Chapter 16

The Red Shifts

Minseok woke up in a panic, bolting upright on the small cot in the warehouse.

“What is it?” Luhan was beside him at once, looking concerned. Minseok had fallen asleep for a few minutes as the rest of the guys prepared for their impromptu trip, Luhan hovered over him.

“I…” Minseok took a deep breath, trying to recall everything that had just happened in his dream. It was a hazy set of images, jumbled together. “Kang Joon…I saw Kang Joon – the man from the cave.”

“What?!” Luhan was surprised. Why was Minseok dreaming about him?

“He was trying to stop me, tell me something.” Minseok scratched his head, confused.

“It was probably just a silly dream.” Luhan smiled, appreciating the sight of Minseok with mussed up hair and an adorably confused expression on his face. “We need to get ready, Doctor Park said we will be leaving soon.”

Minseok nodded, shoving his odd dream from his thoughts.

***

Min Woo drove the van out from the warehouse, fourteen people awkwardly residing in the back of the large vehicle.

“You stepped on my toe!” Baekhyun threw a disgusted look at Sehun, who stuck his tongue out in response.

“You can sit on my lap.” Tao pulled Sehun over to him, earning a glare from Kris. Tao ignored him, letting Sehun sit on his lap despite his older brother’s nonverbal objections.

Luhan and Minseok found themselves sitting in a corner of the van, squished together by the sheer number of other people trying to squeeze into the tight space.

“Couldn’t we have taken a couple of cars?” Chanyeol asked.

“Brothers, brothers, we can’t make it obvious. Remember, they are after us.” Doctor Park, wearing his sunglasses, seemed as relaxed as could be. Almost as if they weren’t trying to get on an airplane and fight the bad guy, Yixing thought. Something was extremely suspicious, confirmed by the fact that four of them were having the same sort of dreams. The sort of dreams that indicated that all was not as it seemed.

“Sunny, will you be coming with us?” Suho asked, despite the fact her presence in the van was a rather obvious indication. Surprisingly however she shook her head. “No. I…Doctor Park thinks it is better for me to stay in the country for now.”

“Oh.” Suho wasn’t sure why Doctor Park felt that way and honestly he knew questioning the man would only lead to vague answers containing the word ‘yo’ about fifteen times, so he let the matter drop.

The trip to the airport would take forty five minutes or so, at least that is what Luhan calculated. His hand found Minseok’s, holding it idly as the van jerked with every pothole it drove over. No one seemed to be in the mood to converse in depth, everyone on edge, some looking outright suspicious. Luhan didn’t miss the way Yixing glanced at Doctor Park – there was something there, Luhan was sure of it. It was less friendly, less caring, more….annoyed. Doctor Park didn’t seem to notice though, or if he did he ignored it.

They were about twenty minutes into their journey when they heard the first loud boom. Everyone braced themselves, trying to comprehend the source of the noise. There were no windows in the back of the van, other than the rear window, so their line of sight was rather limited.

“What in the hell was that?” Kris asked, straining to see out the window.

“I am guessing we are being attacked.” Doctor Park answered nonchalantly as a second boom sounded, rocking the van. Suddenly the vehicle swerved, fourteen people thrown into chaos as the van lurched and then started to tip.

***

Minseok. He had to find Minseok. It was Luhan’s first thought as he regained consciousness. The world was loud, screams, an explosion. Luhan could feel something run down his face, when he reached his hand up he realized he was bleeding from a head wound.

Trying to regain a sense of what was going on Luhan looked around, trying to piece the chaos into a semblance of events. The van was lying on its side on the highway, smoke billowing from it. There were several cars that had crashed as well, looking to be abandoned they were nothing but a twisted bit of metal against the guardrail. Something terrible had happened, most certainly.

Minseok, where was Minseok. Luhan staggered to his feet, staring ahead he could make out a small group of people….taking cover at the side of a car. He staggered forward, taking one unsteady step than another before someone grabbed him, pushing his head down and practically dragging him to where the others were gathered.

“Wh – a- t is going on?” Luhan asked, realizing it was Suho who was dragging him.

“Choi Seung-hyun and Baro.” Suho answered, his voice hoarse as though he had been yelling. “We are under attack.”

“Where is Minseok?!” Luhan didn’t see him with the others. As he found himself shoved into the mass of men taking cover he couldn’t make out his friend. Before Suho could answer a loud whistling sounded over their heads, Luhan instinctually ducked and covered, a loud explosion sounding from behind him. The clanking of metal was quick to follow. Staring behind him in terror he saw the mangled pile of cars burning.

“We have to attack!” Doctor Park shouted at the group. “Give it all you got, boys!”

Attack? Luhan gulped. Apparently he was a tad bit more reserved than some of the other men, because Chanyeol stood up surprisingly quick and unleashed his own torrent of fire towards the other side of the highway.

“WHERE IS MINSEOK?” Luhan shouted again. Ignoring the blood trickling down his face, ignoring the din of battle, ignoring Doctor Park and his continued shouts of “Attack!” Ignoring the fact that this – an attack like this – on a highway in the middle of a large city would likely have taken more than one innocent life. Ignoring everything until he was certain Minseok was okay.

***

Minseok limped towards the concrete barrier. He had been thrown from the vehicle when it rolled. He looked back towards the van, hoping to god that everyone was still alive. He could make out two large vehicles parked on the opposite side of the highway, they looked like they were some sort of armored vehicles – army perhaps. Whatever they were they were certainly not a good sign.

“Joon Hyung- we gave you plenty of opportunities to surrender.” A shout rang out. Minseok recognized the voice as belonging to Choi Seung-hyun. So he had come back for revenge – or just to stop them from leaving- he was angry and obviously had weaponry at his disposal.

Minseok braced himself against the concrete, hoping Choi Seung-hyun wouldn’t notice he was thrown from the vehicle. He watched the van nervously. And then a car hit the concrete barrier near the van, then another. Minseok panicked, not sure which way to run or how to take cover as the multi car pileup birthed screams all around him.

He stood for a moment, ready to run, not sure where. One way was towards the mangled cars and the van. The other way still had oncoming traffic. And across the highway stood Choi Seung-hyun, his intentions clearly reckless and violent in nature.

He only needed to stand for a moment, apparently. Because it only took a moment before his world went dark.

***

“Where is Minseok?!” Luhan grabbed Doctor Park by the shoulders and shook him, no longer caring what was happening around them. Doctor Park responded swiftly, delivering a blow to Luhan’s cheek, knocking him back into a state of unconsciousness.

***

Reporter Kim Seung Ho, MBS, reporting live at the scene of a tragedy. It is being reported that the unthinkable occurred on the XXX bridge today, resulting in several casualties. Witnesses report seeing unusual activity – described as “super powers” by some witnesses-  being used by unidentified men on the bridge at approximately 5:00 PM KST. The men escaped the area shortly after causing a multi-vehicle collision and serious structural damage to the bridge. The latest casualty numbers indicate over twenty people have died, with dozens injured. The police, alongside the military, are actively searching for the perpetrators of this terrible crime. The motivation for this unprovoked attack are not yet known.  We will be reporting on this story as it unfolds.

Chanyeol clicked the television off. “Why are they ignoring the fact it was Choi Seung-hyun – THE MILITARY - that started this!”

Doctor Park, arms crossed, an unusually serious expression on his face, glared at the blank screen. They had made it to a safe house- after having to nearly blow up the bridge to escape the gunfire directed at them from Choi Seung-hyun’s men. Thankfully the fifteen of them were not seriously injured, only cuts and scrapes. Luhan had a concussion, while Sehun seemed to have sprained his ankle. There was, of course, the issue that one of them was missing. Most definitely taken by Choi Seung-hyun, Doctor Park had witnessed the scene himself. Baro had injected him with something, probably a sedative, and dragged him away.

“Brothers, we need to start thinking on the next level. They started this, we need to finish it.” Doctor Park said firmly.

“I don’t see how we are finishing anything now that we are being reported as SUPER POWER TERRORISTS!” Chanyeol was angry, very angry. Angry that they had been attacked, angry that people had died, angry that Doctor Park seemed to be directing the lot of them in the worse way possible.

“Seriously, I don’t like where this is going.” Kris backed up Chanyeol.

“No .” Sehun muttered.

“I still don’t understand why we are-“Baekhyun started, before being interrupted.

“Where is Minseok?” Luhan staggered into the room, all eyes turning to him. He had been unconscious since Doctor Park had hit him.

“They took him.” Chanyeol muttered, looking accusatory as he glared at Doctor Park.

Luhan felt faint. “What do you mean they took him?”

“Why don’t you ask the Doctor?” Chanyeol stalked out of the room, past Luhan.

“Yo brother, now is not the time to panic. We will get your boyfriend back.” Doctor Park held his hands up, as if he could calm Luhan down with a few words and a hand gesture. Predictably, it didn’t work.

Sehun ended up putting his hands over his ears as Luhan launched into a torrent of swear words, threats, and anger. They had lost Minseok.

***

They wouldn’t let him leave. Well, not they – him. Doctor Park told Luhan he couldn’t try to find Minseok on his own. It was foolish. Where would he even start? At Choi Seung-hyun’s house? Why would he take Minseok there? It was far too dangerous for Luhan, coursing full of rage, to go on a suicide mission to find Minseok. That is why he wasn’t allowed to leave- according to Doctor Park.

He couldn’t leave, so he found himself pacing like mad in one of the small bedrooms of the safe house. He hit the wall a few times. He swore. He cried.

The door opened slowly. Luhan was ready to scream, to shout – until he saw who it was. And what they had to say. “Shhh.” Kyungsoo held his finger to his lips “I need you to come with me, but please be quiet. I want to help you.”

Luhan bit his tongue, swallowed his despair, and followed the smaller man down the hallway, to another one of the bedrooms. Kyungsoo shut the door behind them. The room was not deserted, Yixing, Jongdae, and Jongin sat on the two twin beds.

“Are you going to help me rescue Minseok?” Luhan asked as soon as the door was shut.

“We want to.” Jongin spoke barely above a whisper. “Something isn’t right here.”

“What do you mean?” Luhan knew what wasn’t right- and that was the fact Minseok had been taken. But Jongin seemed to be referring to something else.

“We have been having dreams. About Kang Joon. I don’t think we can trust Doctor Park anymore.” Jongdae explained quietly.

Luhan froze. “Minseok had a dream about Kang Joon too.”

“.” Everyone looked around the room, from one man to the next, as a mutual understanding was born. Something was very wrong, and Doctor Park seemed to be the center of it.

“We need to escape.” Luhan swallowed, afraid.

-------------------------------

a/n Sorry for such a big gap between updates. I am trash *hangs head*. So, things are heating up- in a not so good way. Don’t worry, Minseok is alive (in case anyone thought otherwise). But where he is and what he learns, that is a secret for now. And who wants to punch Doctor Park?