Chapter 14

The Red Shifts

Minseok had a pounding headache, opening his eyes felt like a monumental task. He willed himself to lift his head up, to figure out what had happened.

“Minseok! You are awake!”

It was Luhan. Thank god it was Luhan. Minseok’s vision corrected itself, the world in front of him going from a blurry nightmare to the image of Luhan standing over him.

“What happened?”

“I don’t know. That guy was here and then I think I passed out.” Luhan looked worried “We should get out of here.”

Minseok registered the fact they were still sitting around the table at the convenience story, their cups of coffee still in front of them. “Are you okay?”

“I think so. Come on, we should go before he comes back.” Luhan grabbed Minseok’s hand and pulled him to his feet. “If we walk down the road a ways there should be a taxi cab somewhere.”

Minseok nodded, letting himself be dragged by Luhan. He didn’t feel like he had enough energy to form words, to make plans, or to even walk on his own. Just what had happened?

***

“You have no idea how to contact him? No idea at all?” Chanyeol was livid. Jongin was livid. Hell, most of the gathered men were now wondering if everything they had trusted had been nothing more than a game.

“I am sorry, he doesn’t tell me where he is any more than he tells you guys.” Sunny was bearing the brunt of everyone’s frustrations – since she was the one put in charge of watching them.

“Great. Just great. So now I am wanted for helping a fugitive and god only knows what Minseok and Luhan are up to-“

The front door opened, shutting Chanyeol up. The group rushed towards the entry way, everyone eager to see if it was Doctor Park who had arrived. They found Minseok and Luhan in the foyer, both looking dazed and confused.

“What happened? Did you see him?” Suho stepped forward, eyeing both men up and down. They looked disheveled. Something had certainly happened.

“No. Some guy found us watching the house. He said we shouldn’t be so foolish and then we out.” Luhan had his arm around Minseok, supporting him “He did something to us, I don’t know what.”

“Great! Just great!” Kris threw his hands up “You two are wanted by everyone in Seoul-” He pointed at Chanyeol and Jongin “And we are found out before we even catch the guy.”

“Hey, hey. Let’s not panic.” Sunny tried to be the voice of reason but she failed. The room descended into chaos. And then Doctor Park walked through the door, holding a glass of tea and whistling a tune, looking completely at ease.

“Can I punch him?” Chanyeol asked. Luckily Suho held him back, wanting an explanation before fists flew.

***

Twelve pairs of angry faces glared at Doctor Park as he launched into an explanation. As usual, it involved a lot of “Brothers, let’s stay calm” and “Yo-chill”.

“They did that without you knowing?” Baekhyun was upset, but Chanyeol was livid at the recent newscast.

“Basically. I can’t change it, but I can protect you.” Doctor Park added before the talk turned to the events of the evening involving Luhan and Minseok.

“Baro isn’t anyone you should worry about. He is a bit misguided, likes to show off, but he isn’t anything to really stress out about brothers.” Doctor Park sipped the tea he had brought with him, making a sound of hmm as he drank the concoction “Earl Gray. Who knew that it was so good, yo?”

“So you are saying this Baro is just some inconsequential punk?” Jongdae didn’t believe it for a second. He stood up and walked towards the double windows that looked out on the lawn “Because he sure as hell did something to Minseok and Luhan hyung.”

“No…that isn’t what I am saying. I am trying to tell you guys, my brothers, that Baro isn’t what you should be afraid of.”

“Then what should we be afraid of?” Chanyeol was angry, very angry, and it was evident in his tone.

“These two.” Doctor Park pointed at Luhan and Minseok “But not really afraid, just – how do I say it- aware.”

Luhan and Minseok looked at each other, not sure what to do or what to say. Why should they be feared? Just what had happened?

“Um…guys!” Jongdae interrupted the chat “There are guys with guns running across the lawn.”

“WHAT?!” Kris stood up, walking towards the window.

“You should be afraid of them. Thanks kids.” Doctor Park motioned at Minseok and Luhan “For leading them here.”

“We did?!” Luhan grabbed at Minseok, an automatic response to protect the other man.

“, , .” Kris dragged Jongdae back from the window “What in the hell do we do?!”

“Well, they are guests in your home, right?” Doctor Park took a drink of his tea, completely un-phased by the entire event.

“ you.” Kris didn’t have time for another string of obscenities. Men in heavy gear crashed through the windows and broke through the front door, their guns drawn.

“Hold your powers!” Doctor Park shouted, still not bothering to do more than put his hands up indifferently “Trust me – they won’t shoot.”

It was chaos as the armed men moved in, screaming at everyone to put their hands up. Minseok considered using his powers for a second, considered trying to freeze everyone. But could he? Would it work or would it end with him being shot? Before he could make a choice one way or another the choice was made for him. He was shoved to the ground, a gun pointed at his head.

“Took you guys long enough.” Doctor Park yelled over the din.

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” A man responded, his voice calm amidst the hurried shouts.

Minseok struggled to see who it was that had responded, he tried to lift his head but it was shoved back down to the floor, a piece of glass from the broken window cutting his cheek.

“Well, you were never the most punctual person. I guess I can forgive you.” Doctor Park said casually.

“Are you ready to negotiate or are you going to make me end this here?”

Minseok thought hard. He had heard that voice before. It wasn’t Baro or whatever his name was. No…it was someone else. Where had he heard that voice?!

“I think you need to realize that we have the upper hand here. You have nothing, brother, without us.” Doctor Park finally sounded a bit worked up, a bit more serious.

“True. But you haven’t told them why they are so important, right?”

“Sure I did. The kids know.”

The man laughed. And it was then that Minseok realized who the voice belonged to. It was their target – it was Choi Seung-hyun, the actor. It should be a joke. It was impossible. But he knew that voice, knew that laugh. He had heard it multiple times as he watched movies with Luhan.

“Aren’t you the efficient one?” The man laughed again. “Tell me what you want.”

“Access to Deep Base Four.” Doctor Park said firmly.

“And?”

“Hm. Let me see. Tao, is there anything you want?”

“Me?” Tao was scared, very scared. He had barely registered Doctor Park’s words, he was too busy feeling like he would faint, his face pushed into the carpeting and the cold barrel of a gun pressing at the back of his head.

“Yeah. You? What do you want? I mean, I am going to give him Sehun but other than that-”

And then it happened, something that he should have controlled broke free at the mention of Sehun. His Hun-ah. His. Doctor Park wouldn’t give him away, not if Tao could help it.  The warm feeling flowing through his body, his head feeling like it would split open. He had no doubt that he had used his powers, a fact that was confirmed as the room grew eerily silent. Tears were rolling down his cheeks when he stood up, maneuvering around the man who had a gun to the back of his head. But something was strange…Doctor Park wasn’t frozen at all.

“Thanks kid. I thought you might not get my meaning.” Doctor Park walked over to Tao and patted him on the head fondly “Now let’s take what we need and get the hell out of here.”

Tao watched as Doctor Park walked over to Choi Seung-hyun and rifled through his pockets. Pulling out a cell phone he held it high. “Just the ticket. All right, you are going to need to help me get these guys into the truck.”

“The truck?” Tao stared at the frozen forms of his friends.

“Yeah. We need to relocate.”

“What about my house?!” Tao wasn’t about to leave his Mom and Dad to come home to a broken house – not to mention the fact the men who broke in were not likely to leave the house alone.

“I will wipe their memories before they leave, give them something fake to hold onto. Which means we need to move them too.”

Tao whined “I can’t move them all!”

“Well, you have to. For your Mom and Dad.”

“Fine.” Tao stretched. It was going to be a long night.

***

It was a warehouse of some sort, a few hours’ drive from Seoul. Tao had never been in the area – the small city was heavily industrialized and not at all like a place would he normally frequent. He cracked his back as he jumped out of the step van. It had been enormously taxing to move the eleven men plus one tiny woman, not to mention the dozen or so gun touting men who had broken into his house. They had left them in a field outside of Seoul.

Tao had no idea he could hold his power for so long, and honestly it was taxing. He was feeling the weight of not only exerting himself physically but also mentally. And then there was the horrible traffic issue. When no one else was moving but yourself it was hard to get around. It was a good thing Doctor Park had no trouble driving on the wrong side of the road or the sidewalk if needed.

Once they arrived at the warehouse Doctor Park gave the order – Tao focused and time continued. A chorus of groans and confused shouts emanated from the back of the van as everyone woke up – some of them collapsing as their rigid forms were suddenly without a floor to lie on.

“Hey kids! Welcome back!” Doctor Park clapped slowly “Please give a big shout out to the man of the hour – TAO!”

Tao blushed, then remembered what he wanted to say “Yah! You guys need to eat less. Do you know how heavy you are?!”

Twelve pairs of confused eyes watched as Tao put his hands on his hips, shaking his head. A strange sight indeed.

***

“You kidnapped Choi Seung-hyun!” Kris was the first to point out the obvious, the man bound and gagged in the middle of the warehouse.

“How observant brother.” Doctor Park teased, walking over the man “We couldn’t just return him.”

“Do you think he would give me an autograph if I asked?” Tao asked quietly, Sehun slapping his arm for the comment.

“Sorry, I love his movies.” Tao looked hurt, he was just trying to live a fan boy’s dreams.

“This man is more than an actor. In fact he is leading the government unit I was talking about. Sorry for not filling you in earlier but I needed you guys to lure him into a trap.” Doctor Park pushed at Choi Seung-hyun playfully “Man is he ever out of it.”

“Did you do something to him?” Luhan asked, peeking over Minseok’s shoulder at the actor. Or government agent. Or whoever he was.

“I just gave him some nice dreams.” Doctor Park laughed. He had already told the group of what had occurred back at the house, so the anxiety over Kris and Tao’s family had been quelled.

“Did you smoke weed with him?” Chanyeol asked.

Doctor Park ignored the comment “We are going to need to get some information from him. Which requires some unique interrogation techniques.”

“I am afraid to ask.” Suho muttered.

“He likes guys with a baby face.” Doctor Park pointed at Minseok “You are up kid.”

Minseok’s jaw dropped open, “Me?!”

“No! No, no no!” Luhan tried to push Minseok behind him. For once it annoyed his friend, who wanted to speak for himself.

“What do I need to do?” Minseok asked.

“Just butter him up a bit. He will be out of it when he wakes up, willing to talk if given the right incentive.” Doctor Park winked.

“Miiiinnnnn.” Luhan whined.

Minseok pushed him aside, whispering “I need to do something too, Luhan. I need to help.”

Luhan glared at Doctor Park, wishing he had the courage to punch the man.

***

Choi Seung-hyun felt good. Too good. Maybe it had something to do with the hot piece of that was currently flirting with him from across the room.

“You must be soooo strong to be in charge. I loooove a strong man.”

He winked. Choi Seung-hyun felt like leaping across the room and ravishing the man right there. He was so ing hot- so nice to look at – so…nice.

“What do I need to say for you to start taking off those clothes?” Choi Seung-hyun asked, his lips.

The man - did he give his name after all – approached slowly, making sure he exaggerated his walk, his hips swaying. He leaned close, Seung-hyun held his breath, wanting nothing more than to kiss the man.

“How about you tell me about that unit of yours….hm?” The man’s eyes widened, alluring, teasing, wanting.

“I will tell you anything if you me.” Seung-hyun smiled, he knew how to bargain. And damn would it be worth it.

***

“Minseok is not ing anyone!” Luhan protested, watching the entire scene play out from a small room equipped with video monitors.

“Chill bro.” Doctor Park shook his head at the young man, who had been spitting fire ever since the idea was brought up “I won’t let him ravish your boyfriend.”

“He is not my boyfriend!” Luhan colored.

“Sure, yeah, whatever. Just hold on.” Doctor Park pointed to the video monitor “Damn if your boyfriend isn’t good at this.”

Luhan felt the rage coursing through him. To subject Minseok, innocent and kind Minseok, to this sort of thing was…criminal. Wrong. Just horribly wrong. Minseok’s hips shouldn’t be swaying for some famous movie actor / government agent. No, they should only be swaying for him. Or not at all. Or something.

“You know you just said that out loud, right? His hip’s swaying?” Baekhyun stared at Luhan shaking his ahead “You have it bad dude.”

“Shut up!” Luhan turned around, not able to watch any more. He flinched as he felt a small hand on his shoulder.

“Hey, it will be okay.” Sunny tried to comfort him “Don’t worry.”

Luhan huffed and puffed, tried to formulate a response that sounded cool and like he didn’t really care Minseok was currently rubbing up on the enemy – but he couldn’t. The only thing he could think about was Minseok, hips swaying, practically purring. Why was life so cruel?

-------------------------------------

a/n- A ually frustrated Luhan gives me life. Which is probably wrong keke. Sorry for the shorter update, but the length felt right given the content. I rewrote about half of this chapter after the first version was a bit dark…like not good dark. Let me know what you think.

Thanks to all of the new subbers! I really appreciate it! I know this genre (sci-fi) is not as popular as other, more romantically inclined genres, but I am having a blast writing this. So in other words, thanks to everyone reading, commenting, subbing, and super thanks to anyone who up-voted. It means a lot to me. - LC