Chapter Three

Cracks

Chapter Three:

Ryeowook walked down the corridor, trying to find Kyuhyun, whom he hadn’t seen since the fateful morning class. The halls were empty, the entire student body gathered in the lunch hall. Having searched everywhere, he headed towards the library as a last resort, though no one ever went there anymore, ever since the school updated their computer science lab. Maybe Kyuhyun had craved the peace and quiet of the spacious room. Or maybe it was that he was subconsciously craving it, hoping to find all the answers to his unanswered questions between the four walls. Maybe it was all pointless, but it never hurt to try.

 

“Kyu!” he whisper shouted, as he entered, “Kyu! Are you wondering about here?” He looked between the tall shelves, hoping – or maybe fearing? – to find the boy, but the library was empty. Wook stopped in front of a shelf, running his finger over the heavy backs of the books, breathing in the dusty silence. Why couldn’t life be like it was in the books, he often wondered, stopping to pull out a small dusty volume. He could remember his Mother reading this particular book to him when he was a child, before he would fall asleep.

It is only with the eyes that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eyes.

Ryeowook sighed, sliding down to the floor and opening the book at a random page, his eyes gliding over the familiar words. It was like coming home after a long trip, to find your loving family waiting for you; like a breath of fresh air after months of isolation; the first soft sunrays caressing the earth after a long harsh winter; like a lover’s soft breath, just before the lips met in the sweetest kiss. The boy didn’t notice when a tall unfamiliar figure approached him from the other side of the shelves. The stranger noticed the boy reading and smiled.

 

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes it so important” he said softly, startling the younger man. Ryeowook jumped up, the book flying from his hands, as alarm arose within him. “Over here,” the lightly accented voice spoke, finally coming into sight of Wookie. He latter scrambled to retrieve his book, clutching it tightly against his chest, as he rose up to his feet. The book was suddenly turned into a shield, a shield from the unknown and dangerous, “I’m not going to attack you,” Zhou Mi chuckled, extending his hand, “Please don’t look so alarmed…Ryeowook, right?”

 

“How do you know my name?” the smaller man asked, taking the offered hand.

 

“I’m friends with some of your classmates…no, not with them,” he hastily added, seeing the panic rise again in Wook’s eyes, “I know Hae and Hyuk.” Wook let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding in,

 

“Why…why are you here? I didn’t think anyone ever came here anymore…” his voice shook a little, taking in the sight before him. Zhou Mi was tall – very tall – and he had a nice built and pitch black hair. But it was his smile that made him unable to look away…it was the most genuine smile that Ryeowook had ever received from anyone – even Kyuhyun.

 

“It’s always so peaceful and quiet here – and I feel comforted by the books,” Zhou Mi replied.

 

“Wanna join me then?” Ryeowook slid back down and opened the book again.

 

“I cannot. I am not tamed,” Zhou Mi smiled, but sat down next to the younger male, pulling out a very old book from his uniform pocket. Ryeowook glanced up from his book, a little smile gracing his lips.

 

What does that mean -- tame?” he reciprocated, playing along.

 

"It is an act too often neglected. It means to establish ties."

"To establish ties?" Ryeowook stared at the towering man as he sat there, his long legs comfortably tucked in. “Did you just…” his voice cracked. Zhou Mi just chuckled.

“I love The Little Prince. My father used to read it to me when I was little.” They sat there in comfortable silence for a few more minutes, before the school bell rang. They both jumped up, quickly gathering their things and hurrying towards the door.

 

“It was nice meeting you, Zhou Mi,” Ryeowook said, heading towards the stairs, “I’ll be looking forward to seeing you around some time,” he turned around.

 

“Hey, Wook?” Zhou Mi suddenly called, “How about we hang out sometime? You look like you need a friend to talk to.” The smaller boy stopped dead in his tracks.

 

“Wookie, you okay?” Zhou Mi asked, when no reply came.

 

“S…sure, I’d love to,” he replied, slowly turning back.

 

“Meet me after school, 3:30, in the coffee shop just across the road if you haven’t made plans already,” Zhou Mi offered.

 

“I’d…I’d love to,” Ryeowook smiled for the first time in the conversation. Zhou Mi just returned the smile. He had a beautiful smile, one that Ryeowook had never seen anything like. It was bright and genuine, it wasn’t awkward at all. In fact, the boy standing before him could easily be described as perfection pure.

 

“Where were you headed?” Zhou Mi made a step towards the boy, “I’ll walk you there...unless you don’t want me to?”

 

“I was looking for my boyfriend, Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook replied, “But aren’t you going to be late for class?”

 

“I’ve got a free period now, I can help you look…” Zhou Mi offered, gesturing to follow him up the corridor.

 

So I will admit that this chapter was mostly written by my amazing sort of co author that I mentioned previously. The next chapter will be mine mostly though, in fact I'm really proud of it, so as soon as she has tweaked it a little bit because sometimes my grammar can be a little off and we want this story to be perfect, then I will post it. I can't wait ^-^