Normal

North To South

A loud screech awoke Jiyong.

He sat upright in his bed and listened to the sound of something scraping against the floor.

In a swift motion he got up, by now he was used to getting up at the most unique times.

Seunghyun has been avoiding and ignoring him since he arrived a week ago and still, it was always Jiyong that calmed him down during the nights.

 

The boy shortly checked his appearance in the full body mirror, smiling at the way he had changed his way of dressing.

From tank tops to normal t-shirts.
From colourful to plain.
From torn to intact.

Unlike in the past, Jiyong was now trying to avert showing skin as good as he could.

Thanks to that he had been the victim of Daesung's and Seungri's teasing.

 

 

He dragged his still exhausted body up the stairs, not stopping until he stood in Seunghyun's almost empty room.

Only a bed, a cabinet and a small mirror were decorating it.

Seunghyun was pushing the piece of furniture that held his clothes through the whole room.

Jiyong sat down on the others bed, watching him until he stopped and turned to the younger.

"Why are you here?", his hoarse voice broke the silence first.

"Why are you still doing this? You should go easy on yourself. You're safe now."

"What's wrong with wanting to keep my body in form?"

Jiyong was stunned by his bluntness but frowned as he remembered that three nights ago they had the same conversation, although he wasn't sure if Seunghyun still knew.
He had tried explaining what a fitness center is, but he gave up when the other didn't even know what a barbell was.

 

"Why is your hair like that?"

Seunghyun asked and stared at him curiously.

"It's...I styled it with hair wax before. That's what happens to them if I go to bed without washing it out."

"What's hair wax? Something like the wax from candles?"

"No, not really. It's normal around here, people use it a lot."

"I've never heard of it before."

 

Right, normal.

According to his grandmother Seunghyun was confused by many things. Simply because they weren't normal for him.

That also explains why there was so little furniture in his room.

All the other refugees had gladly accepted the tv and other features in their rooms, but Seunghyun wanted all of them gone.

 

 

"Shall we take a walk? To calm you down?"

"I am calm", came the stern answer.

"If you insinst...", Jiyong stretched his arms over his head and tried tempting the other, "There's a park behind the garden and the sky's so beautiful tonight. Don't you want to se-...What's wrong?"

Seunghyun intently stared at the small spot of skin that was visible due to his shirt sliding upwards.

The younger slid a hand under the fabric, gently tracing the inked words.

"Want to see it?"

"No!", the outburst came suddenly, surprising both of them.

 

They both stared at each other dumbly until Jiyong broke out in giggles. As he regained his composure he saw a small smile on the olders lips.

'He should really smile more often.'

"So...want to go outside?"

"I'd rather go to bed, sorry."

"Don't apologize. But another time, yeah? Good night, Seunghyun."

Jiyong was gone before the other could even react.

A longing settled down in Seunghyun's heart.

It yearned to see the clear sky, the stars and the small park.

What surprised him the most was that he didn't want to experience all those things alone.

 

 

 

 

 

*next day*

Seunghyun P.O.V.

 

They were trying to get me to talk again.

But I'm not allowed, no wait, I am allowed...I am just not ready to talk yet.

I knew that up in North Korea I've lived a better life than all the other refugees but somehow I was the only one that couldn't fit in now.

Everything seemed new to me.

Even the objects that I saw and used daily.

I didn't get it.

 

 

The owner of this place was a nice lady, she shooed the noisy psychatrist away as she concluded that I wasn't going to talk to him.

I like her.

Partly also because she sometimes told me stories about him.

Jiyong.

According to her he's only one year younger but he looks not one day older than seventeen.

Also, he's dangerous. Whenever he strutted past my eyes automatically glid over his body only to stop at his perky .

I shook my head and forced a glass of water down my throat whenever it happened.

After all I've been taught that it's bad, somehow a sin.

But still, something about him, not just his appearance, but also the way he smiled and interacted while being surrounded by the people he likes, it fascinated and completely captured me.

 

 

Jiyong walked past again, into the direction of the garden. Again, my eyes wandered but this time they got captivated by a small package stuffed in the others pocket.

My lungs screamed as they remembered the distinct taste of nicotine.

Before my brain could fully register I was already hurrying after him and almost ran him over while doing so.

I bowed apologetically and felt a weight slip off my shoulders as he motioned me to take a seat beside him on the wooden bench.

 

Jiyong broke the silence while he fumbled with the plastic that covered the new box, "I guess you didn't come here because of me, am I right?"

I bowed again and as I raised my head he was already offering me a cigarette.

"Thanks", I gratefully whispered while lighting it up.

I watched him do the same, only he seemed to do it with much more elegance.

 

 

I took a deep drag and leaned back, feeling carefree for the first time since my 'escape'.

I felt Jiyong shuffle next to me and the next time I glanced at him he had rolled up his shirts sleeves.

My eyes got captivated by a deep red colour on his right arm.

'That one's new...', I thought and cursed my body for reacting before my mind could stop it.

I touched the tattoo, lightly tracing it with my thumb only to pull back as Jiyong flinched.

 

Before I could apologize he stated bluntly, "I have more along my body. One day I'll definitely show you."

I tore my eyes away from the dancing heart and let myself drown in his beautiful eyes.

My stare dropped to his lips and I wanted nothing more than to simply kiss them.

'Is this longing for somebody...normal?'

I flung my only half smoked cigarette on the ground, slipped my hand behind his neck bringing his face closer while doing so.

 

His hand let go of his own stick out of shock but he didn't fight my hold.

I nuzzled my nose against his, satisfied as he slowly closed his eyes, before pressing our lips gently against each other.

I could have kissed him forever but as I was about to deepen the kiss my ears caught hold of two women's voices.

 

"Isn't that the servant?"

"Seunghyun, yes."

"Oh my...what is he doing?!"

"Commiting a sin."

 

Jiyong was the first one to withdraw.

He stared at me with an upset expression, ready to say something but I ran away before a sound could leave his mouth.