Chapter Five

Cracks

“Kyu,” Ryeowook nudged his lover. “Honey, are you asleep?” he asked. He reached his hand round to brush it through Kyu’s hair soothingly, probably just lulling him into a deeper sleep.


“Did you just call me honey?” the younger boy mumbled into Ryeowook’s shoulder.

“Ah...I was hoping you were asleep and wouldn’t hear that,” he replied, chuckling. They sat in comfortable silence for a few more minutes. Kyuhyun traced his thumb over his boyfriend’s shoulder once before breaking the moment. “Wookie we have to go to class.” Ryeowook sighed in response. “Come on,” Kyuhyun turned around to face the eyes of his lover. The two shared a glance before simultaneously getting up off the bench they had been sat on for so long. They strolled casually through the woods, trying to just enjoy the moment and forget the world around them. Ryeowook calmy entwined his hand with the other’s, swinging their hands as they walked.

“I wish…” Kyuhyun started.

“Yeah?” the older boy prompted.

“I wish that we could keep walking like this and never get to school,” he huffed like a child.

“Well then…” Ryeowook began as he stopped dead in his tracks, turning his lover around to face him. “We’d better cherish this moment I suppose,” his lips crashed into Kyuhyun’s, tongue already requesting access into his mouth. The kiss grew deeper and more passionate, as Kyuhyun wrapped his arms round Ryeowook’s neck, one hand shifting up to his hair to tug on it slightly. While Ryeowook just wrapped his arms round Kyuhyun’s waist, hands exploring his back. Both breathed heavy and loud, but who cares? No one was around to even see them let alone judge them. ________________________________________________________________

“You found him!” Zhou Mi exclaimed as he noticed the two lovers walking down the hallways while he was retrieving items from his locker for the last time that day. Ryeowook just chuckled.

“Kyu, this is Zhou Mi,” he introduced.

“Hi,” was all the younger boy could respond with. Looking Zhou Mi up and down, inspecting his flawless...well flawless everything.

“So Mimi,” Ryeowook started, making Kyuhyun flinch slightly in surprise at the cute nickname.

“So are you two good friends...or what?” he quickly interjected before Ryeowook could continue speaking to his friend.

“Well we only really met today, we met in the library! Seems we share the same taste in books,” Zhou Mi smiled brightly. Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow at him.

“Oh do you now? Hmm, bit early for nicknames don't you think?” he muttered. Ryeowook facepalmed. “Well would you look at the time!” Kyuhyun suddenly exclaimed, turning on his heel in the direction of his next class. Ryeowook was shuffling awkwardly on his feet looking anywhere but Zhou Mi.

“Is he okay?” the taller boy asked.

“Him? Yup! He’s probably just tired, we went for a walk and uhm, yeah sorry about that,” Ryeowook replied way too nervously. Zhou Mi was just nodding slowly.

“It’s fine! So are you still up for going to the coffee shop in a little while?” the latter asked.

“Yes of course!”

“Perfect I’ll see you then,” he smiled, turning around with books in his hands and heading to class. __________________________________________________________________________

“What the hell was that about?!” Ryeowook demanded, catching up with Kyuhyun and pulling him back slightly when he wouldn’t stop walking.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he replied innocently.

“Yes you do,” Ryeowook stated, narrowing his eyes slightly.

“Wow I forgot that under all that cute you know how to be scary,” Kyu backed off a little bit.

“Cho Kyuhyun!”

“What?”

“Why did you have to pull a scene like that in front of my new friend?”

“Friend?”

“Yes, Kyuhyun, friend,”

“Are you quite sure about that?”

“I met him a few hours ago what do you think he is to me?!”

“Fine, but after school you gotta make me dinner with your cooking skills to prove you still love me,” Kyuhyun pouted.

“I’m busy after school…” Ryeowook trailed off. Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes.

“Doing what? It’s a Monday...you don’t do anything on Mondays,” the younger boy pointed out.

“I’m going to the coffee shop with Zhou Mi,” Wook started.

“Obviously,” Kyuhyun walked off.

“You know, like friends do?!” Ryeowook called after him.

“Whatever,” Kyu continued walking.

“Cho Kyuhyun you can’t walk away from me, we’re in the same class together now!”

“Well maybe I won’t go to class then,” he replied, quickly turning left when class was right.

“Kyuhyun!" he gave up "I love you, okay? Not Zhou Mi. I promise. Now please just come to class.” Kyuhyun thought for a moment before turning back, a small smile creeping on his face.

“I’m sorry, Wookie,” he apologised. Ryeowook just nodded. The two filed into their last class of the day, taking their seats in the classroom.

“What did you two get up to this lunchtime?” a student asked them cheekily as they walked in.

“Seriously…?” Kyu muttered.

“Just ignore them,” Ryeowook proclaimed, making the statement obvious to the bully who then discontinued the teasing. Wook caught a glimpse of Donghae and Eunhyuk who were smiling at the pair sadly. He just smiled genuinely back at them as if to say he was okay. Donghae entwined his hands with Eunhyuk’s under the table once they were sure the class had settled. Eunhyuk squeezed his lovers hand reassuringly.

After what felt like an eternity, the bell signalling the end of the school day rang loudly throughout the building. Ryeowook and Kyuhyun stood up simultaneously and left the classroom side by side.

“I hope you have a nice time in the coffee shop with Zhou Mi,” Kyu smiled as genuinely as he possibly could. Actually biting his tongue to suppress what he really wanted to say which went something along the lines of 'I know I'm a jealous idiot but you're mine and I don't want to face the possibility of you falling for someone else.'

“Thank you Kyu,” the shorter boy replied, pressing a small kiss on his lovers lips, earning them some disgusted looks.

“Wookie…” Kyu complained slightly.

“What? Everyone knows we’re dating what do they expect?” Kyu just sighed in response.

“I love you,” he said.

“I love you too, Cho Kyuhyun.”
_______________________________________________________________________

“Yay you came,” Zhou Mi smiled so happily.

“Of course I came!” Ryeowook chuckled, rolling his eyes playfully at the dorky boy in front of him.

“Shall we go in then?” the latter offered. Wook nodded happily. “I’m paying, so what do you want?”

“Mimi, you don’t have to do that!” Ryeowook protested.

“Wook, tell me what you want then go and sit down,” he replied bluntly. Ryeowook huffed.

“Hot chocolate please,” he sighed, deciding not to argue and lose. He went over to a table by the window and took a seat, taking in the view from the window. It wasn’t anything special, but there were children running about on the grass which caused him to reminisce. He missed the days of being an innocent child, when he was little he didn’t know what it meant to be ‘gay’, he didn’t know what ‘homophobia’ was, and he didn’t know that he would be a victim of whatever it was when he got older. He turned his gaze to Zhou Mi, who looked perfect as usual while he ordered drinks from the counter. He tried to shake the thoughts out of his head that he was suddenly getting about his friend. He was brought out of his reverie by said friend returning, placing the most amazing hot chocolate he’d ever seen in his life in front of him.

“This must have been so expensive!” he exclaimed. Zhou Mi just waved it off as if to say it doesn't matter. Wook shook his head.

“So...how are you doing? I know it must be difficult for you and Kyuhyun in school. Hae and Hyuk tell me about what happens to you in classes,” he smiled a little at Ryeowook.

“Oh, it’s hard I suppose. But Kyu takes it harder than me.”

“You think?”

“Mm,” Ryeowook said with hot chocolate in his mouth. Zhou Mi took a sip of his own drink before continuing.

“Kyuhyun seemed a bit off earlier, are you sure it’s just tiredness? He seemed somewhat jealous,” he commented carefully.

“Yeah...sorry about him, he can be quite clingy. He’s just relied on me for a lot of years I think that maybe the thought of me taking time away from protecting him to be friends with someone else scares him a little, so he assumes the extremes…” he started to trail off.

“No no it’s fine. I understand that, and I’ll respect his dependency on you,” Zhou Mi started, “however, you should be able to have friends and live your own life as well, don’t forget that.” Ryeowook nodded along.

“I know, I just need to be there for him,”

“I understand,”

“But I’m so happy to have you as a friend now Mimi!” Ryeowook chimed.

“My pleasure,” Mi chuckled, “and don’t forget Donghae and Eunhyuk are always looking out for you too.” Ryeowook opened his mouth to speak but then quickly shut it. “What is it?” Zhou Mi asked.

“I just...are Donghae and Eunhyuk…?” Zhou Mi knew exactly what he meant and just nodded slowly in response. Wook opened his mouth slightly.

“They haven’t come out yet. They’ve been in a hidden relationship for 4 years. They trust me with that information and I know I can trust you on this as well. You know, they really admire you and Kyuhyun for being in an open relationship,” Mi informed him.

“Wait so why haven’t they ever stuck up for me and Kyu in class or even just talked to us?” Ryeowook sounded slightly offended at the knowledge that a gay couple watched two of their own suffer.

“I know, I know, they’re extremely careful. That’s how they’ve kept this up for so long, they’ve never slipped up. But I have scolded them for not helping you,” Mi assured.

“You have?”

“Yeah, I only wish I was in your classes to stick up for you myself I mean it’s not like they’d find out, sticking up for gays doesn’t make you gay necessarily,” he blurted.

“Find out what?” Wook quickly asked.

“Ah...did I say that?” Zhou Mi laughed uncomfortably.

“Mimi...are you gay?”