Chapter Nineteen

The Fakefriend






I was expecting things to be strange when I got down to eat breakfast. I was sure my parents would be all weird about everything that had happened. In my mind, they would either completely ignore the fact that I was dating a guy and then act overly-normal and happy and be like plastic dolls or bad actors. But if they weren’t like that, I was sure they would at least still be in shock and have even more questions for me to answer.

But that level of strange could never beat the actual deal. Because even stranger than my parents acting out of place would be for them to act normal, truly normal. As if they were already used to having a son with a boyfriend.

“Good morning, darling.” My mother said, laying the table like usual “did you ask Luhan to come over tonight?”

“I…” I said, thinking it stranger than ever how casually my mother mentioned Luhan’s name. My dad was reading the newspaper and looked up to join the conversation. Haru was by his feet, sleeping. It all was so completely… normal.

“I have, yes.” I confessed.

“And what did he answer?” My dad said “Did you tell your boyfriend how sorry we were about yesterday?” Once again, the casual tone of it all made me blink twice.

“He said he’d be here.” I said “And no, I haven’t”

“Great!” My mother said “Then we get to do it in person our self. “

I searched their faces for any trace of that shock from the previous day, of any kind of mark that would make me realize how they truly felt about all this. But I found nothing, not a single thing.

“Are you guys okay?” I asked, finding the whole thing absurd. If I’d been them, I wouldn’t get back to normal in just a few hours.

“Of course we are, why?” My dad asked.

“Well, you’re taking all this really well…”

“A night’s sleep can do so much to a person.” My mother said “You’d be surprised.”

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

After my strangely normal morning in my house, I got outside to find Lujian there once again, just like the day before. I could honestly say that I wasn’t even a tiny bit surprised. After everything that had happened to me over the last 48 hours I had become used to things I wasn’t used to, and that included Lujian.

“So, are you going to leave my brother alone or am I supposed to go in and tell your parents about the two of you?” He asked as I walked towards him.

“I already told them.” I said and I was satisfied by the surprised, yet impressed, expression on Lujian’s face.

“You… what?”

“I told my parents about me and Luhan.” I said “Yesterday when I got home from school. Luhan was there with me and my parents are totally fine with it. So, do you have anything else or are we done here?”

I felt like a badass after that, especially since Lujian still looked pretty impressed with me. I didn’t want to ruin it, though, so I turned my back on him and started walking away. I expected him to grab hold of me again like he had done the day before when I’d tried to leave.

But he didn’t.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

Luhan looked restless when I saw him in front of his house. He hadn’t noticed me yet and he looked nervous and worried as I approached him.

“Good morning.” I said, smiling as he turned to me. Luhan didn’t say good morning back though, but he threw himself in to my arms, hugging me closely.

“Are you okay?” Luhan asked almost as a whisper caressing my ear.

“Of course, why?” His worry made me worry in return and I started to panic without having any reason to. His mood was contagious to me. When he was happy, I was happy. When he was sad, mad or whatever, I felt the same.

“You sure?” Luhan asked “Your parents are really fine with everything?”

“Yes.” I said, smiling when I realized that it was nothing new that he had begun worrying about, something that I hadn’t known about yet.

I pulled his chin up and kissed him, missing his lips against my own. He felt hot and it drove me to not kiss him as innocently as I had begun to anymore. My lips opened and as mine did, so did his.

Soon, I had him pushed up against the wall by his gate, hands on his hips as he hugged me closer to him.

“We’re gonna be late.” Luhan breathed, latching on to my lips right after he’d said the word ‘late’. It sounded more like a statement that was going to happen than something that could happen but that should be prevented.

“I’m fine with skipping first period.” I whispered back, pushing him harder in to the wall.

I knew that we were in public in bright day light, but something about me telling my parents about us made me feel freer in a way. Now, I really didn’t have anybody I would have to think about or worry about seeing us like this. There was no restraint left.  

I knew the street had been empty just moments ago and I assumed that it still was, not wanting to check just in case someone had turned up. All I wanted was to kiss Luhan. I felt so victorious, having not only overcome my parents but also Lujian. It felt like I could do anything.

Luhan s his leg around mine, letting it ride up my calf as he pushed our lower bodies closer. I instantly began feeling hot and even though I knew I shouldn’t go any further than this out here in the open, I still couldn’t help myself from letting my hands travel down to Luhan’s , pushing us closer together with my hands as I felt him up.

“We should probably go somewhere more private.” Luhan said, voicing my own thoughts. Quickly, we got up to Luhan’s apartment and completely forgot about our two first classes.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

Showing up at school for the last class before lunch was… strange. I wasn’t usually late and when I was, it was almost always for just a few minutes. I had never been this late!

The teacher for our third class hadn’t turned up yet but the rest of my class sat in the classroom waiting for her to arrive. I knew that this way, my teacher wouldn’t even know that I hadn’t been there earlier since she hadn’t been in my two earlier classes, but all of my friends knew exactly how long I’d taken to get there.

They all stared at me, some curious and others indifferent. I saw a few look surprised to even see me, probably thinking that I had simply decided to stay home from some kind of sickness or something.

“Don’t ing do that!” Tao cried as I saw him, him rushing up and shoving me hard.

“What?” I asked, not understanding why he would react like that, especially since I myself was in the best kind of mood, having had a great time in private with Luhan, much like the time I slept over at his place.

“I thought your parents had done something horrible to you and that you couldn’t show your face at school or something!” Tao said, people listening in on it. An old part of me thought ‘Good, then if a rumor gets out about my parents disowning me because of my ‘gayness’, they will believe mine and Luhan’s relationship more.’ But then the new me remembered that such things weren’t even necessary anymore and I didn’t have to try and make  my own life as public as I had before.

“They did no such thing. But can we talk about that later?” I asked, looking around. Tao seemed to get my meaning as quickly as he noticed how people stared.

“Just don’t make me worry like that again.” He muttered before both of us sat down in our seats.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

Later at lunch I told Tao about everything that had happened, him being impressed by not only me but also my parents.

“Well, you’re mom and dad are great people, so should we really have expected anything else?” He asked as we walked to meet up with Luhan.

“Maybe not.” I said “But it was just so totally strange this morning! I mean, shouldn’t they have at least seemed a little weird about it?”

“Maybe they feel a bit weird about it but don’t want you to feel bad so therefore they try to act as casually about it as they can?” Tao suggested but I couldn’t believe it. My parents weren’t actors so they definitely couldn’t pull something like that off.

“Or, they’re actually totally fine with it.” Tao said “They only needed to sleep on it.”

I shrugged, not knowing what to think. It wasn’t really a problem, though, since I wanted them to act normal about it. I was only making it a bigger deal than it really was.

When we found Luhan by a table, I was surprised to see that he didn’t sit alone.

“You’ve decided to join us again?” Tao asked Sehun who looked a little uncomfortable as he saw us, but not as grumpy as he’d seemed before he left our clique.

Somewhere inside of me, I knew that Luhan must’ve told him about our confessions, about how this time, there was no fake in our relationship. Maybe that was all Sehun needed to accept it, to know that our love was true and that neither of us would hurt the other because of different levels of feelings.

“Hi.” I said, smiling at him. I was shocked to see that he tried to smile back, I say try because even though it was a smile it didn’t really meet his features and spread out over his face like smiles should.

“Hello.” He said “Is it okay if I eat with you all again?”

“Of course!” I said, thankful for his return. He was Luhan’s friend after all, and in a way, it was kind of thanks to him that our relationship had advanced since he’d made me realize not only Luhan’s feelings for me but also my own for him.

I looked to Luhan then to see that he looked happy, and much unlike Sehun’s, Luhan’s smile had grown out all over his face.

I realized that it really must have been hard for him not to have his friend with him anymore. I knew that if Tao had decided to leave my side for some time, I would’ve been devastated.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

Later that day I brought Luhan to my place. I didn’t really know what to expect so therefore I expected nothing. I tried to keep my mind as blank as possible and forced myself not to expect anything. Luhan seemed to be doing the same thing and when we entered and met my parents they were just like they had been that morning with me. Completely normal.

My mother dragged Luhan away to have that ‘private talk’ she so much wanted to have with him and I was left with my dad in the kitchen who asked me about school and other normal things he would usually ask me during the day.

After a while, Luhan and my mother came back and I looked to Luhan’s face to see a glimpse at what they had talked about in his eyes. Thankfully, they were bright and happy, a little surprised but still happy.

I smiled at him, and he smiled back. In that moment, I wanted nothing more than to drag him up with me to my room and firstly ask him about what my mother had said and after that I wanted to attack him with kisses.

But my parent’s would have none of it. They put both me and Luhan to work in the kitchen, they insisting on wanting to get to know Luhan more and didn’t want us locked up in a room when they could instead hang out with us. It bothered me and I was certain it was going to bother Luhan too, but when I looked to him, he seemed fine with the idea, even stranger – excited.

To me, it seemed like he was just as keen on getting to know my parents as they were in getting to know him. In a way, that warmed my heart.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

After an uneventful dinner, all of us having a great time together, the rest of the week trudged on. It was filled with public kissing, dinners with my parents and ‘training session’ in either mine or Luhan’s room when we got time on our own to spend.

Sehun ate with us at the lunch table for the whole week, him having a lot of conversations with Tao as he didn’t want to disturb me and Luhan too much. I would occasionally join in on their conversations, wanting to befriend Sehun too, but he didn’t seem as interested in such a thing as I was. And I respected that. If it was time he needed, I would give it to him.

Life was basically floating smoothly onwards, me probably having the greatest week of my life. For the first time in my life, I felt free. I felt like there was nothing weighing me down, like if I wanted to, I could lift from my feet and fly up in the sky, Luhan close behind.

When the weekend came along, me and Luhan decided to go out on a date on Saturday night.

“Is it okay if I stay at Luhan’s place tonight?” I asked my parents a few hours before I would pick him up and take him out for dinner.

My mother looked to my father who then looked at her and simultaneously, they both turned back to me. They didn’t say anything at first, both wondering what to tell me. They looked as if they thought that I would know the answer, and if I it was up to me, then it would definitely be a yes.

“I’ve slept there before” I told them “as you both know.”

“Do we need to have a second talk?” My dad asked my mom “Since it’s pretty different from gender to gender.”

“Dad!” I exclaimed “Oh God, please don’t do that.”

“But you do know that you need to wear a with guys too, right?” My mom asked, me turning beet red. “There’s diseases and such.”

“Okay, let’s stop here.” I said, standing up “Just answer the question, yes or no?”

They paused, then my dad sighed.

“Sure, son.” He said “Have fun on your date.”

“We will.” I said and then, embarrassed, I stormed out from the room. I couldn’t believe my parents. Sure, they’ve had a talk with me when I was younger and started seeing girls and even though it had been embarrassing, it was good that they’d had one. But now?

There were several things wrong with it. Firstly, they had no experience themselves in the field. Secondly, I knew much more than they did since he’d both read about it and experienced some of it firsthand.  Thirdly, you didn’t need to have a second talk just because your son began dating a different gender. It was basically the same thing in the ‘keep safe’ department and that was basically the only thing parents talked about when they had the talk. I decided to never tell a soul about what had just happened because I was way too embarrassed about it.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

Me and Luhan had been walking around town, deciding for a place to eat. We could’ve easily just sat down at any restaurant down the roads we’d walked but we kind of liked the walking. It was nice outside, not too hot but not cold either.

We’d decided not to hold hands as we walked, knowing that there were going to be people who’d point it out if we walked like that. But still, we walked pretty close together, both of us being aware of the other person, maybe even more aware than usual. We were used to holding hands and now when we didn’t, it somehow felt more special in a way.

Over the week, the two of us had been intimate with each other as much as possible, even staying as close as we could at school without it being weird, and to have that suddenly ripped away from you was a thrill in itself. Though, things were always better when I could touch Luhan. Even though this may feel a bit exciting, it would be even better if we could cuddle at home.

We rounded a corner, Luhan having talked about their latest test and how he’d totally had failed it, when we found the most perfect spot for us to have dinner.

It was a small shop and through the windows we could see two or three more couples sitting inside at small cute tables. The interior seemed cozy and a nice warm light flooded out from the open door.

“That one.” Luhan said, having thought the same thing about the place as me. As we entered, a small old lady greeted us, smiling kindly. She led us to a table by the window, five large candles planted on it. The whole shop seemed to be filled with candles, a dull light filling the restaurant.

We ordered food and then, we sat there together, the atmosphere fantastic. All of the other couples were girl and boy-couples and they’d looked up when we’d entered, curious as to who the two new customers were. But there were no snide comments made from them and neither of them gave us weird looks. The lady hadn’t seemed strange about us either, but I think they all still knew that Luhan and me weren’t two normal dudes having a friendly dinner at this super romantic place.

No one paid us any attention anymore, tough. The customers having turned back to their own dates and the lady having walked off to cook us the food. She seemed to be alone managing the shop, which I found impressive at her old age.

“It’s strange to think that this really is our first real date as a couple.” I said “It feels like we have done this before.”

“Well, we did actually go on a date when we were still pretending.” Luhan said “Did you know that my heart was beating like crazy when the two of us went in to the cinema together.”

“It did?” I asked, surprised.

“Yeah.” Luhan confessed, blushing “Especially after you told me to cuddle up to you.” I smiled at the memory. It had been way back in the beginning and I’d only asked him such a thing to make the other’s at the cinema uncomfortable.

“And look at us now.” I smiled.

After a while, our food arrived and we began eating as we talked and laughed about anything and everything.

I finished before Luhan and then I let him eat in a comfortable silence as I looked at him with a smile on my lips. He wore a nice knitted cardigan and had cleaned up really well for the occasion, not that he used to look bad, he always looked good, but there was just something different about him today.

And then, the words were just there. It all just came flooding as I looked at him, the feelings I had for him, how happy he always made me and how lucky I felt when I had him by my side. He lightened up any bad day and I wanted him to be with every minute of every day if possible.

So I just let my tongue slip, opening it and speaking before I could control myself.

“I love you.” I said, warmth spreading throughout me as I’d said it.

Luhan, who’d just swallowed his food looked up at me, surprised. Then, he smiled, his cheeks reddening again.

“I love you too.” He said, eyes honest and beautiful. I reached out for his hand on the table and when our skin touched, it felt like fireworks within me. I hadn’t touched him for an hour or so with us being together and now, when I did, it was the nicest feeling ever.

His fingers laced together with mine and I swore I could’ve stayed in that moment forever.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

When we walked home from our date we took the longer way to get to Luhan’s house. Partly we chose to take that rout because it meant we could be out in the nice weather some more and extend the date, and partly we did it since it meant more backstreets which resulted in us being able to hold hands.

What we didn’t expect though, was that we were to spot our best friends.

We were just about to turn in to a larger street and had just let go of each other’s hands when we spotted Tao and Sehun walking down the large shopping street. They were talking about something neither of us could hear from the distance and it seemed like they were on their way to something.

I wanted to call out to them, to say hello, but Luhan stopped me.

“It seems like they didn’t want us to know they’re meeting outside of school.” Luhan said as I gave him a questioning look.

“What?” I asked “Why would they want that?”

“Because they’ve told neither of us of it.” Luhan said “We told them about our date, right? But they didn’t tell us anything back as to what they were gonna do this evening. Therefore, they obviously has a  reason as to not to tell us.”

When he said it, I remembered how both of them had been quiet when we’d asked them what they were going to do this evening, since we’d told them about our plans.

“But what’s the reason?” I asked and Luhan shrugged.

“I think they’ll tell us if it’s something important.” Luhan said “Just let them be.”

I sighed, a bit frustrated. Usually, I would just ask Tao if I ever wondered about something he did or didn’t do. But if Luhan thought it best to leave it alone, I would have to listen to him. I trusted him that much.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

When we got out of the elevator in Luhan’s apartment building, both of us had put Sehun and Tao in the back of our heads and had gone back to focus on us. It had been such a wonderful evening and now the clock was past nine and it had begun to darken outside.

Luhan pulled out his keys as we neared his door but just when he was about to put them in, he stopped himself.

“What is it?” I asked, worried at his suddenly cold expression.

“The door is unlocked.” He said having spotted that the piece of metal that should be clicked in to place between the door and the doorframe wasn’t there.

“Oh?” I asked “Did you forget to lock it, then?”

“No.” Luhan said “I didn’t.” He put his hand to the doorknob and pushed it, opening the door.

“Hello?” He called as he entered, me close behind him. At first, there was silence, but then we heard footsteps coming our way and to my surprise, Lujian turned up in front of us. I felt myself go cold. What did he want this time?

Lujian was dressed all in black, black chinos with a black sweater, his socks the only thing not black on him since they were light gray. His hair looked messy, as if he had just woken up or something, which I doubted since it wasn’t time for sleep just yet.

“What do you want?” Luhan asked his brother. Lujian opened his mouth to answer but then closed it again before he’d been able to say anything. “If you don’t have anything to say, then leave.”

“No, I do.” Lujian said, pushing the words out. I closed the door behind us, thinking that if this turned out in to a fight the neighbors wouldn’t nag too much since the door would soften the sounds.

“And what is it that you want to say?” Luhan asked, wanting his brother to get it over with, neither him nor I wanting him in the apartment right then. We wanted to finish our date, cuddle and make out and do all kinds of stuff, just as we’d become used to do when we were alone.

“I…” Lujian said, then sighed, looking defeated. There was really something different about Luhan’s brother today. Some of the arrogance which he’d had before was gone and he didn’t have that spark to him that he’d had before.

“I’ve come to apologize…” He said. I looked to Luhan, wondering if the other could explain who the hell had possessed Lujian’s body. I didn’t know Luhan’s brother that well, but he didn’t seem like the kind of guy who’d apologize. Luhan seemed as baffled as me.

Lujian opened his mouth and spoke again.

“…and I want to explain myself.” 




A/N

Hi guys! Sorry for updating so late! I had planned on updating you last weekend and then a week just passed without my knowledge and here we are! Sorry, lol. 

Okay, so here's the deal. This story will probably end with the next chapter. Why? Because I don't have much left to write after I've written what I want to put in the next chapter. I promise I'm not gonna make it weird and end with loose threds, I'll tie everything up in a nice knot! (You'll see!) But sadly, you'll probably have to wait a while for that update. I've promised to finish this story before or at August 19th, and that I will keep! You see, dear reader, tomorrow (Monday August 3) I will be entering a yearly marathon of reading (because I'm a big reader if you didn't know) and there I'll try to read a book a day, and if I focus all of my time on that I won't have any time left to write! And right after the readathon ends, it's my birthday and after my birthday (which is on August 10) I will be able to write again! But that leaves me with nine days to write the last chapter and I don't know how long that chapter will be or how much I need to get in to it so I have no idea how long it'll take me to write! But I hope you have patience~ And the last chapter will definitelly not be out later than August 19th, I promise you!

I hope you all are well and that I could make you a bit happier with updating! Now, I have 50 minutes until I need to start reading (The readathon starts at 00:00) so I bid you farwell so I can prepare myself for an intense week, haha! Wish me luck~

I'll see you sooner or later, bye~!