chapter 7

My BFF

“So, what’s our agenda today?” Chanyeol sat and slang his right arm around Kyungsoo’s neck. Kyungsoo nearly choked as he was actually drinking his coke.

“Damn it!” He cursed and I laughed so hard.

“Opps! Sorry, my bad!” Chanyeol said but it was obvious that he didn’t mean it at all, his widest grin on his face proved it all.

“Nah, you don’t feel sorry at all. But never mind, I’m a patient guy, so I forgive you. Well –Let’s see what we’ve got here….” Kyungsoo hung his sentence as he was searching his own writing in a notebook. We pointed him as the secretary of our mission, so he was in charge of all agendas. As for communication, that’s my area. And Chanyeol was the planner.

“Hmmm… The agenda for today is still the same as the previous days, enjoying the moment.” He said. I sighed and so as Chanyeol. I threw a glare at Chanyeol and whispered, “You at planning.” He pouted but then he chuckled.

“I guess I just didn’t have any idea before.” He suddenly jumped out from the sofa, making Kyungsoo and I shocked as he said, “I know, I know! Kyungsoo!” He pointed Kyungsoo and said, “Cross that plan for today and change it to ‘exploring the village’.”

Kyungsoo wrote that down immediately. I grinned and said, “A better idea.” If you were curious what we had done so far, we just enjoyed everything. Opening a can of beer has been one of our habits every day, and then watching and playing games has been our afternoon habits. And to be honest, we were getting bored.  It had been 4 days since our arrival, yet we had not known anything about the village. So, exploring this remote area didn’t sound so bad.

“What should we bring?” I asked.

Chanyeol seemed to be thinking of something before he shrugged, “Our body, brain, and heart.” I poked his head with an annoyed expression written on my face. Ah, this guy!

“Okay, okay, I’m just kidding! Hmmm… Maybe we should bring water and some money of course.” He said.

“Errr… Should we change clothes?” I asked hesitantly while glancing to our outfits that day. Kyungsoo was still in his pajamas as he did not intend to change clothes even after he took a bath. Chanyeol was only with his tank top and his favorite grey pants. My outfit of the day was my old basketball’s team uniform. It was cozy though.

“Hmmm… I don’t think so, nobody would care anyways.” Kyungsoo shrugged.

“Okay…” Chanyeol and I said in unison. We took our wallets and 3 bottles of mineral water from the fridge. I tossed one bottle to Chanyeol and he caught it in time.

“Let’s go!” He cheered and we went out. The view was pretty amazing, a typical mountain area. The street had not been asphalt and there were no many people seen. A girl around 12 or 13 years old passed by and flashed us a smile. We awkwardly smiled back to her. Okay, that was kind of creepy to be honest.

“Have you ever been here before?” I whispered to Kyungsoo.

“Eh –Yes, I think. But it was a long time ago, maybe when I was still 4 or 5. I didn’t even remember a single thing about this place, but I know that the villagers are kind.”

“Ohhh… Well, where should we go first? Should we introduce ourselves to everyone in this village?” Chanyeol asked.

“They won’t mind. But maybe make some friends with children here would be nice.” Kyungsoo gave an idea.

I just nodded my head. We could not be a total stranger in here, could we?

“Oh, and we have to know the place to buy some food stuffs, clothes, etc.” Kyungsoo reminded. Ah yeah! I forgot about that one! Our fridge was almost empty, we got to buy something!

“Easy, we can search for some restaurants.” Chanyeol grinned and got smacked by Kyungsoo in no second, “Idiot! We’re in a village! Remote area! How the there is a restaurant in here!”

He awkwardly smiled and with his dorky expression, he spoke, “Sorry! I forgot! Hahaha!!” He laughed. Geez! I could just roll my eyes. We finally agreed to go to our left first. All we saw was farmers working on their fields. And then there was children flying kites at our right. I couldn’t even make a kite.

I sensed a nudge from Kyungsoo and I turned to him, “What?”

“Stop your stupid expression!” He muttered. I chuckled and nodded my head. So I looked stupid?

“Look! That looks like a farm! No –Now, I’m sure! Look at the sheep, and cows! Oh and there are some hens too!” Chanyeol suddenly said while pointing something at the corner of the street.

“Are you sure those are hens? I think they are roosters!” Kyungsoo said.

I shook my head, “Guys, use your brain! Those are roosters and hens!” I uttered. A farm could not possibly just raise either hens or roosters! Coz they have to get married to build a population.

“Yeah, I was about to say that!” Chanyeol said but Kyungsoo and I knew he did not.

“I think we should stop by and maybe buy something… We are running out of food.” Kyungsoo said. Have I mentioned that he was also in charge of cooking? No? Well –Now you know.

“Good idea! And maybe there is milk too! I am craving for milk.” Chanyeol said out of the blue. Kyungsoo and I exchanged glares. He was a giant already yet he still craved for milk? Geez!

“If there is someone that is craving for milk, that person is supposed to be me.” Kyungsoo made a face as he said with a ‘duh’ manner.

“Hey, milk isn’t always drunk for growth purpose, but also for health! The nutrition in milk isn’t only calcium. There are also some minerals that our body needs such as magnesium, phosphorus, and of course vitamin D for our bone’s strength! –“

“Why are you suddenly a genius in biology?” I raised a brow. Really, this kind of thing was rare. He was never interested in biology. Heck, he never even studied about it. Suddenly, he just talked about those milk things and that was pretty surprising for me and kyungsoo. I glanced at Kyungsoo and he was also staring at Chanyeol.

Chanyeol scratched the back of his head as he nervously smiled, “Well –Maybe that’s my hidden talent.”

“Unbelievable.” I muttered. We stopped talking as we had reached the front gate of the farm.  A lady came out as soon as we came inside. She was around 50 and her hair was half white already. Surprisingly, she still could walk fast and her back wasn’t bent like an old people usually have. She greeted us with a smile and said, “How may I help you?” Her voice was a bit melodious and I swore, she had the best voice for old women I had ever met in my whole life. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo seemed to be surprised too.

“Hmmm… We are searching for food stuffs.” Chanyeol said while putting on his usual wide grin.

“Oh, we have that a lot here! Come inside, I’ll show you what we have here.” She kindly said. Ah, an energetic old woman I guessed. 

“You can pick the meat yourselves and you may also pick the fruits yourselves. We sell bacons, beefs, and chicken. As for the fruits, there is a strawberry garden behind my house and grapes next to it. If you also wish for some favors of milk, we have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and banana favor.” She explained while pointing to several directions.

“Ah thank you!” We said in unison. Chanyeol immediately went to the milk section as Kyungsoo and I went to pick some grapes. We weren’t really fond of strawberries but we loved grapes for sure. When we got back, Chanyeol was already waiting for us and we could see all of the milk favors that he took. Kyungsoo shook his head but Chanyeol just giggled.

Then we went to the meat section and decided to buy a lot of meats. “Get me the bacon.” Chanyeol said. Nah, he loved bacon the most! “Alright, we’ve taken 3 packages of it.” Kyungsoo said.

Chanyeol seemed to be thinking for a while before shaking his head and took more bacon, “We need more.”

“Maybe you meant ‘I’.” I and he just saluted.

We brought our groceries to the cashier where the lady had waited. She flashed us a bright smile, “Ah, you eat a lot- eh?”

“Of course we do. If not, how we are supposed to grow tall like this?” Oh I knew what Chanyeol meant. He was teasing Kyungsoo for sure. In no second, Kyungsoo pulled his face and nudged Chanyeol’s ribs pretty hard while the latter just laughed uncontrollably. 

“Geez, I’m just kidding, bro!” Chanyeol said but he didn’t stop laughing.

The lady joined him laughing while her hands were busy punching some numbers on calculator and put our groceries to some plastic bags. She uttered a number of money that we needed to pay and Kyungsoo handed her the money.  The lady seemed to like us, especially Chanyeol as she didn’t hesitate to give us extra 1 package for bacon.

“How generous you are. Thank you.” Chanyeol said and the three of us bowed.

“What a nice lady.” I said when we were already outside. My two bestfriends just nodded their heads in agreement. We were walking and busily talking when suddenly we realized that the street had ended.

“Eh, isn’t it a forest in front?” Chanyeol asked.

“I’m not sure, but I think it is.” Kyungsoo hesitantly said.

“Well –Who wants to go camping there tomorrow?” He asked out of the blue.

“Don’t be crazy!” My eyes widened in surprise.

“Isn’t it a good idea? Let’s explore the new area! Besides, what’s the worst that can happen?” Chanyeol said casually. But then he squinted his eyes and looked at Kyungsoo and I in a suspicious way as he said in low voice, “You guys aren’t afraid, are you?”

Kyungsoo and I immediately shook our heads. I was a bit afraid to be honest. The idea was very random and weird. Imagine what might wait us in that thick forest? Maybe some wild dangerous animals like tigers, lions, and so on. What if we could not find the way back? It wouldn’t be funny, would it?

“Chanyeol, there might be wild animals waiting for us inside. Thick forests usually have creatures like that.” I said. “Well –I agree with Kris. Besides, it’s in a remote area. In books and films, there must be a kind of supernatural spirit thingy inside this forest.” Kyungsoo added. Gosh! He believed those stupid supernatural things?

Chanyeol laughed his out as he heard what Kyungsoo just said, “Believe me, such things don’t really exist.” He patted kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“So, come one! It would be fun! We can listen to birds, and then we can be one with nature! We can also learn survival! Come one guys! Please…” He started doing aegyo which I thought never suits him.

“Alright, but If the weather doesn’t let us, we will not go. If there is something weird in the forest, we should get back to the village immediately, okay?” I said in final. Kyungsoo was a bit taken aback but he nodded his head eventually.

“Good! Let’s prepare now!” Chanyeol pumped his fist to the air as he led the way back to the villa. He walked fast, maybe he was very excited.

“What do you mean by now?” Kyungsoo hurriedly chased, and I got to jog a little to balance Chanyeol’s fast footsteps.

“We are starting our journey this night! Don’t you want to do stargazing and experience something new?” He turned to Kyungsoo as he answered. Chanyeol was seriously insane! My eyes widened in horror as he uttered those words lightly. Camping in the middle of the forest at night? Only 3 of us? Plus in the so called remote area? That sounds pretty crazy to me!

“Errr… Chan, are you sure?” I hesitantly asked. He nodded his head vigorously while saying ‘yes’. Kyungsoo and I could just freeze for a moment before we snapped back to reality and chased Chanyeol.

I wished nothing bad would happen to us. I surely didn’t plan to die because being swallowed by tigers or lions. But it seemed that Chanyeol was very sure and excited about this sudden random crazy plan. Kyungsoo and I got no choice but to approve. My God, he was very big-headed! He still would go with or without us! As a good friend, neither Kyungsoo nor I would let him camp in the forest at night alone. We went here together, we did things together, and we would go home together, right? 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please do comment, thank you^^