Chapter 11

The Red Shifts

“Doctor Park is your Dad?” Jongdae was surprised, to put it mildly. Jongdae looked on as Kang Joon continued to tightly hold onto Doctor Park, burying his face in the older man’s shoulder.

Park Joon Hyung ignored the question, continuing to pat Kang Joon on the back slowly “Did you find new friends, Kang Joon?”

“Yep.” Kang Joon suddenly broke the embrace, pushing Doctor Park backwards as he exclaimed “But they are my friends! You can’t take them away! They are going to bring me back with them!”

Doctor Park remained calm “Of course they are. Do you want to come with Dad?”

Kang Joon’s face lit up, he jumped up and down “You will take me with you?!”

Doctor Park looked at the young man sadly. Jongin noticed it. Hell, everyone but Kang Joon noticed it. Kang Joon, however, remained ecstatic and oblivious that Doctor Park’s words did not match his display of emotions.  

“I will take you with me, but first you need to let your new friends out. Can you do that for Dad?”

Kang Joon’s expression turned dark, he stopped his jumping. Luhan moved to push Minseok behind him, instinctively trying to protect his friend least anything happened.

“Dad, are you trying to trick me?” Kang Joon started to pace back and forth, running his hands through his hair in frustration “Dad still hates Kang Joon.”

Kyungsoo grasped Jongin’s hand, ready to run if the situation turned from bad to worse.

“Dad doesn’t hate Kang Joon. Dad brought Kang Joon a present.” Doctor Park inched forward, motioning at the four men at the far end of the cave “You can have your present only if you let your new friends go for a walk.”

Kang Joon stared back at where Yixing, Jongin, Jongdae, and Kyungsoo stood, then whipped his head back to Doctor Park “I want my friends to have the gift too.”

“Of course you do.” Doctor Park smiled “Which is why I want to show you how cool it is first. Because you, son, are my favorite.”

Kang Joon looked happy again, but his emotions switched within the blink of an eye. Anger contorted his features “Liar! You are a liar! You left Kang Joon here!”

Doctor Park began waving his hands slowly, urging the four men to step forward. Luhan and Minseok stayed put towards the mouth of the cave, both men considering if they should turn and run.

“Make it snow, kid.” Doctor Park directed his words at Minseok, his voice barely above a whisper.

“Sn..ow?” Minseok shut his eyes. Could he just make it snow, now? On command? How did he do it in the training room? He let go of Luhan’s hand and focused. Luhan watched with concern, afraid of what was to come. He had very little confidence in their ability to control their powers, very little confidence indeed.

 

Trying with all his might, Minseok felt heat surge through him. Through his limbs, his core, a heat that burnt up his body. He kept his eyes closed, not sure what chaos he had wrought.

His chaos was mild, considering the result was a weak flurry of snow swirling around the center of the cave.

“How long has it been, Kang Joon, since you saw the snow?” Doctor Park continued to motion for the four men to walk towards him. His beckoning worked. Once the four of them noticed Kang Joon loosing himself in the small snowstorm, playing with the snowflakes like a small child, they walked forward.

“I have never seen this power before.” Kang Joon giggled, trying to catch a snow flake on his tongue.

Once Yixing, Jongdae, Kyungsoo, and Jongin reached Joon Hyung the Doctor barked out an order “Run! Get the hell out of here!”

Luhan grabbed Minseok, who fell backwards, the snowstorm in the cave fading. It was a mad dash out of the cave as the six young men stumbled back into the arid surface of the planet.

“What about Doctor Park?!” Luhan looked back, still holding onto Minseok, who was breathing in and out heavily as he recovered from his recent exertion.

A loud scream emanated from the cave, loud and clear and full of anguish.

Jongdae moved towards the mouth of the cave, Yixing stopping him with his arm.

A figure walked out of the cave, it took the six men a few seconds to realize who was emerging. They feared that Kang Joon had hurt Doctor Park in some way; without Doctor Park they were not exactly sure how to get back to the compound. In fact, they would be lost. Not to mention the fact that Kang Joon did not appear to have their best interests in mind.

“Let’s go.” Doctor Park walked forward, his stride strong. In his hand he carried a small metal box, one that looked very similar to the same object Tao carried through the portal.

“Are you okay?” Kyungsoo asked, not sure what had just happened.

“Yeah. Let’s go brothers, we need to get back to the city.” Doctor Park led the way, never once explaining what had happened back in the cave or what was in the box that he had slipped quietly into his pocket.

***

“YOU took two of our ASSETS outside against my orders!” Ryohei fumed, trying to comprehend why Joon Hyung had done such a thing. It made no sense. Exile to the surface had a purpose, a purpose that Joon Hyung had circumvented with his reckless actions.

“Kang Joon found them.” Joon Hyung said quietly “You know he wouldn’t have let them go. We need them.”

“We DO need them. We need them to develop their powers to top form! We need them to return the way they should return – not half activated and full of ing questions about Kang Joon!” Ryohei yelled.

“You really think I liked doing it? Huh?” Joon Hyung stood up, walking towards the door of Ryohei’s office. He tried to calm down, to no avail. “Do you think I wanted to see him again? To see what he has become?”

“Kang Joon is not your fault. If that is what drove you to do such a stupid thing, then you need to step back. Now.” Ryohei knew what his friend was regretting, he could hear the unspoken words. The words about Kang Joon that Joon Hyung only said when they were drunk, when Joon Hyung thought no one else was listening. He knew the words, but it was still no excuse for his reckless behavior.

“I wanted them to live, is that so wrong Ryohei? Is that so bad? If it is than you need to step back.” Joon Hyung opened the door, leaving without another word.

Ryohei watched his old friend go, not ready to truly consider the weight of his words.

***

“Hello! Is everyone having a great day?!” YoungJi smiled brightly “Doctor Park has asked me to introduce you to your new comrades. Please welcome Icing, Igloo, Ramyun, and Party!”

Jackson rolled his eyes “Seriously. Sorry, YoungJi is deaf. Please welcome Yixing, Kyungsoo, Jongin, and Jongdae. They will be staying with you now.”

YoungJi frowned at Jackson’s admonishment, quickly regaining her perma-smile as the four newcomers filed into the house.

“Are they who you saved?” Suho asked Luhan, trying to be as discreet as possible.

“We didn’t ask for saving, in case you are wondering.” Jongin answered, Suho’s face turning bright red at the fact his question had been overheard by the newbies.

“All right, get to know each other now. Be better friends than Jackson and I!” YoungJi shot Jackson a scowl, the two resuming their familiar bickering as they left the twelve men alone.

“I am Jongdae, it is nice to meet you.” He decided to be the brave one, the one to step forward with his hand extended. His hand hung out in the open awkwardly, no one stepping forward to shake it. About to pull it away, he was surprised when one of the guys extended his own hand, accepting the greeting.

“Chanyeol. Fire.”

“Your last name is fire?” Yixing asked, confused.

“No! My power is fire. What can you guys do, if you can do anything that is?” Chanyeol crossed his arms, a smug look playing across his face. Who could beat fire, after all?

“I can control the earth, break it, and raise it up.” Kyungsoo stared Chanyeol up and down. If the other seven men were as loud and egotistical as this one they would have a long road ahead of them.

“I can shoot lightning, apparently.” Jongdae flashed back to the bolt of lightning that left his body while he was on the surface.

“What about you two?” Chanyeol asked, pointing towards Yixing and Jongin.

“They don-“Jongdae was about to confirm the fact neither Yixing nor Jongin had used their powers yet – or at least identified them - until he was promptly corrected by Yixing.

“I can heal. He can teleport.” Yixing crossed his own arms, leaning his head to the side in a challenge.

“Teleport? Heal?!” Baekhyun whistled “Well those are some kick powers.”

Chanyeol’s face turned red, he stuttered “I wel..well that is pretty impressive.”

Jongin smiled at Yixing’s declaration of their abilities. He felt a sliver of the kinship they had once shared, of the way they could stand up for each other no matter the situation. The faint memory of a time they liked each other.

“That is right. Yixing healed me earlier today. I was near death.” Jongin confirmed Yixing’s ability.

“Then I guess we need to go down the list.” Suho had lost his blush and was now trying to be orderly with their introductions. He listed off each of their powers, pointing at the respective person as he listed off the ability.

“None of us have the same power.” Kris commented looking around the room.

“That is by design.” A female voice sounded from outside, just loud enough for Yixing and the other men standing by the door to hear it “Can you guys open the door?”

Yixing turned and opened the door, the rest of the men looking on to see who the mysterious visitor was.  A woman a bit older than them, probably in her mid-thirties, on the plump side with long brown hair, walked into the house.

“Gook Joo, Specializing in psychoanalyzing tourists on our little rock. Now, can you all tell me the last time you had pork for dinner?” The woman asked, a clipboard and pen in hand, as if she needed to check some boxes.

“Pork?” Minseok didn’t think he had ever had pork before. Or had he? Was pork pig, or was that beef?

“Trick question! That is what we are having for diner – and then we get some time to talk. Cool? Cool!” Gook Joo held up the bag that was slung over her left arm “I brought my grill!”

Gook Joo heard zero complaints from the twelve men. Once they realized there was food involved they were more than willing to participate – therapy session or not.

***

“The optimal time for a red shift will be in five days.” Se Ho clicked to the next image, “You will have a small window of time in which it will work with only a small chance for error. If you wait any longer, I fear it will be too late for you to return.”

Joon Hyung tented his hands, staring at the projection that hung in 3-D over the center of the table. They had to be exact when they executed the shift, if they were too early or two late by a matter of seconds everything would be lost.

“Has there been any indication of interference?” Joon Hyung asked, curious. He doubted it, because if interference had occurred they would never have had the chance to shift to the planet in the first place.

“None, and judging by recent activity I do not expect it. What I do fear is that the kids will react badly to the shift.” Se Ho bit his bottom lip “They have made progress, but I don’t know if it is enough.”

Doctor Park was well aware of the amateur level of the twelve men. They hadn’t had years to practice their powers, only days. Now the timetable was definite – they only had another week and a half to try to learn to control their powers.  A shift back to earth may prove too much, unleashing their abilities in a burst of energy.

“We have to trust them. We have no choice.” Doctor Park stood, staring at the image intently “Is Ryohei aware of the time and date for the shift?”

“Yes. “Se Ho knew things between Ryohei and Joon Hyung had grown tense, but he did not question either men about their disagreement. He looked at them both as his best friends, he didn’t want to get in the middle of whatever they were arguing about.

“Cool. I am going to go visit the boys.” Joon Hyung thanked Se Ho before leaving. Now it was certain, they were returning. It couldn’t come soon enough, his trip back home had been as fulfilling as he thought it would be.

***

Gook Joo scrunched her face, trying to come up with the right words. She failed to find an eloquent way to say it, so she just said it “So you were ing each other and his brother walked in?”

“Yes.” Sehun blushed “But then he said he loved me!”

Gook Joo had interviewed many people in her day, she was prized as someone who could listen well, take detailed notes, and cheer others up. In all of the time she had interviewed and advised others she had never before seen twelve men that broke their problems up into such miniscule happenings and recent events. Could not one of them see that they were on the cusp of greatness? See the big picture?

“Do you love him?” Gook Joo asked. Sehun was the tenth person she had interviewed. She already had notes scribbled on her clipboard for the other young men:

Luhan- Obsessed with Minseok, afraid to admit it. Nice boy, on the shy side unless Minseok is involved.

Minseok-Unaware of Luhan’s feelings. Concerned about others. Selfless. Quiet. Seems to feel the same affection for Luhan that Luhan himself possesses towards Minseok.

Kris- Control freak. Sarcastic. Shows real talent towards creative pursuits. Seems to only respect Suho’s opinion.

Suho-Optimistic, energetic, a cheerleader. Perpetually defensive of Kris and his moodiness.

Yixing – A chip on his shoulder. Sentimental. Wants to help others. Exhibits a weakening hatred of Kim Jongin. Jongdae is his only friend. May be something else there, stronger feelings he is not ready to admit to.

Baekhyun- Sarcastic, uses method to conceal his own self-doubt. Dependent on Chanyeol. Funny and energetic.

Jongdae- Kind, caring, masks feelings he judges too genuine with humor – only if he doesn’t know the person well. Admires Yixing, wants to protect and help him.

Chanyeol-Hyper, unfocused, happy, talks a lot. Tries to pretend Baekhyun is non-essential to his wellbeing, exhibits tendencies that say otherwise.

Kyungsoo- Very protective of Jongin, loyal, passionate in his feelings.

“Wel…I don’t really know what love is.” Sehun answered quietly.

“I see. Have you told Tao this?” Gook Joo asked.

“No!” Sehun looked embarrassed “How could I tell Tao that?!”

“I don’t know, it may be easier than you think.” Gook Joo was debating how best to explain the fact that Sehun should just..do it when she was interrupted by a familiar person.

“Gook Gook Gook Ju Ju Ju!” Joon Hyung sang out as he approached his old friend, sweeping her up in a hug “What has been going on girl?!”

Sehun stood up, hoping that Joon Hyung hadn’t heard any of his words.

“Counseling time? Really? I was these kids counselor on earth and let me tell you-“Joon Hyung wagged a finger at Sehun “You need to be paid more if you are going to psycho analyze these boys.”

Sehun looked annoyed. He bowed, leaving Gook Joo and Joon Hyung alone.

“Ryohei called you here?” Joon Hyung asked, even though he already knew the answer.

“Yeah, and before you get mad it was actually okay. I mean, I now know that Suho has a thing for argyle.” She laughed.

“Important information.” Joon Hyung agreed “Now do you have pork left?”

“You betcha.” Gook Joo lead the way, happy to share a meal with her old friend.

***

“We only have one more day.” Minseok whispered to Luhan, trying to calm his own nerves.

“I know Min, you will do fine.” Luhan reassured Minseok. He wanted to grasp Minseok’s hand tightly in his own, but that had become a bit difficult to do as of late. What had started days ago, when he had awoken with Minseok in his arms, had transformed into a string of dirty thoughts Luhan couldn’t seem to control.

Touching Minseok meant his thoughts – no ideas - came to him full force, the feel of Minseok’s skin, the feel of Minseok at his side, holding his hand in his. Luhan had taken to sleeping on the floor, once he made sure Minseok was already asleep. He didn’t want Minseok to know his struggles, so he stayed awake until the other was snoring, sneaking to the floor in frustration.

“Minseok- you are next.” Se Ho called Minseok into the training room, Minseok standing at what had become a familiar order. The twelve men had practiced for hours and hours each day. Doctor Park had informed the group they had a definite time and date in which they would return to earth. The news had made the twelve of them happy but apprehensive. Dedicated to learning but nervous at the final outcome. They needed to prepare, so they through themselves into their task with passion.

Luhan watched Minseok walk through the doors. He had his own turn in the training chambers a couple of hours ago. The other guys had taken to returning to the house or wondering around with Jackson and Youngji when they weren’t training, Luhan stuck around for Minseok, letting the others go on their way until they had a turn at training again. Suho was waiting too, Kris by his side. The two usually stayed behind, talking with each other as the other men filtered in and out of the training facility.

Luhan talked to Kris and Suho about soccer, Kris’s art, and Tao’s penchant for crying. After about an hour the training door opened, Minseok walking through. Luhan gasped at the sight. Minseok wasn’t wearing a shirt. Minseok did not seem bothered by the fact as he walked over to Luhan, his soaked shirt in his hands.

“The snow melted.” He explained. Luhan didn’t hear him, he was too focused on Minseok’s muscles, his smooth skin, his defined collar bones.

“Hot damn.” Kris muttered, loud enough for Luhan to hear.

Minseok turned to look at Kris, only to have Luhan jump up and stand in between them, blocking Kris’s view.

“Put some clothes on! Here, take my shirt!” Luhan took his shirt off, pushing it at Minseok as he continued to block Kris’s access to the sight of a shirtless Minseok.

“Look away!” Suho jerked Kris’s head to the side, a bit annoyed at his friend’s reaction. Kris finally acquiesced and turned away fully, Minseok putting on Luhan’s offered shirt.

“Geez, I am not or anything.” Minseok rolled his eyes at Luhan’s overreaction.

“You might be cold! I was worried you would be cold!” Luhan chirped, trying to explain away his jealous and possessive reaction.

“What about you?” Minseok eyed Luhan’s torso, thinner than his own, paler, with less defined muscles. But there was something about his friend’s chest, his tummy, his happy trai-

“Luhan, you are kind of hot yourself.” Kris whistled.

“I have to go!” Minseok spun around, heading for the door, a shirtless Luhan trailing behind him. Once the door was shut Suho and Kris laughed.

“You did that on purpose, didn’t you?” Suho asked, playfully smacking Kris on the forehead.

“Yep.” Kris laughed after the two older men’s hasty retreat “They are so clueless.”

“Unlike me?” Suho raised an eyebrow, smiling.

“Suho, I have never been able to fool you, not for a second.” Kris pulled Suho close. If there was one person that had made a difference in his life, one person he needed to keep close, one person that he needed to treat well until the day he died it was Suho.

***

The red portal undulated, moving unnaturally, expanding and contracting.

Doctor Park stood tall, watching the clock. The minutes and seconds ticked down, twelve men nervously standing in a line facing the portal.

Doctor Park had read them the riot act – once they were back things may be chaotic. They may be in danger. They should not use their powers unless they absolutely had to. If they felt any kind of indication that their powers were about to spring forth without their consent they needed to tell him right away.

Se Ho was crying, though he kept wiping his tears away and trying to pretend he was okay. Ryohei was there too, looking stoic and still not speaking to Joon Hyung.

“What you do out there, it affects everyone. All of the people here, all of the people on earth, they are waiting for you.” Ryohei spoke to the twelve who were gathered, emphasizing the importance of what was ahead of them “You can’t screw this up, or everything will be lost. I have said this time and time again, I don’t know how else to stress the point that we are all counting on you.”

“No pressure” Baekhyun joked, trying to swallow his anxiety.

“One minute.” Se Ho announced.

The seconds ticked down like hours. Time slowed. Finally Doctor Park put his hand on Tao’s shoulder, “GO!”

It was a fast and furious pace as each man jumped into the red wall of energy. As the last of them passed through, Doctor Park followed, shouting out “Be well brothers!” as he exited the room.

Se Ho and Ryohei watched as the portal closed, neither speaking. There was not much to say, only a thousand things to hope for.

-----------------------------------------

a/n- And a cliffhanger again (hides head). So what happened to Kang Joon? And when will Xiuhan get it on? Will the portal take them somewhere nice? Stay tuned ^^

Thanks as always for reading, commenting, subbing and extra special thanks for up voting. Hopefully I will have another update in a few days – because I can’t leave this story be. It is just too much fun to write. Hugs- LC