Sinner

North To South

"Ah, !"

Jiyong winced as a sharp pain shot through his body, again.

"Okay, that's it. Get out of my kitchen, now!"

His grandmother threatened him with a wooden spoon until he scurried away.

 

Daesung followed him shortly after, taking care of his cut.

"Seriously, what's wrong with you lately?", he asked after he was done.

"Nothing..."

"Ji, how long do we know each other already? By now I can tell if something's bothering you."

Jiyong shrugged and averted his eyes who caught sight of a familiar person.

He sighed heavily and Daesung followed his eyes track.

"Seunghyun, huh? Tell me what happened."

"He kissed me", Jiyong confessed, "Two women saw us and said that it's a sin... He pulled away and, God, he looked so shocked, as if he hadn't been in his right state of mind."

"And now?", Daesung couldn't help his curiosity.

"We're back to the state we've been in a week ago. He ignores me, but now he doesn't even watch me anymore."

"He watched you?"

Jiyong tsked and wipped his hair back, "Of course, who could resist my glorious ?"

Daesung ruffled his hair and ordered, "Get down from your high horse, man up and talk to him."

 

 

 

 

Jiyong laid in his bed and kept glancing at his clock, 'It's almost midnight, why can't I sleep?'

He got up, fixed his bed hair shortly and trotted downstairs into the kitchen.

He stopped in the door frame, halfway into the kitchen and stared dumbfoundedly at the scene that unfolded in front of him.

Seunghyun stood in front of the fridge, bent forward, inspecting something.

"Hey...", the younger called out softly.

The refugee jumped and turned around, a blush visible on his cheeks, "Hey."

 

 

"What are you doing?", Jiyong asked as he walked past him, grabbing a glass to fill it with water.

"I'm...there's... Your grandmother mentioned ice earlier. But I don't know how to use it..."

"It's alright. I didn't know how that thing worked in the beginning either", he lied and stepped behind him, clasping his hand over Seunghyun's while guiding his cup under the ice dispenser.

Butterflies made themselves noticeable in the younger's stomach and he didn't want this moment to end.

"You need to push it all the way to the back and then slightly upwards", he instructed.

Seunghyun watched with fascination as a few ice cubes dropped down.

"This is amazing...", he muttered, more to himself than to Jiyong, who smiled at his cuteness.

"I know, and that is only a small rather unspectacular invention."

"About that...", the older cleared his throat before continuing, "Can I see your room? Your grandmother...she mentioned that you own a lot of interesting things."

 

 

 

'He looks like a little pup inspecting his new home for the first time.'

Jiyong's eyes constantly followed Seunghyun's larger form as the other wandered through his room, carefully exploring everything but without really touching anything.

"You know, you can touch my things too."

The older frowned at his invitation before turning to face him.

"How can I do that? Those are your possessions."

"How about clothes? Clothes are alright, yeah?"

 

 

"So many pieces...do you really need all of them?"

Seunghyun's eyes sparkled as he took in all of the different colours and fabrics.

"You sound just like my grandmother right now", the younger pouted and was secretly annoyed that the other hadn't seen it, 'Pouts have always melted everyone.'

 

"What do you need all of those t-shirts for?"

The man from the north questioned as he looked at every single shirt which hung on a hanger.

Before he could answer the guy held one of Jiyong's most scandalous t-shirts in his hands.

"What's that for?"

"Uhm...it's...for partying."

Seunghyun frowned deeply, stepped closer and held it against the others chest.

Jiyong blushed at their closeness and had to lower his head as his deep voice reached his ears, "Why would you wear something that looks so provocative?"

"To attract attention..."

He stepped back and placed the hanger back into its original place, "Clothes aren't necessary in your case anymore. You're already pretty enough."

The younger's heartbeat increased significantly and he was glad that the other had already turned around again.

 

 

 

 

"Your room is so pretty...unlike mine. It's just...grey, nothing more, nothing less."

Jiyong sensed Seunghyun's sadness and sat down on his large bed, indicating the other to join him.

"Is this alright?", he asked, as if he really needed to be sure.

"Yeah...I need to talk to you about something."

The older tensed up and leaned back a bit, as if trying to get some safety distance between them.

"I...We...You're not a sinner. For...the kiss. It's nothing bad."

"It is."

"No, it's not. This is an open country, it accepts homouals."

"It's still bad and a sin", Seunghyun insisted and his opponent mentally facepalmed.

"It is not", Jiyong put an emphasis onto every single word and the other fell silent for some seconds before carefully asking.

 

"It's alright?"

"Yes."

"It's normal?"

'That ing word!', Jiyong inwardly cursed before beginning, "Listen, being gay is not a sin. Enjoying with a person of the same gender is not a sin either. People aren't as uptight as years ago, it changed...to the positive."

"It's okay now?"

"Yeah, it's almost considered normal now."

"Normal..."

The younger was close to smashing his head repeatedly against the wall, 'Now I ing started it. Good job, Jiyong.'

Seunghyun's head shot up and a cocky smile tugged on the edges of his mouth, "I never wanted to be fully normal anyway."

 

 

The older rolled onto his stomach and faced the front, thankfully away from Jiyong or else he would have seen his embarrassingly red cheeks.

He fanned himself as Seunghyun let his eyes roam through the room once more.

"Oh, you have a ... how's it called again", he uttered, "a flat screen TV?"

Jiyong nodded and loved the way how the others whole face lit up at the realization that he had remembered something that was 'normal' in his new world.

"Can I watch? The women at the common room only watch those stupid dramas and seriously, it's always the same anyway."

"Sure, but...", just as the younger was about to hand him the remote he pulled back, "You need to tell me something first. Did you have TVs up in the north?"

Seunghyun snatched it away, rolled around again and answered, "Of course we did, but only small, ancient ones. Most of them didn't even show colours."

 

 

Jiyong frowned as he didn't dig further into the topic, layed down next to him and remembered his grandmother's words, 'Try to get him to tell you something about North Korea, but don't do it directly.'

'I hope that was discreet enough, old woman.'

The refugee switched through the channels quickly, but suddenly he stopped ... at infomercials ... for hair products.

His dark eyes got filled by a spark Jiyong had never before seen.

"So pretty...", Seunghyun mumbled as the lady on the screen continued creating beautiful locks on a volunteer.

 

 

Jiyong giggled and in an instant the other's eyes were focused on him.

He could clearly watch as they glid all over his face before they dropped to his lips where they remained.

Seunghyun's own parted in interested and without thinking twice the younger plunged forward.

 

He took the lead and gently nipped at the man's lower lip, only to enter his tongue into the still unfamiliar mouth.

They both moaned slightly as their tongues danced with each other.

In the midst Seunghyun's hand came to rest on his hip and both of them felt as if it belonged there.

 

Jiyong broke away, tried climbing on top of the other only to get stopped midway.

"I should...go now", the older panted and sat up.

"Will you come again tomorrow?"

Seunghyun stared at him with widely opened eyes before stuttering hopelessly, "I don't...I mean, what if..."

"If you come, I'll curl your hair like the lady in the commercial earlier", Jiyong tempted him.

A smile spread across his whole face as he said, "Then I'll definitely come."

 

 

As the door fell shut behind Seunghyun, Jiyong slumped back into his pillows and groaned, 'Deep down he'll always believe that it's a sin.'