Chapter 18

Wanderlust: An EXO Fanfiction

As they waited for their dishes to arrive, Kuri noticed that dark clouds were gathering outside.

"It looks like we'll be stuck here." She murmured as she watched the other patrons leave hurriedly, not wanting to be caught in the rain.

"Well, that's alright. The driver won't be back till evening anyway." Tao said, unconcerned as he studied a painting of a beautiful woman behind him.

As soon as their food arrived, Kuri raised her hand, looking almost sheepish when the old man looked strangely at her.

"Yes, my dear? Is there anything else you require?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "Yes, do you happen to have time? Could you tell us more about your granddaughter?" She asked politely, and she noted, with a tinge of pity, the pained expression that crossed her grandfather's face.

"Well..." He pulled up a chair. "I guess I could spare some time. There doesn't seem to be any customers left besides you two anyway." He laced his fingers together on the table, cleared his throat, and began to tell his story.

"When my daughter first got married, I admit I hadn't been very supportive. Her husband had been rich, yes, but he had had many filthy habits. He spent all his time gambling, smoking, drinking, and womanizing. But she had persisted, insisted that it was true love. It wasn't long before she snapped under the pressure, the pain of seeing him with other women. I hadn't been very empathetic at the time, which I suppose only added to her burden. It was only after three years that she finally decided was enough, and she had divorced the guy. Good riddance, I'd said. But within a year, she was dating yet another rich man, but this time, he was sweet, kind and caring towards her. 'What if it's a trap?' I had asked her. 'A gentleman is usually just a patient wolf.' 'He's not a wolf. He loves me, and I love him.' She had said, and against my wishes, had married him. My wife had been the supportive one, always comforting her and going along with her wishes. But I was wrong. He turned out to be better, far better than her previous husband had been to her. And when they gave me a granddaughter, I couldn't have been more proud. But alas, good things never last. One day, in a fit of anger following a heated argument, she had packed her bags and left, taking her husband and my only grandchild with her. And I haven't seen them since."

"Do you know of any method you could use to identify your granddaughter?" Kuri asked carefully, listening intently for his answer.

"Yes." He finally said after a long pause. "She has a heart shaped birthmark on her right shoulder; I remember seeing it the day she was born." He murmured, trying hard to remember.

"Something like this?" Kuri asked, brushing her dark hair aside to reveal the mark on her shoulder. "Yes- wait..." The old man suddenly seemed too stunned for words, before tears began to fill his eyes and spill over. "Wo de bao bei shui jing, shi ni ma? (My precious crystal, is that you?)" He asked tentatively, as if afraid it was a dream as he reached out to take Kuri's face in his shaky hands. "It's me, grandpa." She said quietly, unable to help the tears that gathered in her eyes.

Her grandfather embraced her quickly, before turning and calling for his wife.

"Dear! Dear! It's our shui jing! She has returned home!!" He yelled, and heard his wife shuffling out from the kitchen, grumbling softly. "How many times must I tell you-" she stopped in her tracks when she saw Kuri, and Kuri could see her gaze zeroing in on the mark on her shoulder.

"Is that... Really her?" She whispered, moving over to take a closer look at the mark.

"My mum is Lin Zhen Xin and my dad is Kim Sung-Min if that helps." Kuri piped up helpfully, and she watched as the couple's eyes widened.

"It IS her!" Her grandmother gasped, before enveloping Kuri in a tight hug. "But however did you find us?" She asked, amazed at how Kuri could be standing there, in the flesh after so many years had passed.

"He brought me here." Kuri gestured towards Tao, who seemed shocked to suddenly be brought into the conversation. He quickly cleared his throat. "Yeah... I was the one who brought her here. I've heard a lot about this place and decided it was the best for a..." He searched for the right word "... Date." He finished lamely.

"Are you her boyfriend? But aren't you a member of that super popular Korean boy band?" Her grandmother asked, surprised. "Yes, and yes, she interviewed us before and we kinda got along well and all that so..." He said, ruffling his hair in a manner Kuri had grown to know meant he was feeling stressed,shy or embarrassed. She was about to laugh when the full meaning of his words sank in.

Wait. Since when were we in a relationship?!

"Well then, Kuri is lucky to have you." Her grandfather clasped Tao's hand tightly, smiling brightly. "Please take care of our little shui jing then." he continued, releasing his hand. Tao nodded, a smile on his face as well.

"I'll do my best."

[A/N omg it feels like forever since I updated omo I'm so sorry..! >^< but it's like been hectic the past few days so I've only had the time and energy to post now orz but I'll probably post only every 2-3 days from now on because life is kinda really wearing me out :< hopefully I'll free up more time soon so that I can write! Also, I'm terribly sorry for the short chapter, especially since the update took so long, but I have a longer chapter in my drafts so I'll probably post that soon as well ^^ I hope you enjoyed this chapter and that you'll look forward to the next one! ^-^ <3 thanks for stopping by and if you guys like this story, please remember to read/review/vote/share it!! ^^ thank you <3]