Chapter 11 -Escape Plan

My BFF

They finally got to the engine room but they knew absolutely nothing about ship’s engine.

“What the is this button for?” Tao cursed as he desperately stared to buttons. The alarm was on indicating that the ship was indeed sinking slowly.

“I have zero idea! But hey, we should be able to stay alive!” Chanyeol tried to encourage them.

“Easy to say that, but how? Like, c’mon, look around you! There is only sea! Look at these buttons, we don’t even know how to operate this! One wrong press to the button can cause the ship to sink faster than expected!” Baekhyun almost yelled.

“There is no use of bickering now! We have to be united!” Kai said.

“Yes, bickering is just a waste of time. Who is good in physics here? Probably math? Who knows architecture?” Kris asked the questions.

“I’m good at math. I got a gold medal in the mathematics Olympiad last summer.” Sehun raised his hand.

“I am quite good in physics.” Luhan said suddenly.

“Great, I know how machine works a little, from my father of course.” Suho grinned.

“I know a bit of architecture. But ship’s architecture is not really my cup of tea, so I probably know very little of it.” Baekhyun said.

“Okay, so please tell us all you know, Baek.” Kris said. Baekhyun inhaled deeply before speaking, “Ship’s body must be built by a mix of aluminum and magnesium. This prevents the ship from getting rusted. Why using aluminum? Because it’s lighter than any other metals. This ship is pretty luxury so I bet there are water system and ventilation system. For the water system, there has to be some tanks to contain the water before it is filtered and distributed to all parts of the ship and there has to be tanks to contain the dirty water to be flushed to the sea. For the ventilation system, there should be the end of it, which means it has to lead to the open air. I know absolutely nothing about the engine structure though.” Baekhyun explained.

“That helps a lot, thanks, Baek.” Kris patted his back.

“For Sehun and Luhan, is it possible that we go through the ventilation system? Usually in the movies, some bad guys do that.” Kris asked.

“Not if the fan is on because it is very powerful. It can us and crush us into pieces if it’s on because the velocity is very high.” Luhan said.

“What do you think happens if the ship is sinking this way? I can say that this ship is sinking very slowly because what I know is ship usually sinks in only 30 minutes but we have six hours.” Kris said.

“It must not be from the hydraulic system. If the hydraulic system is the one that is broken, this ship is going to sink really fast because it is the one that maintains Archimedes force’s existence. Well if it is necessary I can elaborate it with Pascal law but that is going to be complicated. So, my best guess is that this ship has a little leakage at the bottom of it.” Luhan explained and everybody was thinking hard to catch up with his knowledge.

“I’ve done the math. The leakage is probably only around 20 cm cubic. I’ve measured the time and we have only an hour left if we want to cover the leakage because later than that, the most bottom floor will have been filled with water.” Sehun said.

“Uh. Can somebody say Korean, please?” Kyungsoo said desperately whereas Lay and Xiumin were staring blankly.

“Basically, it means we have an hour left to find the hole and cover the leakage so we can slow down the sinking.” Chanyeol tried to explain although he also didn’t know the bigger picture.

“Suho, can you please try to find a way to make the machine functioning well or at least think of plan B if this plan doesn’t work?” Kris asked.

“I’m not a genius, man! I’ll try to though… “ Suho said. He was still trying to understand what the buttons were for. He knew that one wrong move could cause the ship to sink faster that it should.

“I think it’s better if Suho and Kris stay here, along with Luhan and Sehun. They seem to be the smartest amongst us so I think they might figure out some other ways while the rest are taking care of the leakage, how does that sound?” Xiumin suggested.

“I think it’s a good idea!” Chanyeol said almost immediately.

“Alright! Let’s not waste a second! Let’s find the leakage!” Tao was the most excited as he led the way.

“So, have you figured out anything?” Kris asked Suho that was still busily studying the guiding book that he found.

“I’m not so sure. It’s so complicated! I can’t seem to understand a single word in here coz unfortunately, I at English!” Suho almost yelled in frustration. Kris snatched the guiding book from Suho and scanned through it. Although he understood English, he had zero idea about ship.

“Errr… I understand English but I don’t understand a single thing about ship. How about I translate it to you? Sehun and Luhan, if you have any idea, don‘t hesitate to tell.” Kris said. Luhan and Sehun nodded and they discussed things together while Kris translated words by words written in that guiding book.

“Ugh, so finally I know the function of some buttons. This is to shut down and turn on the power. This is the button to take off. This has to be pulled for the ship to stop which in other words if we want to move the ship, we have to push it to the max. This is actually the ship’s wheel. Then these three are for setting the coordinates of the destination. This is to open the door, unfortunately the ship is being locked down and I haven’t yet found the button to unlock it.” Suho explained all he knew.

Kris looked at his watch and he grew anxious as he saw the time almost reached an hour. He then turned to Sehun and Luhan and before he could even ask, Luhan already said, “Don’t stare at us with eyes full of hope, we don’t have any idea!”

Not long after that, Chanyeol and the team arrived there, all were wet.

“Too late, when we reached there, the water had been as high as our waist.  We had tried to search the leakage but we couldn’t find it because apparently, the dirty water blocked our vision. We found two flashlights though.” Chanyeol said and showed two flashlights on his hands.

All of them sighed as they began running out of idea.

“Wait -!” Kris suddenly stood up.

“What?” Sehun asked with full curiosity.

“I was thinking… Is it possible to get out from here even though the whole ship is being locked?” Kris asked.

“I don’t think so.” Almost each of them said that.

“Baekhyun, do you think so?” Kris turned to face Baekhyun that seemed to be struggling to remember something. It was clear that he was thinking very hard.

“Remember the water system that I told you? I think we might have a chance but before that, I need Kris and Luhan to come with me for a check.” He said and the three of them immediately rushed out. Their time was getting thinner.

They reached a place which had several tanks of water. Baekhyun was checking the label and he pumped his fist to the air. “Bravo!”

“What?” Kris asked as he didn’t understand.

“Those four tanks are containing dirty water. But these four are containing clean water. The dirty water will be flushed to the sea and it doesn’t require the ship to be unlocked since it has its own system that is separated from the main system.” Baekhyun said.

“Wait –Are you suggesting us to escape from there? No offense but it sounds pretty crazy for me. Dirty water contains a lot of germs, possibly full of real s, urine, and other disgusting creatures!” Luhan argued. Baekhyun then hung his head low as he felt embarrassed of his idea.

“Wait –What about the tanks with the clean water?” Kris asked out of the blue.

“What about that, what do you mean? It contains clean water. So, it must have been filtered and safe to be consumed.” Baekhyun said.

“I’m saying, what if it’s actually still dirty?” Kris asked.

“It doesn’t make sense. A system will not make such mistake unless –“Baekhyun was cut by Luhan, “Kris, you are a real genius!”

“What?” Baekhyun asked.

“Unless we sabotage it.” Luhan finished Baekhyun’s words.

“Yeah, I know. But what does it have to relate with our escape?” Baekhyun seemed to be very confused.

“How do you think we will sabotage it and what does it for?” Luhan asked, tried to give a hint to Baekhyun but Baekhyun shook his head. He was that clueless.

“I know a little thing about water system, Baek. If the supposed to be clean water is actually still dirty, it won’t be re-filtrate, but instead of that, it will directly be marked as ‘dirty water’. What does the system do to the dirty water, Baekhyun?” Kris tried to explain and Baekhyun smiled almost instantly as he finally got the picture.

“They have to be flushed! The system will be rebooted by itself! You are a real genius, Kris! Let’s tell everybody and let’s get the out from this place!” Baekhyun cheered and the three of them went upstairs to meet the others that were patiently waiting of their return. Kris directly told them the whole plan and hope started to appear in each of their faces.

“Suho, first and foremost, make sure that this ship isn’t moving at all.” Kris gave an instruction and Suho nodded right away.

“Now, let’s search for life vests!” Chen said and they went to search to each of the rooms there. Unfortunately, there was none.

“Ugh, I’m very terrible at holding my breath.” Xiumin said worriedly.

“Me too.” Sehun and Lay said.

“But this is the only way.” Chanyeol tried to cheer them up.

“You’re right. Better die while trying than not doing anything.” Xiumin said and stood up immediately.

They all went to the room with the tanks. It has been decided. Three people for each clean water tanks. Chanyeol, kyungsoo, and Kris were at tank number one. Xiumin, Chen, and Suho were at the second. Baekhyun, Sehun, and Luhan were at the third. The last tank was for Tao, Lay, and Kai. Fortunately, it had auto reboot.

“Good luck, guys!” They all said together before taking a deep breath.