Chapter 4

Wanderlust: An EXO Fanfiction

Kuri sat alone in her room, taking a deep breath as she glanced at the clock on the bedside table. Bright red digits announced that it was just after 9 in the morning. She plopped back onto her bed, trying to calm her racing heart.

 

It's today.

 

Today was the day of the promised interview, and she had just received news that in addition to Kris, she was to interview the rest of EXO as well. Kuri fought back the panic rising in as she gripped her pillow tightly.

 

Calm down. You're only like this because it's your first big interview.

 

Her phone suddenly buzzed on the bedside table, a soft beep indicating that she had a message. She groaned and reached lazily over to grab her phone, ignoring the picture of Kris that was her wallpaper. The text turned out to be from Seo-Yeon, wishing her luck for the interview.

 

Don't worry, I wouldn't have sent you on this trip if I didn't know you could handle it. I have faith in you, don't destroy that faith, Kuri (:

 

She groaned inwardly. "Is that your way of pressurizing people?" She asked her phone, even though she knew her team leader wouldn't be able to hear her.

 

Her phone buzzed again a moment later with another text from Seo-Yeon.

 

Yes. That was my own little way of pressurizing people.

 

Kuri sighed and shook her head, unable to suppress her grin.

 

I can do this. Seo-Yeon has faith in me.

 

Suddenly energized, Kuri got up from her bed, sifting through her clothes for something nicer to wear for her interview.

 

Fifteen minutes later, she had decided on an unadorned white dress, smiling happily as she pulled the soft material over her head.

 

Now for the final touch.

 

She applied minimal make up, just enough to cover any blemishes before she put on the small floral headband that had caught her eye from a shop window the day before. She also decided on simple brown sandals and left her dark hair flowing free, smiling in satisfaction as she looked at her reflection in the mirror.

 

That looks better than a business suit anyways.

 

She decided to head down to the function room where the interview was to take place earlier than the expected time to go over her questions, and it was with a relaxed spirit that she headed out of her room before she stopped short.

 

Nessa and Kris were a little way down the corridor, their quiet voices too faint for her to make out. But she was smiling, laughing lightly as she hit his arm playfully. Kuri watched all this from the doorway of her room, not daring to interrupt them, stunned at how close they seemed to be.

 

A moment passed, then two, and just as she began to turn back into her room, intending to wait till they went off before going back in, when she saw the other female reach up and tug on Kris' collar, pulling him into the room they were outside. This action surprised the watcher, and she walked back into her room, closing the door gently and sitting on her bed, shocked at the act she had just witnessed. That moment... With two such attractive people, it didn't really take a genius to figure out what they were going to do, right?

 

Calm down. It's probably not what you think it is.

 

If it's not, then why the hell did they appear so close?

 

They might just be good friends. Besides. What's it to you that a pretty journalist that you just met might be sleeping with your idol?

 

Kuri realized the answer as soon as she had the thought.

 

Jealousy.

 

She was jealous of the other woman, with her expertise in writing, her drop-dead gorgeous looks and not to mention her close relationship with the idols. The jealousy was so overwhelming it hurt.

 

But you're okay the way you are too.

 

She told herself that weakly, trying to dispel the negative feelings. 

 

Whatever it is, don’t let it affect your job. You were sent here for a reason.

 

It was due to this thought that Kuri found herself sitting in the function room ten minutes later, fidgeting nervously in her chair as the clock slowly ticked away the seconds to ten o'clock, the appointed interview time.

 

By 9:55, however, most of the members were already assembled, with the exception of three people- Suho, Kris and Baekhyun. The boys were chatting loudly, each vying for the others’ attention. Kuri just sat at the table silently, looking down at the pattern carved into the wood awkwardly.

 

Just make small talk before it gets too awkward!!

 

Kuri turned to the nearest person on her left, which turned out to be Tao.

 

“Um… Hey. Nin jin tian hai hao ma? (Are you alright/How are you today?)” She managed to get out, and was surprised when the boy burst into laughter, making her frown, sure she had said something wrong. “Wo hen hao, er ni ye bu yong na me ke qi ma, wo men ying gai shi tong nian ling ba? (I’m fine, and you don’t have to be so polite, we should be the same age right?)” He smiled “ni shi cong na li xue jiang hua wen de? (Where did you learn to speak Chinese?)” He asked, looking genuinely curious. “Ah… Wo zai zhong guo zu le yi zhen zi, ke shi yi jing hen jiu mei you yong hua wen yu ren gou tong, suo yi xian zai dui wo lai shuo you yi dian nan yong. (I lived in China for a while, but I haven’t used Chinese to communicate with others in a very long time, so it’s a little hard for me now.)” She smiled apologetically. “zhen de ma? Yi dian dou kan bu chu lai, wo jue de hai hao ba? (really? it’s not very obvious, I think it’s fine?)” He said, before turning to the clock. “A, shi jian dao le, wo men ying gai yao kai shi le ba? (Ah, it’s time, we should start now right?)” He asked, and she nodded, looking around and sighing in relief when she realized the missing members had slipped in during their talk.

 

The other members shut up abruptly, watching her expectantly before Chanyeol spoke up. “Oh! You’re that girl from the airport the other day!” he announced triumphantly, as though he finally figured out where he had seen her. Kuri nodded in acknowledgement, cringing slightly as she saw the glare Baekhyun shot at her.

 

If looks could kill…

 

The one and a half hour allocated for the interview ticked by a little too quickly for Kuri’s liking, as she slowly forgot her fear in the process of getting to know that group of super friendly and overly excited boys. As Nessa promised, they didn’t let any personal matters get in the way of their interview, since Baekhyun answered the questions thrown his way readily and with his ever-present smile.

 

It was with an unwilling sigh that she ended the interview, while thanking EXO for their time and presenting them with the small gifts she had bought the day before. She wasn’t sure if that was actually the norm, but since this was her first real interview…

 

As the boys filed out of the function room with choruses of ‘thanks, Kuri!’ she sat down at the table, organizing all her notes with a soft sigh when a shadow fell over her. Curious, she looked up and into the smiling eyes of Tao.

 

“Wo shi xiang, jing ran ni gei le wo yi fen li wu, wo ye ying gai gei ni yi yang dong xi ba. Ba ni de shou da kai. (I was thinking, since you gave me a present, I should give you something too. Open your hand)” he said before dropping a small stuffed toy panda keychain in her hand. “A, um… xie xie! (Thank you!)” She called as he turned to leave, and she caught sight of the other panda keychain she had given him. She smiled as she saw the sight, settling down once again to do her notes with a light heart.

 

If it was possible, I’d like to be friends with him and the rest of EXO.

 

Her heart’s silent wish went unanswered, but when she picked up the keychain Tao had given her, she felt warmth course through her.

 

I made the right choice in deciding to be a journalist after all.  

 

[A/N] Hey! So my exams are over and technically that means I can write more now but I'm heading to overseas for a family vacation soon ugh so I might not update until I'm back ): but on a side note I'm still internally fangirling over my first comment and subscriber!! (": Thank you @athousandwords for your comment and subscribe, it means a lot to me (: and whee ! I'm actually quite happy with this chapter, so let me know what you guys think? ^^ Reviews are always appreciated! <3