Chapter 2

The Red Shifts

Chapter 2

“See this?” Doctor Park held up his beer can. His patients all answered yes, enthralled with where this strange Psychiatrist’s story was going.

“Now, I am going to move it towards the trash can.” Doctor Park stood, sauntering over to the small rubbish bin next to his desk. “BUT STOP!”

Luhan was at the edge of his seat. He looked over at Minseok, who was also listening attentively.

“What just happened?” Doctor Park asked, dangling the empty can over the trash can.

“You walked across the room with a beer can...” Chanyeol said, seriously wondering if this guy even had a degree.

“Wrong brother. I red shifted that can into the next dimension.” Doctor Park dropped the beer can into the trash, it hit the side of the plastic container with a thunk “See what I mean.”

“Uh, no.” Luhan looked back at Minseok, whispering “Do you get it?”

Minseok just shook his head.

“Seriously people! I red shifted that beer can.”

“You mean the astronomy term Red Shift?” A lightbulb had gone off in Chanyeol’s’ head. He had heard the term before, something about stars being closer or further way.

“Kind of, but better.” Doctor Park sat back down “And that is where your little friends come from.”

“I am not little.” Sehun said under his breath, he was very proud of his height.

“Doctor, I am confused.” Luhan wanted to ask some pointed questions, but he couldn’t even begin to understand where to start “How does a beer can and space have anything to do with Minseok?”

Doctor Park looked frustrated “You don’t get it, even after I explained it to you? Yo, were you guys even listening?”

“You just walked across the room and threw away a beer can. I mean, I don’t know how that is supposed-“Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Yah! Fine, in simple terms these guys are only here because of a red shift. Their planet moved further away from ours, “Doctor Park held his fingers out, wiggling them he laughed “and they ended up here. Yep space magic made them come here. Some of us can see them, some of us can’t. But they are here. Got it?” Doctor Park grabbed another beer from behind his chair, cracking it open he took a drink.

“So…Sehun is an alien?” Tao jumped back from his friend, suddenly a bit afraid. He hated aliens and ghosts.

“I am not an alien!” Sehun crossed his arms, shaking his head at the whole scene.

“Um, so, how did you find this out?” Luhan asked, completely unconvinced.

“I would tell you but –“A loud buzz sounded throughout the room “Our session is up. Take care brothers.” Doctor Park slammed his beer, got up, and walked out the door, leaving a room of perplexed men staring after him.

“I think he is crazy.” Chanyeol was convinced of it “Did our parents seriously just pay that guy for this?”

“I think so.” Luhan turned to Minseok “Does any of that make any sense to you?”

“I can’t see how it would.” Minseok shook his head at the memory of the eccentric doctor.

“But…listen. We know we are real, you know we are real- and he can see us. So….does that mean we should come back, even if he seems a bit crazy?” Baekhyun spoke some rare words of wisdom.

“Come back here?!” Tao was not exactly up for the idea “He doesn’t even drink cognac!”

Tao’s comment fell on deaf ears. Everyone was too busy considering the fact that maybe, just maybe, Doctor Park knew something that they wanted to know too. After all, he was the first person they had ever met that could see their friends. But was another visit, another round of psychedelic music and strange beer can references worth it?

***

The car wove in and out of traffic, accelerating at a dangerous pace.  Tao sat in the passenger seat, clutching at the leather interior in fear as he kept his eyes tightly shut.

“Is this really necessary?’ Tao asked, opening his eyes for a split second before closing them again in terror.

Kris laughed. “Was going to some crazy doctor necessary?”

“Yah! I didn’t want to! Mom made me!” Tao yelled out, hoping that a police officer would pull them over soon and end his older brother’s driving.

Tao wished he was surprised by the outburst, by the way Kris reacted when he had gotten home with Sehun and answered Kris’s question of where he had been- honestly. Kris was calm at first, asking Tao if he wanted to go for a drive. He should have known better, he really should have. But he didn’t, he got in Kris’s luxury sports car without reservation.

“Tell him to slow down!” Sehun shouted from the back seat.

“I am trying to!” Tao shouted back.

“You think because you see someone you are crazy? Huh?” Kris accelerated again, “That you need help?”

Tao shook his head. One thing he had never understood about his older brother is why he was so very protective of Tao when it came to Sehun. It wasn’t like Kris had an imaginary friend that followed him well into adult hood or anything. No, Kris was the normal one, the normal one that went crazy at the thought of people thinking his little brother was crazy. It made no sense, really.

Kris stepped on the breaks hard, the tires squealing to a stop. The car skidded a bit, the tires leaving marks on the pavement. As Tao caught his breath, his hands still grasping the seat in terror, Kris started to cry.

“Why is he like this? Your brother is nuts.” Sehun muttered from the back seat.

Tao shot him a dirty look, before relaxing enough to reach over and pat Kris on the back in a comforting manner, “It’s okay Hyung, I won’t go back if you don’t want me to.”

Kris nodded. It was the struggle he felt every day, every minute, every second. The struggle to admit he had a friend no one could see too, but his friend was better hidden than that brat that hung off his younger brother. Suho was a secret, to everyone. And the thought that Suho’s existence meant Kris was insane was too much for Kris to digest – at any day, at any minute, at any second.

After a few minutes Kris wiped his tears, started the car, and drove them home at the speed limit. Maybe he had overreacted. Suho would tell him if he had, Suho would know.

***

Jongin shuffled towards the visitation room. He found that he rarely walked any more, he shuffled – the effects of leg shackles. He had been in solitary confinement for four years now, and when he left his cell he usually found himself sporting cuffs on both his arms and legs.

It was a good thing the prison Psychologist told the guards it was okay to remove the cuffs when he was in the visitation room – if the visitor was Jongin’s Mother any way. It wasn’t like anyone else ever came to see him, so the order meant that anytime the visitation room was involved Jongin had a bit of freedom outside of his cell.

His Mother was waiting for him when he arrived, a stack of magazines resting on the table. Jongin smiled at her, that wide smile that she said reminded her of Jongin’s father. The guards unlocked the shackles, slamming and locking the door after them.

“Are you well?” His Mother asked, “I brought you some more magazines.”

“Yeah, Kyungsoo and I were reading the journals you brought last time.” Jongin looked to his left, where Kyungsoo stood leaning against the wall “He seems to think I was quite the prissy little boy.”

Jongin’s mother looked visibly uncomfortable “I wish you wouldn’t talk about him.”

Jongin’s expression darkened, “Why?”

“Jongin…” His Mother pushed the magazines towards him and stood up “I should go.”

“Mom, why?” Jongin pleaded.

“He – that thing - is the reason you are here in the first place. Do you think I want to talk about that thing you conjured up in your head?”

Jongin felt the familiar pain, the sadness, the anger. Over the years he had learned when not to argue, when not to press it. So he just watched her go. He should have known better than to even mention Kyungsoo. But Kyungsoo was so much a part of his life, he had let it slip without thinking.

When she was gone the guards came back in, ready to Jongin back to his cell. Kyungsoo watched as the leg irons and handcuffs were placed back on.

“You know I love you.” Kyungsoo whispered, smiling sadly at Jongin’s state.

“I love you too Kyungsoo.” Jongin replied.

The guards ignored him, they were used to it by now. They were used to the fact that Kim Jongin, the schizophrenic murderer, never stopped talking to his imaginary friend.

***

Yixing was tired, so very tired. He had worked hard over the last week building the small house, hoping to finish it soon so the grandmother could move in.

“You like the stars, don’t you.” Jongdae looked up at the night sky, appreciating how clear the view was from the hillside.

Yixing had taken it upon himself to build the house in the small, rundown village. It wouldn’t be the first time nor the last that he took on a good cause single handedly.

“What do you think is out there?” Yixing mused. He was lying on his back on the grass, his hands behind his head, staring up towards the heavens.

“Probably a bunch of gross things. Like those undersea creatures from that documentary you watched.” Jongdae thought back to the strange little animals with glowing antennas and see through bodies.

“Hey, every creature has its purpose.” Yixing smiled “Like you.”

Jongdae snorted “My purpose is to watch you kill yourself by working too hard.”

“Your purpose, my friend, is to be mine. After all, I am the only one that can see you.” Yixing laughed, his voice lilting and carefree.

“Yep, Yixing’s friend and only Yixing’s friend Jongdae. Purpose defined by Yixing.” Jongdae nudged at his friend, who just smiled in return.

They stayed that way for another hour, in silence, watching the stars.

***

“Do you think he was on LSD?” Chanyeol asked, seriously wondering if the strange doctor hadn’t been drinking some sort of magic Kool-Aid.

“How should I know?” Baekhyun was busy staring out the window of Chanyeol’s bedroom, watching the landscapers at work.

“It was a rhetorical question, dumbie” Chanyeol rolled his eyes, picking up the remote to turn the channel. Dramas, variety shows, the news, and more dramas.

“I am pretty sure that was not a rhetorical question Chanyeol.” Baekhyun never took his gaze away from the window.

“Whatever.” Chanyeol found a music program on the television, turning up the volume he awaited the next music video eagerly.

“Whaaatevvveerrrr” Baekhyun turned from the window, mocking his friend with his face contorted into a sneer.

“Why do I keep you around again?”

“Because you love me?” Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows and smiled.

“No, you idiot, that was a rhetorical question.” Chanyeol tossed the remote in Baekhyun’s general direction, turning his attention back to the television while trying to remember the definition of a rhetorical question. What did that mean again?

***

Luhan was quiet on the way home. Minseok watched him, like he always did. Watched him out of concern, trying to guess what Luhan was thinking. He knew him so well by now he didn’t have to guess Luhan’s next move, only his thoughts. Once they got home Luhan would go back to his room, lock the door, and stay there for a few days – which is exactly what happened.

Jong Ok had tried to ask her son all sorts of questions- did the doctor make him realize that Minseok was imaginary? Did he still see Minseok (like one session would change a thing)? How about the other guys in the session, were they Luhan’s friends now? For all of her good intentions, Luhan’s Mom could be so misguided at times. It was times like this that her desire to see Luhan free of Minseok became clear, very clear. She was defensive of her son in front of others, blindly understanding to a fault when they were at home, but sometimes – sometimes it was clear, she wanted her son to be free of Minseok.

Luhan closed up at times like this, he always had, ever since they were children.

Eighteen Years Ago

“Developmentally he is normal.” The school psychologist smiled down at Luhan.

It had been a terrible day for Luhan. First there was the playground fight- which was the reasons his parents came to his school in the first place. It was that big bully, Kungin that had started the mess – Luhan had just defended himself. And then, with his parents already present to hear of Luhan’s misdeeds, the school faculty had decided to make the day a one two punch. After a talk with the principal Mr. and Mrs. Lu found themselves in the office of the school psychologist, their eight year old son sitting in between them on the misguided belief it was best to have him present for the talk.

“But psychologically I have reason to believe your son may be…a bit behind other children his age.”

Jong Ok remained silent, but her husband was not about to let it go “Behind? Humph! Do you realize that my son has had the best tutors, the best early life coaches, and the best prenatal exposure available in the country?”

The school psychologist, who Luhan thought smelled of mothballs, shifted in his seat. He fidgeted with his ugly sweater vest, before answering “I am sure that is true Mr. Lu, but your son, unlike other children his age, still has an imaginary friend.”

“Minseok is not imaginary!” Luhan blurted it out, bolting upright in his seat in protest.

“Should I tickle him?” Minseok asked, giggling as he made funny faces at the psychologist. Luhan couldn’t help it, he burst out laughing.

The school psychologist could not help but nod towards Luhan, who was busying giggling and staring at something that no one else could see “As you can see, Mr. Lu, there seem-“

“This school is grossly overrated.” Mr. Lu stood up, grabbing his son’s small, fragile wrist. Luhan jumped back, his Father’s grasp hurting his wrist.

“Sir, I can assure you we are the top school i-“

“We are enrolling him in a different school starting today. You can kiss that endowment goodbye.” Mr. Lu yanked Luhan behind him, basically dragging his son out of the Psychologist’s office. The school psychologist, realizing that he had just endangered the school’s funding, started to beg and plead as his wealthiest pupil was dragged out of the room.

“You are hurting him!” Jong Ok fumed at her husband. He responded by picking his son up and carrying him from the school, Luhan crying the entire way.

Once they reached their car, Mr. Lu shoved Luhan in the backseat first, sitting next to him as Jong Ok took the passenger seat next to the driver. After telling the driver to take them home, Mr. Lu slipped into silence.

Luhan was still crying. He knew better than to be too loud, because that would cause his father to yell. Instead he tried to swallow his tears. The only thing that kept him sane was Minseok, sitting next to him Minseok, who knew what to do.

“Luhan – I am going to tell you a story.” Minseok always told him stories when things were bad. “Once upon a time there was a little boy and he was scared of the world because he couldn’t remember anything.”

Luhan nodded slightly, it was his cue for Minseok to continue.

“He woke up one day but it wasn’t scary because he made a friend. The bestest, shiniest, coolest friend ever. LUHAN!”

Luhan, with eight years of wisdom under his belt, thought he should probably be bored of this story by now. But he never was. He nodded again, he wanted Minseok to continue.

“And even though the boy was scared about why things were weird, why he couldn’t play with a toy or eat like Luhan, he knew that Luhan was doing everything so well he didn’t have to. Because Luhan is the coolest, best person ever no matter what any stupid grown up says.”

Luhan felt better after this story, he always did. When they arrived back home, Luhan went to his room without being asked. Once there he laid down on his bed.

“Minseok, why are you so cool?”

“Because you are cool?” Minseok giggled, jumping on the bed. The bed didn’t move with his jumps, but he kept jumping regardless.

“Am I cool?” Luhan asked, his tears dried he began to smile.

“The coolest!”

“Can we be friends forever?” Luhan asked, seriously worried. He had known Minseok four years now, and he wasn’t sure if he was going to go away at some point. Kungin had said friends always go away, especially if you were stupid like Luhan.

“Yes! Because I will never have a friend as cool as Luhan!” Minseok plopped down on the bed next to Luhan, still smiling widely “Will Luhan always be my friend?”

“Always.” Luhan started to laugh “But you have to stop making funny faces!”

Minseok made a funny face at his best friend, jumping up and letting Luhan chase him around the room as he shouted out in alternating words of happiness and frustration. It was what they did, other than watch cartoons, or Minseok watch Luhan play with toys, or Minseok read to Luhan. It was what they did for the next few days until Luhan started another school. It was what they did when Luhan didn’t want to leave his room, when Luhan couldn’t leave his room. It was just what they did.

***

“I guess we all had the same idea.” Chanyeol looked at the four other patients sitting in Doctor Park’s office, inwardly ecstatic he wasn’t the only one who had agreed to a second session with the quack.

“It wasn’t my idea.” Tao rolled his eyes, nodding towards Sehun.

“Yah! I am not going to let your bully of an older brother control everything.” Sehun shook his head at Tao.

“We just thought maybe he had something more…clear and understandable to say this time.” Minseok answered for Luhan and himself. It was the truth, they were curious, given the fact Doctor Park was the only one who seemed able to see Minseok – who seemed able to somewhat understand the fact that Minseok was real.

“Do you guys really think that he knows something – I mean, something other than how to be a hippy psycho doctor?” Baekhyun asked as he examined the papers on Doctor Park’s desk.

“I would say he is more of a skater burnout, personally.” Sehun cut in “But hey, he sees us, doesn’t he?”

“Or so he claims.” Minseok said quietly. He wasn’t completely convinced that Doctor Park could see him. After all, he could be operating under the guidance of his patient’s parents – they certainly knew their son’s friends by now. It might be unlikely, but it was still possible.

“I hope he can see you.” Luhan smiled at Minseok “Because everyone should be able to.”

“Oh my god! You guys are so sweet it makes me want to vomit.” Baekhyun looked at Minseok and Luhan with his lip curled “If I could vomit that is. Chanyeol just likes to insult me.”

“Hey! I do not you idiot!” Chanyeol’s reaction was a shout, though he didn’t mean it to be.

“See, my point exactly.” Baekhyun took a seat next to his friend, growing bored with his examination of the contents of Doctor Park’s desktop.

The six of them waited for a few more minutes before the office door opened. Instead of Doctor Park sauntering in (or was that dancing in, or swaggering in) several men in suits entered the office. A badge was flashed in front of Luhan.

“Missing Persons, Gangnam Police Department.” One of the agents introduced himself “This office is under investigation.”

“For what?” Tao asked, his eyes growing wide as the men began to pull open filing cabinets, the doctor’s desk drawers – even riffle through the books on the tall bookshelf.

“Doctor Park Joon Hyung was reported missing. Are you three his patients?”

Tao looked panicked “I-um” It would be bad press if this got out – that Tao was seeing a psychologist. He could imagine his parent’s disappointed faces at the news, they had a political campaign to run after all.

“No! We are students, we were going to interview Doctor Park. An assignment and all” Chanyeol flashed a megawatt smile at the agent, who eyed him suspiciously.

“Hm. Please, step outside. We are going to need to interview you before you leave.”

“Oh, okay.” Chanyeol stood and led the three of them out of the office. Once they were in the waiting room he motioned for Luhan and Tao to follow him out, whispering “They will never know. Let’s go.”

As they made their way for the door they were stopped by another agent, a big burly man blocking their way.

“Going somewhere?” He asked.

“No, nope. One hundred percent not going anywhere.” Chanyeol tried to charm his way out the situation again. He didn’t get far. It was a few seconds before Luhan, Tao, and Chanyeol were being slammed against the wall, their hands being twisted behind their backs.

-------------------

a/n- Thank you for reading! Seriously, I am flattered by the subs/votes/comments/stats so far! I am working my way through responding and I seriously appreciate it.

Also, a huge mega amazing shout out to ShiningRose for helping me work through the backstory of this fic. There is a lot here that is yet to be revealed and without her help I would never have understood the point I was getting at (how is that for a teaser- yes, throw tomatoes at me at your pleasure).

I realized as I worked through this plot that this is going to be a loooong fic. I hope you stay with it and give me your feedback (love it or hate it I like to hear it all). Your constructive criticism is welcome, so please do not feel shy. And if you are shy, well that is okay too ^^

Cheers!