Chapter Six

Cracks

“Mum I’m home!” Kyuhyun called out as he stepped in his front door. He started to journey forward, kicking the door shut behind him, slipping his shoes off. “Mum?” he asked nonchalantly, entering the living room, sighing heavily at the sight in front of him. His Mother lay sprawled out on the sofa, empty bottles dotted around her on the floor. Kyuhyun hovered around the room, swiftly picking up the bottles and carrying all of 6 bottles at once into the kitchen to put in the almost full glass recycling box. He ventured into his Mother’s room to retrieve the blanket from her bed, placing it over the woman sprawled over the sofa. “Mum...I love you, but...please stop.” He pulled the blanket up, tucking her in tightly. He took a seat on the other sofa in the room, glancing slightly at the photograph of his late father that sat on the end table next to said sofa.

“Kyu?” a small voice said from next to him.

“Mum…”

“I know, I know I’m sorry,” she sighed. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

“You say that every time, sorry doesn’t mean anything if you do it again...and again...and again,” he rejoindered.

“Yeah, yeah I know,” she waved off. “Did you pick up the shopping?” Kyuhyun facepalmed.

“I’m sorry, it was such a busy day and-”

“Seriously?! I personally handed you the list this morning before you left and personally asked you to get it! I suppose I’m going to have to do it then!” his Mother suddenly yelled.

“No! I’ll go get it now!” Kyuhyun said, taken back by the sudden change in mood.

“No no, I’ll take care of it like usual,” she huffed, forcefully standing up and storming to the kitchen to grab a little bit of what money they had.

“Mum, I’ll do it! You stay here and rest! Seriously, why such a sudden change in mood?” he muttered the last bit. His Mother stormed back in with the money, shoving it in her pocket and heading to the door to slip some shoes on. “Fine, but don’t buy alcohol!” he called after her.

“I’ll do what I want,” she said stubbornly, turning around sharply and exiting the small bungalow, slamming the door behind her. Kyuhyun grabbed the cushion next to him and screamed into it in frustration.
_____________________________________________________________________

“Mimi...are you gay?” Zhou Mi scratched the back of his head awkwardly at the question.

“Well, ah, if you must know, I am bi-ual,” he muttered. Ryeowook’s eyes flashed brightly at the knowledge of having a friend almost like him.

“That’s great! You should have told me earlier!” he beamed. Zhou Mi chuckled. “I suppose you’re not out of the closet yet?”

“I’m not, and I don’t plan to be to anyone else aside from you, Donghae and Eunhyuk. Oh and will trust Kyuhyun with the knowledge if you decide to tell him. However, something tells me that’s not a great idea at the moment…” he trailed.

“Yeah…” Wook started. “Sorry, again, about him.”

“Stop apologising, I understand I really do,” Zhou Mi said. Giving Ryeowook a small smile.

“So what keeps you in the closet?” the latter asked. “Social standards? Social acceptance? The maintenance of your already decent reputation?” he almost teased, yet understanding the situation.

“My parents, actually. My Father mainly, is very against homouals, my Mother just agrees with him, so I’m very careful about not telling too many people. If I come out at school, somehow the information might travel to my parents I’m very scared about that. But I will always stick up for anyone who is victim of homophobia. I suppose you’d think that growing up around that would make me homophobic also, but I think it had the opposite effect. Growing up seeing the way my parents acted towards gays made me feel sick and realise how much I don’t want to be like them, even leading me to be open minded and then discovering I was into guys as well as girls.”

“Wow…” Ryeowook gaped. “Thank you for opening up to me like that. You know...my parents are homophobic too, so I know how you feel. You’re an amazing guy you know that? And I don’t mean that romantically of course-”

“Oh! No no I know,” Zhou Mi quickly assured.

“But…” Wook continued, “I think you’re really amazing and I’m glad I met you today and we became friends fast.” Zhou Mi smiled at his new friend’s words.

“Thank you, that means a lot to me,” he beamed.

“Oh…” Ryeowook jumped at the sound of his phone ringing. “Sorry, it’s Kyu, I have to take this. Hello?” he answered. Zhou Mi observed the younger boy as he talked on the phone. “Honey,” Ryeowook began, obviously being interrupted by his lover. “Honey, honey listen to me, calm down okay? I’ll be there as soon as I can just breathe it’s not good for you to be this worked up. Okay just wait there.” Wook slipped the phone into his pocket and downed the last bit of hot chocolate.

“I understand,” Zhou Mi said, catching on to what was happening.

“You do? Thank you so much, he’s just really upset and-”

“Wook....go to him,” Mi smiled, shooing him off as he leaned back in his seat casually.

“Thank you so much,” Ryeowook said again, bowing quickly in thanks. “I owe you one! I really do!” he called, already half way through the coffee shop. Zhou Mi just chuckled at his friend’s goofiness. Ryeowook jogged the short journey down the streets to his lover’s home, pushing open the unlocked door and hurrying into the living room.

“Kyu…” he muttered. Taking a seat next to the shaking boy.

“I can’t do this anymore Wookie, I just can’t.”

“Do what?” Ryeowook soothed, pulling Kyuhyun’s head into his lap, laying him down and his hair.

“Life…” Kyuhyun uttered under his breath.

“Don’t say that Kyuhyunnie. What got you like this? You don’t usually like to talk about these things.”

“Mum...just small triggers after an already bad day,” Kyuhyun responded. Ryeowook nodded in understanding.

“Want to tell me exactly what happened? Talking about it will help,” the latter offered, still the younger boys hair. Kyuhyun sniffled.

“I forgot to pick up the shopping, and she went from calm to rage within seconds of knowing that…” he huffed.

“That’s the alcohol, Kyu. It does things like that to her.”

“But she won’t stop drinking, and she won’t get any help for it,” Kyuhyun sobbed.

“I know honey, I know,” Ryeowook placed a kiss on his lovers head, before continuing to and play with his hair soothingly. His heart was shattering seeing his lover like this. Kyuhyun only let this side of him show if he was really upset, and would only show it to Ryeowook. “Shall we go back to my house? You could sleep over. You should get away from here for the night, you know your Mum will drink tonight and I don’t want you around that all night.” Kyuhyun just nodded at the offer. Shakily standing up with the help of Wook and trundling to his room to grab what he called his ‘Ryeowook bag’. It was his quick escape to Ryeowook’s house when he needed to get away from his home, and contained everything he would need for 1 night. His Mother never cared when he disappeared like that, as long as he came back the next day and got on top of the housework.

“Lets go then,” Wook smiled.

Another chapter already?! Whaaat? Well I thought I should make it up to you guys seeing as the last one took AGES (which I'm very sorry about) I've actually almost finished the next chapter already so that'll be up soon! Thanks for reading! And thank you so so so much to my few regular commenters I love you all <3 (By the way, this chapter is the start of the rising action so expect build ups for the next few chapters, and then BAM drama)