Chapter Eighteen

The Fakefriend





I hated everything about this. Everything. I may have felt relieved the second after I’d said it but once I saw  the look upon my parents’ face’s everything happy about the moment went away.

My mother had open, stuck between silence and speaking. Small wheezing noises made their way out of her open mouth but real words and sentences were out of the question. Her eyes were wide, glassy clear as if she was about to cry or something and just at the thought of my mother crying over this I couldn’t look at her anymore. So I turned away.

My dad on the other hand, sat still like stone, as if my words had worked like a freezing beam and had trapped my father in to always keeping the same expression. His eyes looked baffled but the rest of him was set, as if he was biting his teeth together, his mouth forming a small line. The only thing moving was his eyes, darting from me to Luhan and then back to me, over and over again.

I felt sick and I could swear I was as pale as a ghost and even though I knew I should probably say something I just couldn’t. I couldn’t let out a single sound. I was petrified that if I began to speak again, they were too and whatever would exit their mouths wouldn’t be something I would enjoy, that I felt certain of.

Surprisingly, Luhan was the one who spoke first.

“At least I am younger than him.” He said in an attempt to make my parents feel better since they had been insisting on how much better it would be for me if I was in love with someone younger, though the key word for them must’ve still been girl.

“Ha.” My mother breathed out, wanting to be polite and laugh when someone was making a bad joke but of course she failed miserably.

Then there was silence again until I spoke.

“So, I would like you to meet my boyfriend.” I said, my voice breaking as I spoke, too heartbroken about how this was all going down to even manage a fake smile.

“Oh.” My mother said, glancing to Luhan and then back at me. It seemed that from now on, she could only utter two letter words.

Luhan carefully grabbed hold of my hand, wanting me to know that he was right there with me. I glanced his way and saw how truly sorry he was, how concerned he was about my future relationship with my parents and how this would all work out. Because it was clear they didn’t take this revelation that well.

My mother stood up abruptly and muttered something about needing some water before she left the room, leaving me and Luhan with my frozen father. I could hear my mother go up the stairs but other than that, I had no idea what she was doing.

There was silence again and I felt like I was going to faint from all the tension between the three of us.

“Are you serious about this?” My father asked, his voice more sober than I had ever heard it before. It was as if he was speaking at someone’s funeral and for him, maybe it was. The funeral of his normal straight son.

“Yes.” I said, not being able to say anything besides that.

“And you’re certain you’re in love with… him?” My father asked, having trouble uttering the pronoun.

“Yes, I am.” I said and I was proud of that ‘I am’. It sounded so much more sincere and in my own ears, it also sounded like a grown up speaking.

“And do you care for my son?” My father asked, this time to Luhan.

“Yes, I truly do, sir.” Luhan said and I could tell my dad was making him nervous.

My dad let out a sigh.

He closed his eyes for a few seconds.

Then opened them again.

And he said

“That’s all I could ever wish for you to have, Yixing.”

“It is?” I asked, shocked at his words.

“Yes.” My father confirmed and then smiled a thin smile “I may have thought that you would have that with a girl and I can honestly say that I’m currently in shock but at the same time, I want you to be happy.”

I didn’tknow how it happened but suddenly, tears were falling down my face. I was certain that my parents were going to hate me for this, especially after that first initial reaction but for my dad to say something like that to me…

“You really mean that?” I asked and he nodded.

“What parent doesn’t want their kid to be happy?” He asked me and I shrugged my shoulders “Both me and your mom need some time to take it all in but I hope that this will soon feel like normal.”

“Oh, mom.” I said, remembering how she’d stormed out of the room.

“I’ll talk to her.” My dad said “she’s probably only shocked. I’m certain she won’t hate either of you for this.” My dad turned to Luhan who looked even more nervous now than before “I hope you’ll take care of my boy.”

“Of course, sir!” Luhan said, sounding uptight and proper. My dad cracked a smile at him.

“I’m gonna find your mom.” My dad said “You two could eat if you’d like. We will be down later.”

“Okay dad.” I said and then added “Thank you.” To my surprise, my dad dragged me in to a hug and after he’d hugged me for a few second, he beckoned Luhan over, hugging the two of us at the same time.

“No, thank you for telling us.” My dad answered and then, he left to find mom.

That left me and Luhan alone in the living room.

Once my dad was out of not only sight but ear shot, I collapsed back in the sofa, dragging Luhan with me in to my arms. I burrowed my face in the nook of his neck and breathed him in, feeling strength in his smell.

I felt weak and happy and all kinds of feelings all at once and it was too much for me to handle. Luhan patted my back gently as I squeezed him closer. He was my rock in all of this, all I needed was him there by my side and I would be fine.

“Did that go good or bad?” I asked him.

“I would say… it went fine.” Luhan said “Some things could’ve been better but it wasn’t bad in any way. I just think you’ll need to give them some time to process the whole thing and then everything will be fine.”

“You think?” I asked, looking up at him.

“Yes.” Luhan said “I wish I could say that I know it, but since I don’t, I’m not going to tell you that I do.”

I smiled at him, happy that he would tell me the truth and not make up some lie just to make me feel better. For me, that was a quality to treasure.

“Should we go eat something?” I asked him and he looked thoughtful, thinking it over.

“You sure I shouldn’t go home?” he asked “I mean, your mother may have it tough enough without me at your dinner table.”

“She would never say no to a guest.” I told him “and something tells me that she won’t be down for a while…” I felt sad saying it but I would give my mom the time she needed, that was the least I could do.

I knew that it wasn’t my fault, exactly, that she’d reacted like she did. Firstly, I couldn’t help but fall in love with the one I fell in love with. Secondly, it was her feelings and not mine that had brought us here. And thirdly, nothing of this would’ve happened if Lujian hadn’t been pushing for it. Sure, I would’ve had to tell them one day but if I had had time to prepare them for it like Tao had said I should’ve, they may not have been as shocked.

But I had no power over that now, what was done was done and that was that.

tumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpgtumblr_njznzcIzRK1tfzvjjo1_540.jpg

Me and Luhan ended up eating by our self, me glancing up to the second floor several times, wanting my parents to be down here with us.

But they didn’t come down and when it was time for Luhan to leave, I kissed him goodbye by my gate, him insisting on going home by himself since he wanted me to talk to my parents instead. Reluctantly, I had listened to his wishes.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said and kissed him one last time before he waved me goodbye and left, leaving me alone to face my mom and dad back in the house.

As I closed the front door, I heard a door open upstairs and a few moments later, my dad came back down, my mother close behind him.

“Where’s…” My father said, looking around him.

“Luhan?” I asked and he nodded “He went home after we’d eaten.”

“Oh.” My father said and then he turned back to my mother and spoke to her “You’ll have to talk to him later, then. “

“Talk to him?” I asked my mother who finally met my eyes, still looking confused and also tired. But there was no hate in them, no disappointment or sadness. That made me hopeful.

“She just wanted to exchange a few words.” My father answered instead of her “You know, like mother’s do.”

“No, I don’t know.” I said to which my father smiled.

“Then you’ll have to guess.” My dad said, making me feel frustrated.

“Just don’t…” I said, looking to my mom “make him sad.” At that, my mom suddenly burst out in tears and ran down the last couple of stairs and took me in to a big hug.

“Mom?” I asked, her squeezing me so hard that I couldn’t even hug her back, my arms stuck under hers.

“I’m so, so, so sorry, darling.” She cried “I shouldn’t have reacted like I did, storming out the room like that and then not coming down to even say good bye to…”

“My boyfriend.” I filled in, saying the word out to them filling me with a panic mixed with happiness. It felt wrong to say it to them like that, but still oh so right.

“Yes.” My mom said, loosening her hug so that she could look at me. “Your boyfriend.”

“So, you weren’t going to tell him off or something? “ I asked, still worried that was what ‘a few words’ entailed.

“No!” My mother said, sounding shocked at me even thinking such a thing “Nothing like that. I just want to talk to him like any mother would like to speak to the one their son or daughter has a relationship with.”

“Oh.” I said “Then… would you like for him to come over tomorrow or is that too soon?”

“I think that sounds great.” My father said “We would love to get to know him more, right honey?”

“Absolutely.” My mother agreed “And I promise to not act like I did earlier. I was just in total shock.”

I s my way out of her arms to stand between her and dad. I knew they must’ve been filled with so many questions, I could see it in their eyes. They were looking at me like they wanted to get to know this new side of me but they just weren’t sure how. So I decided to help them.

“So, you can ask all the questions you want.” I said “I owe you that at least.”

And that lead to me sitting with them by the table as they ate dinner. My mom asked if I wanted a second serving but I declined, already full from previously. I nibbled on a piece of bread, though. But that was only because I didn’t want to feel way too out of place. It was weird being the only one not eating at a table.

“So, are you completely all for guys now or…?” My dad began, the first question he wanted answered.

“Truthfully?” I asked to which my dad nodded “I’m not really sure. You all know I’ve had my fair share of girlfriends.” My mother laughed at that.

“You’ve had more than a fair share, honey.” She said because she knew it was true. She saw how girls looked at me when we were on the street together, she knew that I’d had a lot of female guests at our house, both when they were home and when they weren’t.

“Okay, maybe I’ve had a lot of girls.” I said “But… I don’t know. I didn’t really get it back then and now when I’ve met Luhan, it feels… right. And I’ve never felt that before with girls. So does that make me gay? I don’t know.”

“But you must understand our shock at least?” My dad asked “You’ve always only had girls and we thought you liked the ones you dated so it all seems kind of unreal to be honest.”

“I understand that.” I acknowledged. “More questions?”

“When did it start?” My mom asked and on and on the questions went. Some of them were kind of dumb, like ‘Maybe it’s just because Luhan looks a little girly, have you thought of that?’ and stuff like that but I tolerated it, they had never had any experience with this topic before so it was only natural for them to have some dumb questions too, just to make their view of it all a bit clearer.

Once I got to bed after my parents had seemed satisfied I found that I had a text from Luhan waiting for me.

How are things over there? He asked.

It’s calmed down. I wrote back They’ve asked me so many questions about it all that I now feel like I will need a week of sleep to rest both my brain and jaw.

But they’re not mad, right?
Luhan answered quickly

No, still shocked I believe, but not mad. I wrote and then added in a second text: They want you to come over tomorrow, my mom wants to talk to you.

Should I be worried?
He asked, half as a joke and half seriously.

My mom said she just wanted to talk to you like she would talk to anyone else I was serious about so I don’t know, should you?

Probably, then? ;)

Absolutely! She’s gonna eat you alive! O_O
I joked back, smiling.

I’ll be ready! Luhan answered, then sent a second text:  I’ll see you tomorrow, I miss you in my bed~

I felt myself go all tingly at that second text and right then, I wished I could teleport myself to Luhan’s bedroom so that I could feel him right next to me when I fell asleep.

I miss you too… Sleep tight <3

Luhan replied with a single heart emoji back and then I fell asleep, still holding the phone in my hand as I thought of Luhan.




A/N

Hi guys! Sorry for leaving you like that last time! But it was either that or you'd have to wait for a super duper long chapter that would come out later, I thought it was better to update two shorter ones! (But if you disagree, that's fine! :P)

I have one day left at work and then I'll be freeee~ Wohoo! I still have it as my goal to finish this story before August 19th but we'll see! Lately, I've had so much inspiration to work on another story alongside this one but I'm restraining myself, not wanting to devote my time to my new project when I have to finish this one first! (Or honestly, I have two new projects, One a BaekYeol and the other a VKook (BTS, because I'm almost as obsessed with them as I am with EXO) I'm gonna finish this before starting someting new, though! I wouldn't be able to handle everything if I had more than one fic to update! To those of you out there who also write fanfics, do you normally work on several stories at the same time or do you stick to one until you've finished that one? I'm curious as to how those of you who do more than one manages! 

Anyway, I'll try to update again this weekend since I don't have to worry about work anymore after tomorrow, but we'll see! ^^ 

BYE~ Love you <3