Chapter Four

The Fakefriend





“Good morning, darling!” My mother said as I walked down the staircase on Monday morning.

“Morning, mom.” I said, smiling brightly. I had had such a wonderful sleep, filled with dreams of happiness. I couldn’t really remember the dreams, but I could at least recall the good vibes it gave me.

“I see someone is happy.” My mother said as she laid the table for me, her and my father. “Is there any special occasion?”

“Nope.” I said and hugged her as I got down to her “I’m just in a really good mood.”

“Well, that’s nice.” She said “But if there is something you want to tell me, you know you can, right?”

“Of course I know that, mom!” I said as I helped her put out the breakfast. I had kind of told a lie, but it was a white one so I hoped I could be forgiven. I couldn’t possibly tell her that I’ve finally gotten rid of my stalkers because then I would’ve had to tell her that I had had stalkers to begin with, something me and my father had agreed on not telling her. She was not the kind of person who you could tell such things to. My mother was the kind of sensitive mother that you had to be careful around and I really didn’t want to cause her any unnecessary trouble.

“Good morning!” My dad said, bringing in the mail and putting on the counter. Haru was with him, our small little dog that we’d have since I was ten. My dad had named her, simply because he could make typical dad-jokes, like “What a wonderful haru we have today!” (Autors note: Haru means day in korean) and such, meanwhile holding the dog in his arms, looking at me and my mother like it was the funniest thing he had heard.

“It is, isn’t it?” I said, smiling happily.

“Someone woke up on the good side today!” He said, noticing my good mood.

“Is it that unusual for me to be happy?” I asked, shocked that both my mother and father had noted it.

“Well no, honey, but it’s just that you’re always grumpy when you wake up.” My mother said, smiling apologetically.

“That will change from now on.” I said and later on, when I left for school, I could’ve sworn my mother and father were whispering to each other, wondering if I had gotten myself a girlfriend or something. They weren’t entirely wrong.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

As I waited on Luhan, I was in a bliss. The sun was shining and the weather was finally becoming warm again after the winter, the trees were turning green once again and birds had begun singing. And best of all, there were no girls stalking me anymore. My and Luhan’s last little stunt must’ve really worked.

I heard a door open behind me and turned to find Luhan walking towards me, waving his goodbye to the doorman.

“Hi.” I said, smiling as he came closer.

“Hello.” Luhan said, returning my smile.

“Did you notice that we’re alone?” I asked, pointing to the bushes where girls had been hiding ever since I had begun walking with Luhan to school.

“We are!” Luhan said, pleasantly surprised that we really had succeeded “So it really worked, then.”

“What worked?” I asked, playing dumb just to hear him say it.

“You know…” Luhan mumbled, turning red. I couldn’t help myself from bringing him in to a bear-hug, tightly pressing him to my body.

“God, you’re so adorable.” I exclaimed “I’m just teasing you.”

“So it did really happen?” Luhan asked and I lightened my hold on him so I could look at his face.

“What did you think, silly?” I asked “that it was only a dream?”

“Kind of, yeah.” Luhan said “I’m not used to straight guys kissing me so a part of me kind of didn’t believe it.”

“Get used to it.” I said and before Luhan could protest, I leaned in for a quick kiss, his lips soft against mine. The small touch made my heart do a little happy dance inside my chest, matching my overall mood for the day. “I told you I’d make it in to a habit.”

“Yeah, I know.” He said, letting his fingers touch his lips, still blushing. He really was such a cute guy and I could barely believe that he willingly would play along in my little game. Guys like him just weren’t single, not when they looked like he did. I realized that the same thing probably was said about me, too, behind my back, and I found it kind of funny that the two of us had found each other like we had. We actually would make a great couple.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

“Oh how I wished I ‘d seen their faces.” I laughed after I had told the story from Saturday night to Tao at the beginning of our lunch break “I would’ve loved to see them break.”

“and that’s not sick at all.” Tao said sarcastically.

“Hey, they have been at me for years!” I said “Well, not only them, but ‘they’ as in girls. I need to feel happy about this!”

“You have every right to, Yixing.” Tao sighed “Sorry, I’m just a little grumpy. I’ve had a rough morning. I won’t rain on your parade.”

“What?” I asked “Why? What’s happened?”

“Oh, it’s nothing.” Tao said and like that I knew that was the end of the topic. Tao could be tough as iron if he wanted, unable to bend without some serious heat. “Are we joining Luhan and Sehun for lunch?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Yeah, they’ll be waiting for us in the cafeteria.” I said and like that, I went back to my happy mood. If Tao was sad about something, I could at least try to distract him with my own happiness.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

As we made our way to the cafeteria I knew people were talking again. They always seemed to find me interesting somehow. I knew that this time, it was probably because of what had happened on Saturday because if I knew one thing for sure, it was that my former stalkers were unable to keep their mouths shut - not that I minded in this situation.

When we got to the cafeteria, I saw Luhan stand with Sehun and wait for us outside. They were talking about something and when I got there, I couldn’t help but try something new out.

“Hi, baby!” I said and grabbed hold of Luhan, surprising him with a kiss in the cheek.

“Baby?” He asked, looking shocked.

“Not working?” I asked, my arm around his shoulders.

“It’s fine, I guess.” Luhan said, a small bit of color creeping over his face. It was fun how easily Luhan’s skin changed and I wondered if he always were blushing like he did when I wasn’t around. Maybe it was only because of our bizarre situation.

I looked up to find Sehun stare at me hatefully, his eyes seeming to scream out the words ‘I don’t like you’. Wonder why, I thought, thinking if I had done anything that could’ve offended him.

“Food, Yixing!” Tao exclaimed, nudging me to let go of Luhan and walk forward.

“Yeah, yeah.” I said, grabbing hold of Luhan’s hand instead when we went to find a table, almost as if on reflex. I had kind of become accustomed to always touch him when we were seen in public together, even though it had only been a week.  It kind of felt weird when I wasn’t touching him. Whenever my skin touched his, I felt calm, like Luhan had some kind of magic salve all over his body that made people who touch him feel good.

During lunch, people were looking at us. Me and Luhan were our usual self whilst neither Tao nor Sehun seemed that keen on sitting with us. Sehun apparently was born with a bad mood and Tao was obviously battling something of his own, something I wanted to help him with if I could but since he didn’t allow me to know what was up, it became impossible.

Once our break was over and our stomachs filled with food, me and Tao walked with Luhan and Sehun to their classroom. Or more like, I walked with Luhan there and the two of them happened to be tagging along. The air around the four of us was a bit weird since the other two of our band of four was so different from me and Luhan.

“I’ll see you after school.” I told Luhan as I left him off at his classroom but before I could leave, I leaned in for a kiss, this time, Luhan wasn’t as surprised. He still blushed, but it wasn’t shock that I saw in his eyes afterwards.

“Was that really necessary?” Tao asked after we’d left the first years.

“What?” I asked “The kiss?”

“Yeah,” Tao said “don’t you find it a little weird yourself?”

“Hmm…” I said, pretending to think. The answer was already obvious. “No.” I said and smiled, why would I think kissing weird? Especially kissing with someone like Luhan. Sure, he was a guy but his lips definitely didn’t feel any different from a girl’s. 

“But you do know that he’s male, right?” Tao asked “people usually at least seem a little faced by it.”

“It’s actually quite pleasant.” I told him “you should try it.”

“No thanks.” Tao said “I’ll stick to girls, thank you very much.” I knew the truth in that. Tao was the opposite of me who avoided relationships like they were the plague. Right now, he had gone though at least five girlfriends during the past year and strangely, for once, he was now single again.

“Coward!” I laughed “you can always kiss me if you ever want to try, you know?”

“Yixing,” Tao said, sighing “I said no.” I turned to him in surprise, he sounded almost kind of mad.

“Why the tone?” I asked, rising my eyebrows.

“I already told you, it’s nothing!” Tao said and now, I was definitely sure that he sounded mad. I took hold of his arm and dragged him with me to a side-corridor where people wouldn’t interrupt us as much.

“What are you doing!?” He asked me “class is starting any minute now!”

“I know.” I said “but this is more important. What is it Tao? What is it that has happened?”

Noth-“ he began but I cut him off.

“Don’t say ‘nothing’ when we both know it’s something.” I  said “You’ve been acting weird all day so if you don’t tell me I’m-“

“Yixing.” Tao said, warningly “it’s just a bad day, okay?”

“Are you sure about that?” I asked and for a moment, it seemed like Tao was about to crack and tell me something but then he shook his head, shaking the thought off.

“We can talk about it after school, if you are free.”

“It will have to be in the evening, then.” I said “I’ve promised to go out with Luhan first.”

“Of course you have.” Tao sighed.

“I have a reputation to uphold.” I said, sticking my tongue out to him.

“Yeah, I know.” He said and for the first time that day, he smiled.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

“So did he seem sad or…?” Luhan asked, sipping on his milkshake.

“I don’t know.” I told him “Tao isn’t the kind of guy who gets sad but it seemed like something had happened.”

We were sitting on a café, sharing a table with the two of us having bought our self something nice to eat and drink. I was currently sipping on my own cup of coffee. Our hands were intertwined, laying on the table in plain sight for anyone who looked to see. I had noticed some people looking at us with weird looks, but I only found that amusing. I could kind of call this our second date, something that made me unusually warm to think about.

“Shouldn’t you be there for him, then?” Luhan asked which made me smile. He was concerned for someone he didn’t even know, how sweet of a guy was he?

“Yes, and I will.” I told him, squeezing his hand “We’ll be meeting at five.”

“Send him my love.” Luhan said which made me smile even more.

“I will.” I said, kissing him on the cheek. It felt like I would overdo it if I were to kiss him on the mouth so I restrained myself to one on his cheek, enjoying the softness of his skin.

“People are staring…” Luhan whispered, his eyes looking around us as I leaned back again.

“I know.” I said, still holding his hand in mine.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

 I was meeting Tao in the park between our houses, the same place me and Tao along with our friends used to play soccer when we were younger. It was a place filled with memories and even though I hadn’t been to the park for a while, nothing really had changed since last.

Tao was sitting on one of the swings at the swing set and I waved a hello to him as I got closer.

“How’d it go with Luhan?” Tao asked as I took the spot on the swing next to his.

“Good.” I said “We got some weird looks but other than that, it was great. He told me to say hello.”

“He seems like a nice guy.” Tao said, smiling slightly “the two of you fit each other.”

“Jealous?” I asked, laughing.

“Kind of, yeah.” Tao said “You two make me want to get myself a partner, too.”

“Then why don’t you?” I asked and that’s when I saw his eyes change. Tao only got that look when talking about one thing, or rather, on person. I knew this was going to be bad.

“Is this about Mire?” I asked and saw that I had guessed right. Mire was Tao’s secret crush, someone he had been yearning for years for but had never gotten the courage to act. She was three years older than us, had been our friend’s big sister, and Tao had been in love with her for what felt like forever.

“What happened?” I asked and Tao bit his lip, staring up at the sky.

“She’s getting married.” He said “she told me this morning.” The words shocked me, making me wonder where such a thing had come from. How could a boyfriend miss Tao when he even knew when she got home from university and who visited her.

Tao and Mire lived in the same house, so it wasn’t like Tao was a stalked or something, more like he just saw these kinds of things when he looked out his kitchen window. Living close by was something that had hurt Tao more than it had made him happy since getting closer to her was not that great of a thing when you tried to forget something that had never even started.

I clearly remembered Mire from when we were younger and how kind she had been to each and every one of us, always caring about us even though we to her were just small boys back then. When we started high school, she and Tao had become friends against all odds, something that had made Tao even more in love with her.

“Did you know she kissed me last week?” Tao asked “just like that, she just kissed me and afterwards, when I asked her why, she just told me she had wanted to try it before it was too late.”

“Wait, what!?” I said, in shocked “she kissed you? Why didn’t you tell me? And what did she mean with ‘before it was too late’?”

“I don’t know what she meant, but one thing is for sure, it was a onetime thing.” Tao sighed “I didn’t want to tell you just because of that possibility, afraid that I would get encourage by nothing and get you excited, too. Guess I was right to shut up.”

“But getting married?” I said in disbelief “I didn’t even know she had a boyfriend.”

“Me neither.” Tao sighed and I could hear the agony in his voice.

“I’m so sorry.” I said, trying to fit myself in to his situation. What a shock it must’ve been. First, having the one you’ve been in love with for years kiss you and then having been told that she was getting married!? Tao wasn’t the one who showed his true feelings to others but I had known how much he really had loved her and even though I had tried to convince him to get over her and he had tried to fall in love with others, nothing had really worked.

“You don’t have to be.” He said “It’s not your fault and it was just a matter of time anyway. Sooner or later, she would’ve found someone to love.”

“Yeah…” I said, feeling gloomy “but why kiss you?”

“I don’t know!” Tao exclaimed “Just for fun? Because she knew I wanted to or just because she could? Anyway, it doesn’t matter anymore. It’s too late.”

“Maybe.” I said, burying my feet in the sand.

“Don’t be like me, Yixing.” Tao said seriously “if you love someone, just go for it when you have the chance.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, thinking I heard something underlying in his words.

“I just mean that when you find love, go for it.” Tao said and with that, we both sat quiet, looking up at the sky as it darkened and became black. 




A/N
Hello again! Ah, chapter 4 is finally up! You have no idea how busy I've been this past week and I'm sorry for having kept you waiting but now it's finally here! Not that much layhan but I felt like the story needed something more happening so I put this little drama in to the picture! I hope you don't mind~

I don't know when I'll be able to update next because school is really hectic right now and I don't have the time >_> I'll see what I can do!

BYE!