Chapter Seven

Cracks

“Thank you for letting me stay round again, Wookie,” Kyuhyun muttered as he swung his bag from over his shoulder onto Ryeowook’s bed.

“You know you’re welcome anytime,” the latter called, already fumbling around in the room next door with a fold out bed. He entered the large bedroom again, unfolding the bed and laying it out on the floor next to his own bed. “It would be so much easier if I had a double bed, I have the space,” he commented while ruffling out a pillow. “Then again,” he continued, patting the pillow down, “I’m not sure my parents would approve of that…” he muttered. Kyuhyun just watched in fascination as Ryeowook made the bed up perfectly. The latter stood up after finishing and slowly walked over to the younger boy perched on the edge of his bed. “My parents don’t get home for another 30 minutes,” he smiled cheekily.

“Oh is that so?” Kyuhyun asked nonchalantly, then returning a similar smile himself. Ryeowook pushed him down so he was lying on the bed, climbing on top of him and crashing his lips on Kyuhyun’s, tongue already in the boys mouth. Kyuhyun returned the gesture and followed the movements, hands rubbing up and down Ryeowook’s back, as Ryeowook clung to Kyuhyun’s hair. The two kept at their activity for minutes straight before Ryeowook collapsed next to him, only just fitting both of them on the small bed. He wrapped his arms round Kyu’s waist.

“I love you,” Kyuhyun said breathlessly.

“I love you too,” Wook replied sincerely. Thoughts of Zhou Mi suddenly popping into his head. He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to forget about it.

“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Oh, yeah, I just got a headache,” Ryeowook lied. “I’m going to grab some water, do you want a drink while I’m downstairs?” he offered.

“Well…” Kyuhyun said cutely, big puppy dog eyes looking up at his lover.

“I think I know what you’re going to say,” Ryeowook chuckled.

“Can I have a special Wookie hot chocolate? Please?” Kyu asked in his most sickly sweet voice.

“Course you can kiddo,” Ryeowook ruffled the younger boys hair as if he was a dog begging for a treat. Kyuhyun pouted as he fixed his hair with one hand. “Your hair won’t be fixed that easily you know,” Ryeowook winked, departing the room. Kyuhyun, realising what he had meant, turned around to observe his appearance in the mirror. He sighed lovingly at the mess his lover had left his hair in after they kissed, hurrying over to said mirror, slowly untangling it.

Ryeowook entered the kitchen and pulled the coffee machine towards his reach. He retrieved the pods he needed to put in them to make the drink and placed the tall glass in the right place, flicking on the switch to boil the water. After it had finished, he flicked a different switch and watched the chocolatey liquid pour out, stopping it halfway up the glass and switching to a milk pod, then watching frothy milk pour out.

“Wookie is that you?” a woman’s voice called.

“Yep!” he called back. Taking the glass away and putting it on another surface once it had finished. He topped it with squirty cream and sprinkled chocolate curls on it.

“Is Kyu staying over?” she asked, noticing the professional looking hot chocolate, placing her bag on the dining table.

“Yeah, is that alright? I needed to get him away from his Mum for the night,” he said, taking the hot chocolate ready to leave back upstairs.

“Of course,” his Mother replied in full understanding of the situation. Ryeowook told his parents about what was happening with Kyuhyun, and since then they had welcomed him into their house like another son. “I’ll bring pizza up in a bit okay?” Ryeowook smiled in thanks at his Mother and left with the hot chocolate.

“Here you go little puppy,” he teased as he handed his boyfriend the drink. Kyuhyun’s eyes lit up as it was placed into his hands.

“Thank you!” he said, already taking a sip. “What about your water?”

“I drank it when I was downstairs talking to Mum,” Ryeowook lied. “She’s bringing up pizza in a bit!” he changed the subject quickly.

“Yay!” Kyu beamed like a little boy. The two lovers just lazed around, chatting and laughing for the next hour. Ryeowook happy to have distracted Kyu from his life at home for a while. They both turned their heads at the smell of pizza entering the room.

“Here you go boys,” Ryeowook’s Mother said as she placed the plate down on the bed.

“Thank you Mum,” Wook smiled up at her.

“Thank you!” Kyuhyun smiled also.

“Hey would you two do me a favour after you’ve finished?” she asked. The boys nodded. “So I’m going to a massive bake sale tomorrow afternoon and I need 12 more cupcakes but I also need to finish all the paperwork crowding the dining table. So you two can choose which one you do for me,” she teased.

“Hmm...how about the paperwork, Wook?” Kyuhyun commented in dry humour. Ryeowook laughed in response.

“Sure, Mum, leave us the recipe and we’ll do it,” the latter replied. His Mother beamed in thanks and left them alone to eat the pizza.

“I haven’t baked cupcakes in years,” Kyuhyun commented with a mouthful of food. Ryeowook swallowed his current mouthful.

“Honey don’t talk with your mouth full,” he scolded.

 

“You’ve been calling me honey an awful lot lately.”

“I have?” Ryeowook pondered. “Mm. I suppose it makes me feel like I’m mothering you. Maybe to compensate for your lack of a decent Mother. You don’t like it?”

“Oh, no no,” Kyu said with his mouth full of food again.

“Cho Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook full name scolded. Kyuhyun swallowed said food.

“Kim Ryeowook,” he retorted.

“Don’t get smart with me,”  Ryeowook teased. Kyuhyun just raised an eyebrow cheekily.

“As I was saying,” he prompted. “I kind of like the ‘honey’ thing. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.”

“Oh now look who’s getting sappy.”

“Me? Never.”

“Right,” Ryeowook said bluntly but jokingly. “Anyway, we should go and make the cakes.” Kyuhyun nodded in agreement and followed his lover out of the room and down the stairs.

“So...the recipe seems quite easy, Ryeowook pointed out as his eyes traced over the instructions. Kyuhyun leaned over his shoulder and peered at it.

“Boys?” Ryeowook’s Mother called. “I’m going to do this work at the cafe I focus better there and I need to get it done. Are you okay with the cupcakes?”

“Yes, we’re fine, see you later Mum,” Ryeowook replied.

“Okay then, Dad’ll be back later and I’ll be a few hours, bye!” she chirped as she exited the house. Kyuhyun snuck up behind Ryeowook as he was busy reading the recipe and wrapped his arms round his waist. Ryeowook reached his hand round and ruffled his hair, escaping from the embrace to gather the ingredients.

“Did you have a good time with Zhou Mi? Sorry I interrupted,” Kyuhyun asked awkwardly.

“It was lovely! Don’t worry about it, it’s fine. You know that you come first,” Ryeowook replied happily. Kyuhyun’s eyes beamed. “Oh and guess what?” Wook continued. Kyuhyun shrugged in response. “Donghae and Eunhyuk are a couple!” Kyuhyun’s breath hitched.

“What?!” he yelled.

“They just keep it a secret,”

“What?!” Kyuhyun repeated.

“I thought you’d be happy, they’re like us! You’ve known Donghae for a long time as well so you’d never had have gues-”

“They’re nothing like us!”

“Kyu!!” Ryeowook scolded.

“Wook they’re not like us! They’ve been hiding this and having an easy school life, happy together with no bullying to deal with everyday. They’re a gay couple yet they sit and watch another gay couple suffer everyday!” Kyuhyun breathed heavily in anger, just staring intensely at Ryeowook, awaiting his response. The latter’s mouth opened slightly.

“I know...Mimi has told them off for not helping us, but you can understand why they’d-”

“Oh of course perfect ‘Mimi’ has told them off,” Kyuhyun seethed, mocking the nickname. “What’s it to him anyway? He’s just some 13th grade Chinese kid why is he suddenly so involved in this?”

“Well because he’s good friends with Donghae and Eunhyuk,” Ryeowook replied calmly, “and he’s also bi-ual so he understands,” he muttered, instantly regretting it.

“He’s-” Kyuhyun began before just sighing heavily and slamming his hands down on the kitchen surface. “Of course he is. Yep, perfect Mimi is now 99.9% more available to you. Wonderful,” he remarked bluntly, voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Kyuhyun…” Ryeowook began in awe. “You really think I’d-”

“Yes. And maybe you should, he’s much better than me.”

“No...honey,” Ryeowook soothed, targeting Kyuhyun’s weakness; his need to be loved and mothered. “Please don’t think like that. Look, maybe you should get some rest, I’ll do the cakes okay? You just took this all the wrong way.”

“Wook, I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun said as a tear rolled down his face. “You’re always so good to me even when I get overwhelmed and act like this, I don’t deserve you…” Ryeowook wiped the tear away with his thumb before cupping his lovers face with his hands.

“Go to bed,” he simply said, placing a small kiss on Kyuhyun’s lips. “We’ll talk tomorrow.”

“I love you,” Kyuhyun said. Ryeowook just patted his shoulders and smiled. Kyuhyun turned around and dragged himself up the stairs. He crashed down on his bed and closed his eyes, trying not to overthink things. Ryeowook just turned around and continued baking silently, pondering if he should put some music on to drown out the empty feeling the house gave of at that moment. He decided against the thought and just continued to pour ingredients into the giant bowl. This was getting out of hand, the ups and downs in this relationship. He had a sudden thought, causing him to pull his phone out of his pocket. He found Zhou Mi on his contact list, who he had added earlier when they were searching for Kyuhyun.

Mimi, we need to talk tomorrow. I need your help.

Two updates in a day? Well to be honest I have amazing readers and the time it took me to post inbetween chapters 4 and 5, I probably owe you all more like 4 chapters, had I have stuck to my original posting rate plan. So here you go! ^-^