Every Possible Mistake

Scrabbling Feelings
okay, it was summer and i totally forgot about my promise.
i feel really bad but i really , no need to remind me...
this piece of idunnowhat is an odd couple (that i like?).
it was inspired by the song New Soul by Yael Naim.
hope you like:D

 

 

She was a new soul, like the others. Carelessly floating through life, grasping any form of inspiration. Deciding what direction to take her mundane life in, choosing from the chain of possible roads. Unlike most, she took things in stride. Observed nature for what it was, took life for what it was meant to be. Fogs of smug and unfamiliar faces met no difference in her expectant body. She was just Amber, the young soul. Making every possible mistake the inexperienced mind could make. One of them is including stumbling over the street performer’s guitar.

The sun beamed on the roots of her hair, radiating heat under her fringe. She stepped back, peering over the sweat dripping from the strands of her bangs. Mouth crooked and cheeks flushed, she bowed endlessly. The man grumbled, fingers hovering over the tangled clump of broken strings.

"Do you know how much this cost?"

"Not at all sir. I'll pay you back", she gulped. Her hands subconsciously traced the lining of her school uniform, pants clutching to her fragile skin from the tension.

"How do you expect to do that? You're still in high school", the man sighed heavily. He flopped himself on the park bench, pupils entranced by the shifting clouds. Amber mentally gawked at the behavior.

"You know, I was supposed to go to your high school", the street performer began. His voice rasped against the rough screams of city life. "This year too. But I guess I look older than I really am."

"What happened"? The girl edged with interest.

"I found my life. Anyway, you can just pay me back by buying my CD when it’s out there".

His smile itched with confidence, disintegrating any part of a shattered heart. Amber, bowed, waved and went off. Inspired to find her own life.

-----------

"These will be the new trainees", the man smiled at the two separate line of people. He stepped back, acquaintance far from the squeaking of his shoes. The stylish soul roared with bravery as he stepped forward unannounced. Glittering with courage, he offered his hand to each and every girl, eyebrow quirking when reaching a certain presence.

"You are going to be part of Super Junior?"

"No the new girl group", Amber mumbled. The foreign language slid off her tongue with disgust. "If you haven't noticed, I'm a girl". Her eyes rolled, along with her simmering patience. The stares of admiration from the giggling girls across the hall finally subsided at the clarification. Her boiling top dived under the cover of her baseball hat.

"Well you look like you have basketball legs", the one whose eyes flamed with charisma spoke up. Ascending from the concealment of his back, a basketball thumped to the floor. Its steady beat dribbled to complete silence, an array of competition sparking between the boundaries of gender.

"That I do have", she smirked.

"Noona! You can be our new basketball friend", the youngest and also cutest cheered.

"But just because you're a girl, it doesn't mean we're going to go easy on you". Vocal cords vibrated against tissue, creating a tone even the healthiest of angels couldn't replicate. Eye squinted, Amber searched for the owner, brain procuring any fond memory. But her mind was vacant, striving for the new beginning she knew was necessary. The future members of SHINee and F(x) scurried to the basketball court before dawn enveloped them in a new wave of friendship.

------

"Jong, I need your boost of confidence. Now" Amber clenched the silk fabric of the stage curtain, fingers trembling. Thousands of fans bellowed in the crowd, falling the base of music. Stage lights fogged the worn floor of the stage, decades of memorable footsteps displayed". It was their debut of Nu Abo and Amber couldn't remember how much she wished she never made the bloody suggestion of an all Korean part. English was her strong point, along with her godly looks that made members of both genders swoon. Making a fool of herself was nowhere near her future plans.

"You'll do great Amber".

"I need a little more than that".

"Your Korean is so much better now".

"Okay".

"And you won’t mess up".

"That sounds great."

"Yup, so before on stage let me give you some luck." Jonghyun smirked placing his hand on the girl's shoulder. He gaped his mouth slightly; tongue ready to spew a life changing rant. But instead, he twirled with her loose strands of hair and crashed his lips on hers. Startled she pulled back, grateful enough to realize the invasion had only reached the surface.

"What the hell was that for?"

"Good luck. These lips make the best music ever, best friend." He disappeared behind another layer of curtains leaving the girl to jumble her courage on stage.

-----

"They say we can be the next star couple", Jonghyun lifted the hem of his shirt swiping off the glaze of sweat on his neck.

"That's great Jonghyun. Maybe you can get your new album recognized even more", the basketball rotated on her finger.

"This time it's serious, Amber. I think I really like her.”

The ball faltered, free-falling on the cement. It lolled on the excess graveled before coming to a halt right in between the singer’s feet.

"I don't know, Jong. You’re like is mostly centered on the looks", she chuckled halfheartedly.

"What's that supposed to mean"?

"If you think she's pretty then you go for it even if she has a horrible personality. If she doesn't match your ideal you rule her out like she's nothing more than a sweater. That's what I mean", she crouched attempted to snatch the ball away. Her attempts were in vain, as the singer scooped it up, twirling towards the hoop.

"That's not true. I like you and it’s because of your personality."

"Are you saying I'm not cute?" She flared her arms exposing herself the night air. The basketball swooped through his hands, unfortunately landing on that of the opponents. Amber hollered.

"You are but any of your fan girls would kill me if I ever even touched you".

"Whatever".

"Hey, it’s true. But, this time I'm serious."

"I guess I can believe you", the F(x) member leapt on her heels, ball skimming on the South Korean skyline for one last time.

------

"This is impossible", Amber sunk to the floor, weak muscles ready to resign along with the setting sun. It was her second day back from her elongated stay at home. Repressed tears greeted her as her toes edged on the mat of the SM building. The tackling hugs were enough to produce wet droplets sprinkling on her eyelashes. Though, a certain specific significance had been snatched away from her return. The so called- guardian of her feelings was nowhere in sight. Even his existence was not acknowledged at their new dorms.

And so here she was, attempting the impossible. Striving to have the tip of her tongue at least taste the level of the other F(x) members.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to continue what I started", the girl spoke to no one in specific. Just the tender concern from the strangers tone.

"Amber, why did you leave in the first place"? It was the keeper of all things precious, Jonghyun and his melodic voice.

"I needed a break from all of this. I needed to just lie in my bed".

"So you left without telling me? I tried calling you and you didn't answer", the hurt was unmistakable.

"How are things with Shin Se Kyung? She's really pretty."

"That's not important".

"Hey I might steal her for myself. With my good looks and smile she'll be running into my arms any second". Amber giggled halfheartedly, pinching her sweatpants.

“We broke up”.

“That’s a shame, I thought you were serious this time”.

“I was but then you left”, he inched closer.

“Hey, help me practice the steps for Pinocchio. You can boast about knowing the dance for variety shows”. The competition between the two friends never faltered.

“Sure thing”.

---------------

“So Jonghyun”. The man rotated the microphone stirring all eyes on the lead singer of the boy band. His bald head glimmered under the exaggerated stage lights. As well as the sweat streaming down the boy’s forehead. “Where were you before you became SHINee’s lead singer?”

“I was on the curb of streets, playing my guitar, and praying every day that someone would discover me”.

“That’s quite inspiring”, the host smiled towards the crowd whose heads shook in enthusiastic agreement. “Now there are rumors that you and Shin Se Kyung broke up because of schedule difficulties. But is that the truth? You don’t have to hide anything here”.

A certain silence enveloped the set, as Jonghyun scrunched his face along with the internal war occurring in his mind. Through the bloodshed and vengeance between both fighting sides, he came to a conclusion, mouth jittering.

“You can edit some of this out later, right?”

“Of course”.

“Good, I don’t want to get completely sued. The real reason we broke up was because of the return of Amber”. He crossed his legs, arching his neck to take a long glance at the back of her head. Instantly, her eyes twirled to meet his in a haze of confusion. The audience erupted in explosions of “awes” and cheers.

“Is this true?” The man hissed through the loud yelps.

“Yes. I mean, she was the first person to actually notice me on the side of the street. She broke my guitar, but I call that fate”.

“I would just like to say that I knew this all along”, Jinki edged closer to the microphone. “They’ve always had a thing for each other. Jonghyun always blushes when Amber calls him hyu-“The leader was flicked towards the back of the group with a strong shove.

Both the young and new souls of the newly announced couple took a small gaze at their world. A place full of expectations that perhaps none of them could ever meet, returned their interest. Every possible goddamn mistake in the first chapter of the book of life had already been crossed out.  But who were they to deny the fortune of further parts? Jonghyun, the street performer, and Amber, the tomboy finding her way through the strange world.