Chapter 5

Bring Me To Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Millstone wasn't bad after all, in fact, Tiffany really liked it. It was a small village, but perfect to her liking. It also looked safe and harmless, and she hoped that it will stay this way. The village was filled with autumn colors, and the villagers liked to farm the most. Thus, the food was really healthy there.

She was really thankful to Taeyeon, for recommending a safe one. It seems that Taeyeon was sincere in protecting her, although it was really confusing her. Why was Taeyeon protecting her in the first place? She was considered as a stranger to Taeyeon who she just met, yet out of the blue decided to protect–or so she thought. She actually had no idea that Taeyeon used to secretly watch her and listen to her singing. Tiffany really liked to sing, it helps her to express her feelings and let all the emotions out–It comforted her.

While she was lost in her thoughts, she didn't see the figure that was walking towards her direction. She snapped out of her thoughts when she accidentally bumped into a girl that was holding a wooden bucket full of water. The bucket fell to the ground spilling the water that was inside.

"God! It took me forever to fill it.."

The girl mumbled looking at the bucket desperately, running her hand through her hair. Tiffany felt guilty looking at the girl's expression, she couldn't help but to apologize.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you" 

Tiffany bowed to her and looked at her apologetically. She observed the girl a little closer, her facial features looked like she was a few years younger than Tiffany, yet she was slightly taller than her, and she had a long black hair, with thin stripes of bangs slightly covering her forehead. An idea popped in Tiffany's mind.

"How about I help you to refill it?"

The girl looked at Tiffany seemingly caught off guard. Tiffany expected it since as much as she remembers, no one helped anyone in her previous village, or actually in the whole world. Tiffany offered a smile to show her sincerity, the girl honestly looked cute with her innocent confused face.

"No, it's okay, I can do it"

The tone of her voice was suspicious as she narrowed her eyes, The girl began to doubt if Tiffany wanted something from her, or maybe kidnap her or something. Tiffany was able to guess what was running through the girl's mind through her expression, it was much easier than reading Taeyeon.

"I insist, and no I don't want to do anything to you..I just want to do it as an apology"

Before the girl can protest, Tiffany had already grabbed the bucket and went in the direction of the well, but paused when she noticed the girl wasn't following her. She looked back at her and found her staring at Tiffany with furrowed eyebrows confused.

"Come on, aren't you coming? It's your bucket after all"

The girl fixed her posture and followed Tiffany. They headed to the well that was placed in the center of the village, and there were flowers surrounding the area beautifully. Tiffany wrapped the bucket around the well's rope securing it tightly, before lowering it down the well. Awkward silence filled them while waiting, and the girl was just staring blankly at the well, crossing her arms. Tiffany cleared grabbing the girl's attention.

"So..What's your name?"

"..Soojung." She paused a little before turning her full body towards Tiffany looking at her suspiciously "What about you? I've never seen you in this village before"

"I'm Tiffany. I actually came here just recently"

Tiffany ran her hand through her hair, she mentally scolded herself as she remembered that she wasn't supposed to say anything about herself–she needed to avoid as much people as possible, but it just slipped from her tongue. Soojung suddenly had an excited face as she clicked her fingers before pointing at Tiffany.

"Oh wait, you are the one who is now living in the house near mine"

"Uhh..yeah, I guess?"

She replied as she was pulling up the large bucket that is now filled with water. She wasn't sure how to answer, she didn't really pay much attention to her neighbors. Since she was sure that she won't communicate with them whatsoever, but now she wasn't sure anymore as she was now talking to one of them.

"Well, it's nice to meet you. I hope we can be friends someday, if you need something you can come to me." Soojung paused as she mumbled "there aren't a lot of nice people anyway" Soojung returned her focus to Tiffany "I need to go. Thanks for helping me!"

Before Tiffany can reply back Soojung already left. Maybe Soojung isn't bad after all, she thought. It would be fine to add a second person to her acquaintance list.

Clutching at the ends of her blouse shivering from the sudden cold weather, she noticed that the sun was about to set. Seeing that there was still some light, she wanted to visit that place again..her sanctuary, she always go there happy, sad or frightened..no one knows about the place. Well, except her and Taeyeon, but she was fine with it as long as they were the only ones who knew about it.

Getting out of the village, she was partly near to the waterfall when she noticed a man walking in an unstable way holding a bottle of soju. He was a short man, bald except for a few wiry hairs standing on end at the top of his head. He looked drunk, his eyes were unfocused and he was stumbling across the road. She shivered afraid of what he might do if he see her. She did understand what sick or drunk men can do with a girl, and she feared that to happen to her. Thus, she tried to avoid him as much as possible by changing her direction. But a laugh that came out of him caused the hairs on the back of her neck to stand up.

"What would a beautiful girl like you be doing here alone? Walking and walking and walking.."

His voice was very thick and hoarse. He grinned at her direction, spreading his lips to show jagged black stumps for teeth, and Tiffany grimaced and swallowed the nausea that rolled through her stomach at the sight of his teeth and stepped back. She tried to ignore him, and run away if possible. She was frightened to say the least. But the more she get away the more closer he get to her.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!"

He scowled getting closer to her while she is backing away. God please send someone, just anyone! She mentally prayed. She thought that if she ignored him it will only get the situation worse.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter