New

North To South

Jiyong sighed as he slowly made his way towards his grandmother's 'home', as she liked to call it.

The boy with pinkish hair preferred the term 'last resort'.

And here's why: his grandmother, since about ten years by now, owned a small shelter for refugees from the northern part of the country.

They rarely came in groups of more than two. Most of the time only one half dead person arrived.

That's why today was special.

And that's also why Jiyong had to drag himself out of bed earlier than usual. Although he just wanted to slam his alarm clock against the wall he got up as he remembered his grandmother's oh-so-lovely words, "If you don't get here on time I'll put you on toilet cleaning duty."

 

 

Several police cars were parked in front of the rather big building and he had to flash his ID before they granted him entry.

"Jiyong, over here!", his grandmother's voice reached out to him, forcing him to join her side.

"Everything went quicker than usual, they were all very cooperative. Well, except one, but who can we blame for that..."

She started talking about the refugees, twenty in total.

All from the same labor camp.

They were evenly divided into men and women. Surprisingly no children.

Jiyong flipped through the small card files in front, quickly overviewing their names and ages.

He had to do a double take as his eyes caught the number 23.

 

Name: Choi Seunghyun

Age: 23

Job: Servant

 

'Just one year older than me.'

"It's rather unamusing to call what he had to do a 'job'. The others referred to it as a task", his grandmother explained as he noted Jiyong's interested stare.

"He's the one that refused to work with us. All the others have already showered and moved to their rooms but he refuses to leave the arrival room."

"Mr. Kwon! We'd like to talk to you shortly!", a police officer called out.

She sent him a polite smile, grabbed the files and turned to her grandson once again, "Why don't you try and talk to him?"

Although it was a question Jiyong knew that he had to do it, there was no way of avoiding it.

 

 

 

 

 

He took one last deep breath before knocking onto the door lightly.

When he received no answer he pushed it open, closing it behind him.

His eyes caught sight of the man crouching in the corner. His hands shielded his head as if he was afraid to get hit.

Jiyong walked over, stopping a meter in front of him, dropped to his knees and put on his most soothing voice, "Seunghyun, I'm not going to hurt you. You need to take a shower, alright?"

The guy stayed put, he didn't even move an inch, so Jiyong reached out his hand only to pull back a second later as a deep voice filled the silence.

"Don't come closer."

The younger withdrew, pouted a little and finally asked, "Why not?"

"Because you...because you...", Seunghyun lifted his head, locking eyes with Jiyong, "reek."

 

Jiyong gasped. He didn't know what shocked him more, the others dark, intense eyes or his rude comment.

"Excuse me?", he retorted while trying to suppress a pissed off, sassy tone.

"Something...There's someting that surrounds you, clings to you. And it stinks."

Jiyong was baffled. He had only shower half an hour ago and now there was a handsome guy in front of him that seriously told him that he stinks.

"You don't smell that good either."

"I smell like work."

'And blood and dirt and rain', the younger mentally added.

 

"Why don't you try showering?"

"I'm prohibited from it. Only the officers, their families and of course every member of the royal family is allowed to."

'Yeah...sounds like an awesome leader.'

"Okay, uhm...why don't we talk a bit first? Don't refuse, in the end you have to talk to somebody anyway."

Seunghyun let his eyes wander over Jiyong's body, fully taking him in.

"I want to talk to the old lady."

 

 

 

 

"Grandma, he wants to talk to only you."

"And that annoys you, doesn't it?" His grandmother smiled amusedly before putting on a serious tone, "Jiyong, I've always told you that not everybody is used to this. Maybe he's confused by a lot of things. I've already asked for the help of a psychiatrist, he seems to be even more repellent than the older men and women."

"But it makes no sense", Jiyong whined, "He's so young, smart and...and..."

"Good looking?"

"Yeah, right! Wait, no. I mean..."

His grandmother chuckled as he blushed and patted his cheek, "Just go and help Daesung in the kitchen. And make sure that Seungri is on time!"

 

 

 

"What happened to you? Got dumped?"

"Ha.Ha.Ha., very funny, Daesung."

Although his friend knew that Jiyong had been single and looking for a long time he still liked to pick on him because of it.

"Did you see the new refugees yet?"

Jiyong was glad that the other changed the topic and approved, "Yeah, did you?"

"No...they were already gone when I arrived. But there was a bit of a ruckus going on. You know, one of them wasn't very cooperative, Miso told me earlier."

"Yah, don't call my grandmother by her first name. But...I've met him."

Daesung's eyes widened, "The troublemaker?"

Jiyong nodded and continued, "He refused to take a shower, I tried talking to him but in the end he threw me out and requested my grandmother."

"Woah, a guy dared to throw the almighty Kwon Jiyong out? I'd love to meet him."

"He's strange. Told me that I reek and Miso implied that I may look too different for his taste."

"Jiyong, you need to understand him a bit. After all he lived in a completely different environment. Everything new here, what's normal to us, probably scares him. And it doesn't really help that your jeans consist of more rips than fabric. Or that your hair's pink."

Jiyong hung his head low and muttered under his breath, "Maybe I'll dye them brown today..."

"What was that?"

"Nothing!"

Daesung smiled knowingly, "Oh, I really want to see him. Judging from your act he must be extremely handsome to catch your attention and interest that quickly."

Just as Jiyong was about to protest, and probably attack him, the door flung open and a broadly smiling Seungri stumbled in.

'Barely made it', Jiyong noted and continued cutting the vegetables.

When he was done he left to check on Seunghyun.

Daesung grinned but he was too proud to show his curiosity.