Chapter 18

The Red Shifts

“The way it stands you have an important choice to make.” Choi Seung-hyun stared down at Minseok, his arms crossed, his expression rather lifeless. “If you chose to further aid Doctor Park with his mission than I will have no choice but to kill you.”

Minseok wanted to laugh. A choice? Death or join with men who had tried to kill him in the past? What sort of choice was this?

“Stop papa! Help me stop papa!” Kang Joon jumped up and down, his cries anguished. He had quieted when Choi Seung-hyun had entered the room but his momentary silence was no more. “Help Kang Joon! Help Kang Joon!”

Minseok sighed. How was it possible that he missed being nothing more than an invisible person, a rumored figment of Luhan’s imagination? Perhaps it was because when that was his reality things were less complicated, less dangerous. Less…deadly. “If I help you can you insure the safety of the others?”

“No. I can’t.” Choi Seung-hyun cocked his head to the side, “If they attack my men, if they are not willing to listen to reason, I can’t keep them alive. You must understand this.”

“I will help if you promise not to hurt Luhan. Please, just promise me this.” Minseok wouldn’t, couldn’t possibly aid in such a mission if Luhan would be hurt. The thought of Luhan hurt his heart enough as it was. He prayed Luhan was okay at the moment, honestly he didn’t know. Luhan could already be dead. He felt the tears threaten to well as he thought of the possibility.

“Luhan?” Choi Seung-hyun glared, “Is that you boyfriend?”

“Yes.” Minseok lied. Perhaps it wasn’t a lie. Or maybe it was just getting ahead of himself. Luhan wasn’t his boyfriend, though he had come to the conclusion such a possibility was not something he would dismiss. Luhan, his Luhan.

“And here I thought you liked me.” Choi Seung-hyun brought up the very ually charged interrogation that had consisted of Minseok all but kissing him. Minseok flinched at the memory. “I will try my best but I cannot control my men every second of the day.” Choi Seung-hyun gave in, a little bit.

“Fine. Then I will help you.” Minseok hoped he wouldn’t regret his decision. Seriously hoped he wouldn’t regret his decision later on, his life suddenly a slew of possibilities, each only marginally better than the others, each future seeming grim and hopeless.

***

“Tao. Tao!” Sehun nudged the older man, trying to keep his voice low. Tao whined and turned over, batting at Sehun’s arm.

“Tao!” Sehun wasn’t going to give up. He had to tell someone what he saw, had to relay the information.

“What is it?” Tao blinked, straining to focus his vision, “Go back to bed, Sehun.”

“Tao, I have to tell you something.” Sehun bent down, leaning over the cot he spoke in a whisper, “I heard Doctor Park doing something to Luhan. He was telling him to forget Minseok”

“What?!” Tao rubbed his eyes, then stretched, “What nonsense are you talking about?”

“It isn’t nonsense! I just saw it!” Sehun whined, “You have to believe me!”

Tao sat up, “He was erasing his memory?!”

“I think so.” Sehun turned around, glancing at the door to the small bedroom, “I think Luhan wanted to leave so Doctor Park tried to stop him.”

Tao paled. “Hun-ah, this isn’t good.”

“I know!” Sehun slapped at Tao’s arm, “That is why I am telling you!”

Tao nodded furiously, “We need to tell Suho and Kris.”

Sehun wasn’t about to argue, he figured Suho could keep a secret and at the very least he could keep Kris from blabbing about it. He followed Tao to where the two men lay sleeping, side by side, Suho slightly cuddled up to Kris’s side.

“Suho!” Tao slapped Suho’s arm, the older man jumping up, mumbling.

“Yah! Be quiet!” Sehun glared at Tao, upset that his friend was apparently so dull he couldn’t understand that utmost secrecy was needed at such a time. Tao rolled his eyes before whispering to Suho, “Sehun just saw Doctor Park erase Luhan’s memories. Or it seemed like it.”

“What?”! Suho threw his hand over his mouth, realizing he was being loud as well. “Are you sure?”

Sehun nodded. “I think Luhan wanted to leave.”

“.” Suho blinked rapidly. “This isn’t good.”

“I know.” Tao whined, “Do you think we need to get out of here?”

Suho’s mind was racing. Get out? Escape? Could Doctor Park have a valid reason for having changed Luhan’s memories? The only person they could trust was Doctor Park. He had saved them from gunmen in a courtroom, he had ensured that Suho was returned to his physical form. He had unleashed their powers, guided them once they returned. Leave? Was their trust destroyed after all?

“Maybe we should wait, maybe he had a reason to do that…” Suho chanced, hoping he was right. Tao and Sehun stared at him, their faces showing how little they held the same sentiment.

***

Minseok walked a little ahead of the guards, a few steps forward, the feeling of being kept prisoner weighing on his decision to help Choi Seung-hyun’s cause.

“You aren’t going to be disappointed.” Baro led up the procession consisting of Minseok, two guards, and Kang Joon skipping along in the back, “Not when you see this.”

Minseok was sure that disappointment wasn’t really an emotion he was stressed out about at the moment. He could give a lesser if he was disappointed. What he cared about was if he had went from being used by someone with bad intent to being used by someone with worse intent. That wasn’t disappointment. It was a mixture of self-preservation, regret, and the horror of a life spent as a tool for other, more powerful beings.

Minseok looked around the corridor as they walked. It must be underground, he thought, not unlike the place he had gone with Doctor Park, the place where everyone was already dead. There were no windows, only long halls, nondescript doorways. Perhaps it was above ground, but he didn’t get that vibe.

Baro stopped in front of a door, punching in a code in the keypad it opened with a whoosh. Minseok followed him in, the guards stopping to stand at each side of the door, Kang Joon rushing inside. The room had a long table inside, several files already piled high in front of one of the seats. Baro motioned for Minseok to sit.

Baro sat in the place in front of the files, taking the file from the top of the stack he pushed it towards Minseok. “Read this.”

Minseok glanced at Kang Joon, who was standing a corner of the room, leaning back, watching. Minseok ignored him and went back to the file. Opening the folder he was faced with a black and white, grainy satellite image. He had no idea what it was.

“That is an armory.” Baro explained. Minseok flipped to the next photograph, “That is a satellite image of the DMZ.”

“The DMZ?” Minseok stared back at the picture. The demilitarized zone, running along the 38th parallel it was the 160 mile long area that separated North and South Korea. Minseok flipped to the next picture, the same satellite picture but with several areas circled. “What is this?”

“Their plan.” Baro answered, his expression grim.

“What?!” Minseok looked at the picture again and then back to Baro.

“The easiest way to clear the planet is to have the planet clear itself.” Baro answered cryptically.

“What are the circles?” Minseok was confused.

“Incursion tunnels.” Baro reached cross the table, pointing at the picture, “Doctor Park isn’t stupid. He is going to use a decade’s long hostility to further his own people’s needs.”

Minseok had heard of incursion tunnels through the DMZ. They were discovered now and then, supposedly built by the North Koreans as means to enter South Korea stealthily in case war would break out again.

“He is going to use your friends to mock an invasion and sit back and gloat as war breaks out. As soon as North and South go to war things will only escalate. China will likely be drawn in, the United States most certainly. From there the escalation will only intensify. Mutually assured destruction.”

“When are they planning to do this? How did you find out?!” Minseok was floored. It made sense, if anything so cruel and devious could make sense. Of course starting a war that would pull in the world’s super powers was a certain way to cause massive destruction. Using the people of the earth to destroy earth itself. Sick, twisted, but likely effective.

“Kang Joon.” Baro pointed at the man in the corner, “He was able to gain contact with a few who are sympathetic to our cause. They don’t want to destroy another world because they destroyed their own.”

“If you know what they are planning can’t you stop it?! Can’t you post soldiers or something and stop them?!” Minseok asked.

“Choi Seung-hyun is having a bit of a problem convincing our government’s leaders that an insane alien is going to fake a war.” Baro sighed, “Stupid politicians.”

 “.” It was the only word Minseok could properly form at the moment.

***

Kris was not amused. “I think Sehun has been spending too much time groping my brother under the covers.”

“Yah! What does that have to do with walking in on Doctor Park changing Luhan’s memories?” Sehun narrowed his eyes.

“Seriously, I am sure there is an explanation for it.” Kris had woken up shortly after Suho had started to nudge him softly, he was all arms and legs, flailing as he regained consciousness, asking “WHAT?” at the top of his lungs.

“That is what I was thinking.” Suho smiled at Kris, so sickeningly sweet Sehun made a gagging noise.

“Well, there is only one way to find out if it is true.” Tao pointed at the door, “We go ask Luhan about Minseok.”

“Now there is some solid logic, little brother. Come on, let’s go put this silly thing to bed.” Kris stood up, leading the others out of the room.

“We can’t do that in front of Doctor Park!” Suho stopped them, jumping in front of Kris. “If what Sehun witnessed is true than Doctor Park will realize we know.”

“Nah, just act causal about it. Say something like remember when Minseok did this or that.” Kris waved Suho out of the way, “What is so unusual if we ask Luhan about the guy that was practically glued to his side?”

“Good point.” Suho acquiesced, moved out of the way, following the rest of them out of the room. They walked down the hall towards the living room, the sound of the television blaring. It wasn’t the news, thankfully. It sounded like some kind of sitcom given the over exuberant laugh track. The four men were almost in the room when Doctor Park emerged, “Brothers!”

The four men jumped back in fright, clutching at each other as they faced the psychiatrist.

“Yo, calm down. What is uuuupppp?” Doctor Park held out his fist. Kris moved forward to claim the most awkward fist bump in history. Well, probably the most awkward fist bump in history. “Brothers, I was just going to come looking for you. I need to talk to everyone.”

“Talk?” Sehun gulped. He was not comfortable with this situation, not one bit.

“Yeah. Hey, why don’t you go gather everyone? Luhan is already here so no need to find him, brother.”

Sehun had to concentrate, consciously stop himself from gasping at Doctor Park’s words which seemingly validated everything he had witnessed a few minutes prior.

“Sure, yeah..we will…totally go find everyone.” Kris turned around, pushing the other three men back down the hall, “Be back in a bit.” He called over his shoulder, acutely aware of how Doctor Park stood, staring at them as they retreated.

***

Minseok was halfway through the folder. More pictures, memos detailing what had been learnt, references to Kang Joon, references aplenty to Doctor Park. Each page that he turned revealed a new hideous truth, his mind struggling to comprehend it all. So he had been helping the enemy? Yet the enemy were his people. How, why – to destroy another planet for their survival. Was it…understandable?

Minseok turned to a page describing Kang Joon’s arrival, as he scanned the page he stopped as he read, “The subject’s ability is astounding to say the least.”

“Kang Joon?” Minseok hazarded a question.

“Yes?” Kang Joon responded, still standing in the corner, seemingly hanging back from the reality of the situation.

“What can you do? I mean…what is your power?” Minseok was truly curious.

“A good question! My friend asked a good question!” Kang Joon clapped his hands together furiously. Minseok waited. Finally Kang Joon blurted it out, “Kang Joon can have any power, any power at all!”

Minseok wasn’t sure he understood. Baro explained, deciphering Kang Joon’s statement based on his own research, “Kang Joon can steal powers. That is his power. He can assume any power he wants assuming he touches that person.”

Minseok was sure his eyes widened at the news. Kang Joon could steal powers? Quite the impressive feat, quite the impressive feat indeed.

***

Doctor Park stood in the middle of the living room, a huge grin on his face as he looked around the room. Everyone was gathered, Min Woo and Sunny included. “Thanks guys, we need to have a family meeting, yo.” The psychiatrist laughed at his own words.

“What is this about?” Chanyeol had retained his sour mood, still frustrated at recent events.

“Brother, brother, sister-“ Doctor Park pointed at Sunny and gave her a thumbs up, “We have some friends we need to go meet.”

“Where?” Baekhyun questioned, half cuddled into Chanyeol’s side he did not look amused.

“Yo! What is up with you guys today? Where is your fighting spirit?” Doctor Park fist pumped, “What happened to my brave warriors!”

“Maybe they gave up after being called terrorists.” Jongdae deadpanned, Yixing staying silent by his side.

Doctor Park sighed, throwing his hands up in the air. “Should I get you guys some cookies? Some tea?”

Sehun decided to be bold, to muster some courage. He blurted out, “How can we be so carefree when Minseok is still missing?” He glanced at Luhan, Luhan who had been sitting on one of the side chairs quietly, not speaking. He didn’t show any recognition at the name. “Luhan, what about Minseok?”

Luhan looked at Sehun, a confused expression on his face. “Minseok?”

Sehun felt Tao’s hand intertwine with his own, gripping tightly. “Yeah, Minseok. That cute guy you like?”

“Who is Minseok?” Luhan asked the question, ignoring the fact that Doctor Park started to talk over him, loudly explain where they had to go, who they had to meet. As soon as Doctor Park realized the rest of the men heard Luhan’s words he stilled.

“I was really hoping I wouldn’t have to do this.” Doctor Park glanced around the room, “Truly I was.”

----------------------------------------

a/n- Sorry again for not updating for so long *I *. I hope you like the update and thank you guys for having hung in there for so long. <333333 - LC