook and Zhou Mi, yes, but Zhou Mi doesn’t tell us everything and we want to hear it from you,” Donghae beamed in encouragement.

“Okay,” Kyuhyun took a deep breath. “I think Ryeowook and Zhou Mi are getting very close, very fast…and it’s scaring me. Ryeowook’s mine, I-”

“I’m gonna stop you there,” Donghae interjected angrily. “Firstly, Ryeowook is not yours, he’s not anyone’s. He is free to make friends without you on his tail.” Kyuhyun opened his mouth slightly in disbelief at Donghae’s defence, about to talk. “I’m talking,” Donghae declared. “Second, nothing is going on between them...yet,” he stopped.

“Yet?” Kyuhyun panicked slightly.

“Sorry to tell you this, but if you continue being an idiot to them, more particularly, to Zhou Mi- Ryeowook won’t want to date you anymore. Think about it. In his life right now, there are two guys. One of them is being a wonderful friend, he’s helping and comforting Ryeowook and just being there for him. One of them is being mean to said friend and making snide remarks at him on an all too regular basis and upsetting Ryeowook himself. Out of those two guys, which one do you think Ryeowook would rather be with right now?”

“I-I-Zhou Mi…” Kyuhyun stuttered, shocked by Donghae’s truthful rant. “Well fine then, he wants to be with Zhou Mi, he can.”

“No no, I’m not trying to get you to break up with Ryeowook, I’m trying to help you fix this before he breaks up with you.” Donghae half smiled.

“Well Zhou Mi would probably be a better boyfriend than me,” Kyuhyun huffed.

“They’ve known each other for a few days, you and Ryeowook have more history, it’s just at the moment Ryeowook may be blinded by the fact that Zhou Mi is being 200x nicer. You have to show Ryeowook that you don’t mind him being friend’s with Zhou Mi, and that you can be the boyfriend he needs. Hyuk and I have respected your bravery in school, being an outed couple can’t be easy. We’ve watched you in class being so strong while we’ve sat there holding hands under the table, scared of anyone finding out about us, therefore not even sticking up for you two because we’re so scared. You’re a great couple, which is why I’m trying to help you see what you’re doing and save your relationship.”

“I don’t need your help,” Kyuhyun stood up. “I’m going to class,” he said bluntly.

“Kyuhyun! Come on, why have you always been so bad at admitting what you’ve done is wrong? You’re either on your own side completely and think you’re not at all in the wrong and you supposedly have justification for your wrong actions...or you see the situation from a completely different wavelength; you take things out of context, make yourself look like a bad guy, and assume you must take extreme measures!” he sighed heavily in defeat, leaning back a little on the sofa in exhaustion from his own words.

“Desperate times call for desperate measures, in this case extreme measures,” Kyuhyun proposed.

“Oh please don’t tell me you’re going to break up with Ryeowook? You’re not thinking rationally here! I know you’re having a hard time but this is ridiculous!” Eunhyuk piped up after sitting in silence for the majority of the conversation.

“I’ve made up my mind,” Kyuhyun affirmed confidently.

“No, please, because then the blame will be on me for this!” Donghae pleaded.

“I’m not blaming you, Donghae, I decided this a while ago,” Kyuhyun nodded at himself, turning on his heel and exiting the old common room.

“Should we warn Ryeowook?” Eunhyuk asked warily.

“No,” Donghae shook his head. “Let’s stay out of this, as long as Kyuhyun doesn’t tell him that I was the one who basically talked him into-”

“You didn’t talk him into anything, Hae,” Eunhyuk cut in.

“Well I don’t want any blame to be put on us for this. Let Kyuhyun do what he wants, if he’s going to be an idiot then let him. Maybe Ryeowook would be happier with Zhou Mi. I for one would rather Mi than Kyuhyun.”

“That’s not what you thought in middle school when you had a crush on Kyuhyun,” Eunhyuk pointed out. Donghae smiled sadly and turned to look his lover in the eyes.

“People change.”

Another chapter already? I'm on a roll, to be honest, I just want to get into the interesting part of the story, once things are getting more interesting, the updates may be slower, but for now I just want to get the fun parts where I'll toy around with your feels. I suppose this chapter did leave you on a bit of an interesting note. The drama starts here people.