Chapter 12

The Red Shifts

The first thing that Tao was aware of was water spraying down from the ceiling. Then it was the shouts. He looked around, trying to figure out where he had just landed – and his destination was made very apparent as soon as he saw the men in dark suits standing near the doorway. They had their guns aimed, ready to fire in his direction.

Tao panicked, trying with all of his might to use his abilities to avoid being killed on the spot. The portal seemed to have taken them back to the courtroom, to the exact spot where they had left a few weeks ago. It seemed that no time had passed, if the water streaming from the ceiling, the black suited men, and the chorus of cries of “Get me out of here” were anything to go on.

Before the men fired, before Tao could summon his power, Sehun burst out of the portal, quickly followed by Kris and Suho. As everyone noticed they were back where they started from, they panicked just as Tao had. While Tao had yet to stop time, Suho and Sehun quite easily created a windy blast of water that knocked the men to their feet.

“Good enough, let’s go!” Tao grabbed Sehun’s arm, ready to run. The only problem was that they had no idea where to run to. Behind him were the men with guns, in front of him was the portal.

Within seconds the rest of the men came through the portal, Doctor Park the last to emerge. The portal closed within a second of Doctor Park’s arrival, opening a path for the men to escape.

“Go down the hall, run! Get in the van!” Doctor Park waved them on, pointing towards the long hallway. They ran, not bothering to stick around and find out what it felt like to be shot. Doctor Park watched them go, waiting. He had some things he had to take care of before he could run away.

***

 Minseok grabbed Luhan’s hand, leading the way as the maneuvered down the hallway, then another, until they were in some sort of service garage. There were guards lying unconscious along the way, no doubt something that was facilitated when Doctor Park had arrived in the courthouse the first time.

“Get in!” It was the strange man wearing the pink t-shirt, the same one that had yelled something about saving the whales. He held the side doors to a brown cargo van wide open, furiously waving his hands to get their attention.

Luhan might have questioned the intelligence of getting into a van driven by a psycho environmentalist, but he would have questioned a lot of things before he visited an alien planet and discovered he had super powers. Now he was just thankful Doctor Park seemingly thought up an escape plan for them.

Once everyone was in the van, the doors were shut tightly.

“Hold on tight!” the man called to them, his voice carried to the back of the van as he stepped on the gas, peeling out of the garage at a high speed.

***

“Are you seriously dropping us off at home?” Luhan couldn’t believe it as the van turned down the familiar street where he lived.

The man in the pink t-shirt turned around “Yep, Doctor’s orders. Well, except for the prisoner. Anyone volunteer to take him in?”

In the last two weeks the twelve of them had made plenty of small talk, but no one had publically bridged the topic of Jongin’s murder sentence. Tao and Sehun had whispered about it, but Suho had scolded them for judging a book by its cover. Tao had retorted that a court had already judged Jongin’s cover but he shut up when Suho gave him a disappointed look.

“Did you do it?” Kris asked point blank, earning a slap on the arm from Suho.

“No.” Jongin answered firmly. Yixing remained silent.

“Then you can stay with us. I mean, my brother already took these dolts in-“Kris pointed at Chanyeol and Baekhyun “What are two more? Wait a minute- what is the date today?!”

“Ah, the date. February 13th.” Min Woo said. It confirmed that they had returned the same day they had left, time seeming not to pass while they were gone.

“We are not dolts!” Baekhyun protested.

I think you are.” Sehun shot back.

“My parents are traveling right now, so the house should be deserted.” Kris explained. Suho squeezed Kris’s arm for his generosity, wondering if Kris had only offered it so Suho wouldn’t be mad about his previous comment.

“Hey, do you think maybe we could stay too? I mean…wouldn’t it makes sense if we were all together?” Jongdae bridged the topic without asking Yixing first. He apologize under his breath but did not retract his request. The fact remained that they had nowhere but a cheap hotel to stay at, and that was not exactly an ideal place to hang out with the world resting on their shoulders.

“Sure. Are you guys on board?” Kris asked Luhan and Minseok, earning another approving smile from Suho.

Luhan thought about walking into his house, a very real Minseok at his side, trying to explain to his Mother who his new friend was and why he was sleeping in Luhan’s room. “Sure, count us in.”

“Probably a good idea, sticking together, I mean.” The man in the pink t-shirt approved “I am Min Woo by the way. I will tell Doctor Park where he can find you.”

Where is Doctor Park?” Chanyeol asked, curious why he had stayed behind in such a chaotic situation. Still, he trusted the Doctor had a reason and was not doing something foolish in the long run, not after what they had been through.

“I will let him tell you that.” Min Woo answered cryptically.

“Why is everything a freaking secret?!” Chanyeol figured he should be used to mystery by now, but he wasn’t. He slumped down on the van floor, dejected. The stressful thing, he thought, is that things were not likely to become clearer anytime soon, each day adding a new layer to the confusion in his life.

***

The large black and copper dog came running full force as he opened the door.

“Whoa, Rebel. I am home.” Kris tried to calm down the hyper dog, petting his head furiously. He had worried about his dog during his time away, he took comfort in the fact the staff would never see him go hungry.

The rest of the men filed in, a little lost on what they should do next.

“Hey, um, I can show you guys to your rooms.” Sehun offered curteously, looking at the new houseguests.

“How nice of you, Hun-ah” Tao smiled.

“I kind of want to walk around the house – now that I am real any way.” Sehun explained his sudden polite behavior. Sehun was curious to take his shoes off, feel the carpeting and wood floors and the cold tile floors under his feet. He wanted to reach out and touch the fuzzy blanket that rested on the couch in the sitting room, to find out if it actually felt as soft as he had imagined it might.

Tao and Sehun set off, the six new house guests trailing behind them, engaging in sparse conversation as they followed.

“Do you think they are looking for me?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun. He realized that less than a day had passed since he had escaped the mental institution. Somehow the two weeks they had been away were merely seconds on Earth.

“Probably.” Baekhyun sighed. He was still furious at what Chanyeol’s parents had done.

“I am never going back.” Chanyeol said sadly.

“I would hit you if you did.” Baekhyun crossed his arms, resolving to carry out his promise if need be. He didn’t want to see Chanyeol’s parents again. Ever.

***

“Do you think they have more maids than your family?” Minseok asked. They had passed by two of the uniformed servants while they walked to their room, Tao not bothering to explain to the staff who the houseguests were or how long they were staying.

“Maybe. Probably.” Luhan was lying on the bed, his hands folded behind his head as he stared at the ceiling fan “What are we supposed to do now? Doesn’t it seem like we should be doing something important? Not just sitting here waiting.”

Minseok considered Luhan’s questions. He was standing in front of the antique mirror that hung along one side of the spacious room. It was strange to be able to see himself. He has spotted his reflection in a couple of mirrors back on the place they had come from, However this was the first time he was standing in front of a dressing mirror-  like he had seen Luhan do hundreds of times.

“Yeah, it kind of does seem like we should be doing something.” Minseok agreed.

“Do you think we are going to have to kill people, Min? A lot of people?” Luhan bridged the topic that had been gnawing away at him. Well – one of the topics – the other being a Minseok.

“I think we might. I don’t see how we are going to save the world without some violence, unfortunately.” Minseok wasn’t happy about it either. In fact, he wondered if he could hurt someone when the time came.

“I don’t want to… kill anyone. Unless I have to, I mean.” Luhan said it firmly, like he was reminding himself of the fact. Turning on his side he noticed Minseok had looked away from the mirror and was now busy holding a paper weight in his hand, feeling the weight of it with an amused expression.

Luhan giggled, focusing he lifted the paperweight a few inches off of Minseok’s palm. Minseok leapt back in surprise, dropping the glass floral object on the floor. Thankfully plush carpeting cushioned the fall, saving the antique from smashing into a hundred pieces.

“Now pick it up.” Minseok ordered. He tried to look annoyed at Luhan’s actions, but he ended up just looking adorable – at least in Luhan’s mind.

“You pick it up.” Luhan turned back over on the bed, not trusting himself to watch Minseok bend over - without plunging his mind into a whole lot of ual frustration he didn’t need at the moment.

Surprisingly his mind was kept out of the gutter with a sudden realization “My phone!” He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, trying to turn it on. He should probably call his Mom and tell her he wouldn’t be home that night. If the Doctor thought it was okay for Minwoo to drop him at his house, then Luhan thought it was more than okay to let his Mom know about his whereabouts in a vague way. If only to keep up appearances and keep the woman from calling on a search party.

“Does it still work?” Minseok asked, not sure how a cell phone reacted to whatever insane physics experiment they had been through.

“No. Dang.” Luhan tossed his phone on the bed as the screen refused to register any kind of activity “Maybe Tao’s still works. He has a newer version.”

Luhan stood up, “Let’s go see.”

Minseok nodded, following Luhan out the door, the paperweight still resting where it fell.

***

Tao watched Sehun in amusement. The younger man was busy walking around the room, touching the furniture, the objects on the dressing table, the curtains.

Tao wanted to remind Sehun that he had sat on a couch, eaten at a table, and even slept in a bed for the last two weeks. Still, Tao was sure that Sehun was entranced not so much about how it felt to touch furniture, it was about touching this furniture. The furniture in the room where he lived.

Sehun moved to the dressing table, running his finger over the array of products before he picked one, smiling as he opened it.

“I knew this hand cream would smell bad.” Sehun had squirted some of the ginseng based concoction, (which cost $500 a bottle -Tao wanted to remind him) on his palm.

“But it is soft. Smooth.” Sehun began rubbing his hands together, slowly, closing his eyes as he did so. Tao swallowed, enjoying the sight of Sehun slowly caressing his own skin, treasuring the feel.

“Do you want to know what really feels good?” Tao didn’t speak very loudly, his throat was suddenly dry.

“What?” Sehun asked, curious, not imaging any ulterior motives on Tao’s part.

Tao walked over to the dressing table, picking up the small bottle of massage oil he had pushed towards the back of his large collection of cosmetics. Opening the bottle with a click, he squirted a small amount on Sehun’s outstretched hand.

Sehun began to pull away, to rub his hands together and spread the oil, but Tao stopped him.

“Let me.” Tao took Sehun’s hand in his own and began rubbing the oil over Sehun’s skin, slowly. Sehun watched as Tao made small circles with his hands, caressing, massaging the oil into Sehun’s hand.

“It is even better when it is warm.” Tao whispered, leaning a little closer as he continued rubbing the liquid on Sehun’s hand.

“Is it?” Sehun exhaled quickly.

“Do you know what else feels good?” Tao raised his head so he was staring Sehun straight in the eyes, taking Sehun’s hand in his own he moved it to his lips. He smiled, a small, confident smile, as he took Sehun’s index finger in his mouth.

Sehun threw his head back and moaned, loudly. Probably loud enough for half of the house to hear him, but he wasn’t thinking about being overheard out at the time. He was focused on how Tao looked with his finger in his mouth, moving it in and out slowly as he and and nipped.

“, I love you.” Sehun gasped. Tao heard the words, but he didn’t stop. He continued, intensified his action. Tao didn’t want to think that Sehun was too caught in the moment, that he didn’t mean it. No, he wanted to hear them again. He wanted to so badly.

Tao let Sehun’s hand go, swiftly reaching up and crashing his lips to Sehun’s.

The kiss took Sehun by surprise, but he regained his composure quickly. Tao’s tongue invaded his mouth, prodding, discovering. Sehun’s oiled hand rested on the back of Tao’s neck, urging him closer. Pushing, taking, wanting to taste more.

Sehun’s other hand found the button of Tao’s jeans, popping them open easily. He went for Tao’s zipper next, letting his hands linger on Tao’s hard .

Tao broke the kiss first, panting “Touch me.” He looked down, the heat in his body rising as he took in the sight of Sehun’s hand resting on his pants, massaging his through the fabric. Rough, hurried, Sehun kept moving his hand, earning a string of breathy moans from Tao.

Sehun started to get down on his knees, wanting to do more than touch Tao. He wanted to taste him, to take him in his mouth.

Sehun was almost on the floor, ready to pull Tao’s pants down, when the door to the room opened.

“Holy- What in the-Eww! Get a room!” Luhan spun around as soon as he realized what he had walked in on. Tao was standing against the wall, Sehun getting on his knees in front of him.

Tao whipped around and faced the wall, trying to hide his . Sehun stood up, his cheeks taking on an even deeper shade of red.

Luhan shut the door with a slam. Minseok hadn’t seen anything, which was clear given his questioning stare.

“What happened?” Minseok asked, watching Luhan rub his face vigorously as if that would somehow get rid of the image of what he had just walked in on.

“Nothing!” Luhan was not about to describe Tao and Sehun’s capades to Minseok.

The sound of a door opening changed Luhan’s point of focus, thankfully ripping his mind away from what he had just walked in on. Kris and Suho walked down the long hallway, having emerged from a set of double doors at the end of the passageway.

“Are they making out again?” Kris asked loudly, pointing at Tao’s door.

“No! Nope. Definitely not!” Luhan squeaked, trying to seem convincing. It failed. Kris stalked towards Tao’s door, ready to give his brother and Sehun another talking to.

“God damn it, you are so stubborn!” Suho grabbed Kris’s arm, whirling him around. With as swift of a motion as Suho could pull off- given the fact Kris towered above him - he pulled Kris’s neck down and kissed him on the mouth, passionately.

Kris eased into the kiss, apparently appreciating Suho’s outburst more than the other man had guessed he would.

“What kind of house are we living in?!” Luhan put his hands over his eyes. “Come on Minseok, we can ask about a phone later.”

Minseok smiled as he watched Luhan hurry off, finding Luhan’s reaction cute. A few seconds later, Minseok was not smiling. His mind had played a trick, flashing the question in front of him, a question that made him blush and want to be very far away from the thought of couples kissing:

“When would he kiss Luhan?”

***

“Doc-da Park IN DA HOUSE!”

The voice rang out loud and clear, booming through the house, several hours everyone had arrived home. The shout brought all twelve young men to the top of the stairs in a blur of movement, each man eager to hear what the Doctor had to say.

“Get down here kids, I feel like I am on the Brady bunch or something.” Doctor Park waved them down the stairs, annoyed at having twelve pairs of eyes staring at him in amazement.

A couple of minutes later they were gathered in one of the mansion’s larger sitting areas, lounging on couches and chairs, with Kris and Chanyeol standing, leaning against the wall and periodically pacing around restlessly.

“Where have you been?” Jongin spoke bluntly. He wanted to know what the Doctor had been doing.

“I was taking care of the courtroom. Which reminds me – you are officially a fugitive.”

“I guessed as much.” Jongin was frustrated. He knew that freedom was never going to be true freedom – not as long as he was a convicted murderer. “I suppose they are moving in on me now.”

“No. I took care of that. You were last seen at the prison, entering the transport.” Doctor Park smiled “See, kid, it is not that bad.”

“It is still bad.” Kyungsoo squeezed Jongin’s hand. It was still bad – prison was the least of their worries, not with whatever they were tasked to do in the future.

“Are we going to do some super hero stuff, or..?” Chanyeol was seriously wondering when they would start kicking and taking names.

“Brothers, brothers. We need to be cool about this, okay.” Doctor Park moved his hands slowly outward, like he was directing all of them to take a deep breathe “First, I need you guys to put these on.”

Doctor Park pulled out a several thin metal bracelets from his left pants pocket “This will help you to remain in control of your powers.”

Jongdae stared at the bracelets “But you always said there wasn’t an object that could help us control our abilities.” He clearly remembered Doctor Park telling them this one night when he visited their house.

“I was wrong. Yo, just put these on.” Doctor Park pushed his hand forward, offering the bracelets up.

“Don’t do it, something is weird here.” Jongdae held his hand forward, trying to block Kyungsoo before he took the bracelet.

“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo’s eyes grew even wider as he looked at Jongdae with concern.

“Stop acting like I am trying to hurt you.” Doctor Park said with more force, clearly annoyed with Jongdae’s suspicions.

“Guys, just take a bracelet.” Kris reached forward, grabbing one of the silver rings. He was about to slip the bracelet over his hand when a cracking noise was heard from down the hall.

“What was that?” Tao jumped back, staring down the hall. He had to blink a few times before he realized what he was seeing. It was Doctor Park, rushing down the hall. He looked from Doctor Park to Doctor Park, confused.

“Don’t put that on!” The newly arrived Doctor Park shouted, “He isn’t me- it is Ryohei!”

Tao blinked a few more times, and then it was true. Ryohei stood in front of him, Doctor Park standing in the doorway with a concerned look on his face.

“Did Joon Hyung tell you what his power is?” Ryohei challenged, inching closer to the boys. They were all on their feet, startled, they moved backwards as the man they had thought was Doctor Park moved forward.

“Don’t trust him!” Doctor Park, apparently the real Doctor Park, yelled, Ryohei still inching closer.

“He can wipe out thoughts. Replace them. Destroy memory and create it. Do you trust him, do you trust what has happened now that you know that? Has your beloved Doctor lied to you all this time” Ryohei smiled “I am here to help you, he is here to hurt you.”

Luhan wanted to run away, he truly did. But he didn’t. He stood tall, alongside Minseok. In fact he did more than stand tall. As Ryohei inched towards Minseok Luhan unleashed a torrent of energy. So much so Ryohei flew back, crashing against the sofa.

“Run!” Chanyeol shouted, ready to get the hell out of the situation as fast as he could. He didn’t get very far before Doctor Park shouted.

“STOP RUNNING!” Doctor Park held his arms up to stop the stampede of terrified men.

They were all panting, frightened for their lives, as they rushed the Doctor. The halted only when he shouted “IT WAS A JOKE. STOP YOU ARE OKAY. IT WAS A FREAKING JOKE BROTHERS”

They stopped, trying to process what he doctor was telling them.

“A ing joke?” Baekhyun stared at Doctor Park like he had two heads.

“Well, yeah. To test you guys- see how well you could control your powers, see what you did under pressure. Nice work Luhan, Jongdae.” Doctor Park pointed at Luhan and Jongdae, neither man looked none the happier to be pinpointed for using their powers and common sense.

“I thought we were going to die!” Tao whined.

“Uh, no, sorry. Seriously though, please meet a shape shifter.” Doctor Park pointed towards the sofa, the twelve men whipping around to see what he was motioning at, still half prepared to run for their lives if need be.

“What?” Sehun frowned “A girl?”

“Not just any girl. My name is Sunny.” She wasn’t much above five feet tall, with short brunette hair and a proud expression “Or Ryohei or Doctor Park or…well, this is me as just me.” She waved her hands in the air. “The only shapehsifter on earth at the moment. Nice to meet you!”

Luhan wasn’t sure if he should laugh or cry. He went with greeting Sunny instead.

------------------------

a/n- Some more ual frustration? Um..yeah.sorry! But think of when they actually get - with this much build up it has to be amazing (sweats nervously at writing a scene worthy of this kind of buildup). Or maybe I at writing scene teasers, in which case a subpar scene would work, right? *Sweats*

Okay, I will make it up to you guys- let me know in the comments which couple you want to have the first scene. Xiuhan, Taohun, Krisho, Baekyeol, Kaisoo, or Chenxing. The couple with the most votes until my next update (probably Friday) wins *and I promise it will be soon in the story, you erts*

Thank you for reading, commenting, subbing (seriously guys – already over 150 subs. Thank you!!!!!) and especially thanks for up voting (let’s make a quilt, run through a field, and adopt a kitten together up voters)! Until next time - LC


PS- Check me out on tumblr (I am Admin L, working alongside an amazingly talented fic writer Admin R) if you are so inclined ^^