Chapter 19

The Red Shifts

“Do you know where they are staying?”

Choi Seung-hyun had asked Minseok the question and he had directed them to the warehouse. A couple of hours later he learned the warehouse was deserted. Minseok stilled at the news, the realization that he no longer knew where Doctor Park was, where Luhan was.

Minseok thought that his mind was so close to snapping, so close to descending into some sort of madness.

That was the least of his worries, it seemed. That he didn’t know where his friends were, where Luhan was. The least of his worries once Baro stalked into the room he was being held in and announced loudly. “They did it. They started the war.”

Minseok couldn’t form words, couldn’t ask questions that he should ask. He listened as Baro rambled on, the anger evident.

“They attacked an army base, a central intelligence outpost as well. Early this morning they moved in on them and just as Doctor Park wanted the act is being touted as an incursion from the North. ”

Minseok couldn’t understand how it had come to this. How he had been so very foolish to urge Luhan to go along with things way back when. How any of them had been so foolish.

“Choi Seung-hyun is doing his best to convince the military not to act, but that isn’t very likely. Not when you friends decimated an entire brigade of soldiers.”

Minseok wondered, was it possible that his world would end like this? It seemed to be likely now. Very likely. They had served a purpose they were not sharp enough to discern early on. They had served a purpose that was sick and twisted and horrid to dissect and consider.

“Are they…are all of them alive?” Was the only thing Minseok managed to ask.

“Unfortunately.” Baro answered before leaving the room.

***

Anyone who knew them before would slip into utter disbelief at the sight. Anyone who knew them before would fail to understand how eleven young men so strong willed and opinionated could suddenly be so…silent and uncaring.

“Brothers, brothers, good job today, yo.” Doctor Park patted heads, offered fist bumps, smiled at how incredibly docile his charges had become.

Luhan went through the motions, un-phased by the carnage he had witnessed that morning. He went through the motions, believing everything he had done was the right thing to do. It was what he knew, it was what every fiber in his being told him was right. It was……

A pair of dark brown eyes, a shy smile. Luhan reached his hand to his forehead, shutting his eyes he tried to will the image away. He didn’t know what it meant any way. No, he didn’t recognize the person. He wasn’t sure why he had been thinking of that face, those features, and maybe even a few words spoken to him at some point. It didn’t make sense, not when he had never seen that person before. Not when he knew that a person such as that didn’t really exist.

“Are you okay, brother?” Doctor Park slung his arm around Luhan’s shoulders, patting him gently. “You need anything?”

Luhan opened his eyes, smiling. “No, I am fine. Just a small headache.”

Doctor Park nodded, smiling. “I wouldn’t want you guys getting sick before we are done with everything. No, we need to stop this insanity, brother.”

“I know.” Luhan didn’t want the others to think he was too weak to continue. “I will be okay.”

***

Minseok wanted to see Kang Joon, needed to see Kang Joon. The only problem was that Minseok was locked in what he termed a cell, a small room with a bed and not much else. Choi Seung-hyun likely didn’t trust him fully, he understood why he was being kept where he was. Yet his restricted movements made everything worse.

It had been a few hours since Baro had informed him of the attacks. He had gone through several iterations of emotion before landing on a decision – of what to do, of what he could do. He needed to find the others, he needed to find Doctor Park, and he needed Kang Joon to help him.

Minseok could have banged on the door, asking to see Baro, trying to explain what he had reasoned. But he knew Baro was not going to like what he was planning. No, because he wanted not only to stop this madness but save his friends as well. He doubted, after the attacks of that morning if Baro would want to save any of the eleven men from death.

Minseok sat on the bed, swinging his feet back and forth, his hands folded tightly as he tried to think of a way he could get to Kang Joon.

***

Joon Hyung, more fondly referred to as Doctor Park, retreated to the small room in the safe house that he had specified as his “office”. He couldn’t handle the children any more, their blank stares and boring conversations.

He cracked open a soda, wishing it was a beer. He really wanted a beer.

“What in the hell is going on?!”

Joon Hyung had expected it at some point, he was just hoping it would be after everything was said and done. Not now.

Ryohei stood in the small room, hands on his hips, a scowl on his face.

“Did you have to shift here just to yell at me?” Joon Hyung groaned, downing the rest of his soda and throwing the can at Ryohei. The other man had to move quickly to avoid being hit.

“Did you know that Kang Joon is here?!” Ryohei grumbled.

“Yes. No. Maybe.” Joon Hyung sighed. “That is the least of my worries right now.”

“Really? The least?” Ryohei walked to where Doctor Park was sitting. He stared down at his old friend, sometimes rival. “When will everything be wrapped up?”

“Soon.” Joon Hyung announced firmly. “Though we have a bit of a problem.”

“Do I even want to hear it?”

“Minseok was taken.”

Ryohei shut his eyes tightly. “How loyal was he before he was taken?”

“We have Luhan.” Doctor Park replied.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Ryohei snapped his eyes open.

“He won’t do anything if Luhan is in danger. I can promise you that.” Joon Hyung had realized this much.

“I hope you are right.” Ryohei was not amused, to say the least.

***

Minseok didn’t have to consider rushing past Baro the next time he opened the door. No, he didn’t have to think of a way to evade capture while finding Kang Joon somewhere in the underground base because Kang Joon came to him.

“Friend, friend, things are not good.” Kang Joon sing-songed, plopping down on the floor of Minseok’s cell, looking a tad bit like a child as he stared up at Minseok.

Minseok tried to hide his excitement at seeing the man lest he frighten him away. “I know.” He answered simply, kept it short.

“Papa is making things bad, very bad.” Kang Joon frowned.

“Kang Joon, what if there was a way we could stop him, together?” Minseok tested the waters, waiting for a favorable reaction.

“To..get…her?” Kang Joon spoke slowly, an oddity for the man that was full of energy and excitement.

“Yes. You and I could do it.” Minseok leaned forward, staring at the man. “We aren’t weak, we can stop this. We don’t need Baro or Choi Seung-hyun.”

“I don’t like this. I don’t like this.” Kang Joon stood up suddenly, hopping up and down twice. “No. No. No.”

Minseok wanted to cry, his last bit of hope seemingly dashed.

***

Choi Seung-hyun slammed his fist down on his desk. “They won’t ing listen to reason.”

Baro stayed quiet. There wasn’t much worth in saying anything one way or another. Of course military leaders would blame what they knew, a hostile nation over something so paranormal sounding it would boggle the mind if it was indeed true.

“They are planning a counterattack for dawn tomorrow morning.” Choi Seung-hyun shook his head. “Want to take bets on how long it is before the first nuke is used?”

Baro sighed. “I don’t dare even guess.”

“Exactly. ing idiots.”

***

“Kang Joon, Kang Joon.” Minseok reached out to the man, trying to calm him, trying to keep him in the cell. The last thing he wanted was for Kang Joon to bolt, to find Baro and tell him what Minseok had said. “We can do this together. Doesn’t Kang Joon want to be a hero?”

“Hero?” Kang Joon’s expression rapidly shifted, his eyes lighting up. “Kang Joon could be a hero!”

“Yes. With his friend Minseok. Wouldn’t that be great?!” Minseok was hoping that Kang Joon wasn’t just momentarily interested, quick to switch back to protesting the idea.

“Yes! Friend. We could be heroes!” Kang Joon began clapping, a gesture that Minseok now found familiar.

“Good, good. Do you want me to tell you how we can become heroes?” Minseok asked gently.

“Yes!” Kang Joon leaned in close. “Tell Kang Joon how to be a hero.”

Minseok explained his plan as best he could amidst Kang Joon’s frequent interruptions. 

***

“Luhan, what is wrong?” Suho looked at the older man curiously.

It took a few moments before Luhan responded. “Nothing.”

“You look dazed.” Suho appeared concerned. “Do you need to lay down?”

“Maybe that would be for the best.” Luhan wasn’t sure what was happening to him. He had been sitting with the other men, small talk and snacks and…then it happened again.

A face, a flash of something. Someone. Who was he? Luhan had found himself lost in the image, lost in his attempts to understand what was happening to him. Perhaps he was cracking mentally under the pressure, after having such a heavy load placed on him. They were fighting for the betterment of mankind- to save the world essentially. The pressure must be getting to him, he decided.

Luhan entered one of the small bedrooms, starting to feel his headache return, this time a thousand times worse. He fell to the floor, clutching his head. More images. More flashes of something. Of…someone.

Minseok.

Was that his name?

***

 Baro never knew what hit him. He opened the door to Minseok’s cell, walking inside without paying too much attention to what the man inside was doing. He fell to the floor within seconds, something hard and cold pushing him down. As he struggled to sit up he registered a flash of motion to his left. Was Minseok escaping? Baro tried to shout, tried to yell, but he couldn’t. He was buried under a pile of ice.

Minseok rushed into the passage way, Kang Joon behind him. “Remember to act calm for now.” Minseok was hoping he wouldn’t throw up any alerts until he neared the entrance to the base as long as he appeared calm, Kang Joon by his side.

The base was a maze of twisted passageways, all in indiscernible from each other. To make matters worse Minseok had awoken in the base, he didn’t have a memory of the path taken to the entrance because he hadn’t been conscious when he arrived at the place. Kang Joon had muttered something about knowing about a door. Minseok wanted to trust him but Kang Joon’s moods and words could be very erratic, he wasn’t sure that the man actually knew.

“Friend. Here.” Kang Joon pointed down a passageway, Minseok having no choice but to follow him. When they reached the end of the passageway Minseok stilled. Three soldiers were approaching from the opposite direction.

“Remember stay calm.” Minseok whispered to Kang Joon, mustering his courage and turning the corner. The soldiers didn’t stop when they saw them. If Minseok could have done so he would have sighed in relief. Instead he walked confidently ahead, nodding at the three men as they passed.

“Up here. Door up here!” Kang Joon pointed ahead, Minseok trying to shush him lest the three soldiers overheard his words. Looking behind him, Minseok noted the three men were now out of sight.

Minseok followed Kang Joon to the end of the passageway. A large metal door with a keypad faced them. “Do you know the password?”

“Kang Joon knows.” Kang Joon began punching numbers into the keypad, Minseok keeping watch lest anyone approach from the opposite end of the passage.

“Kang Joon doesn’t know.” Kang Joon punched the wall just as an alarm sounded. Minseok knew they were in trouble. Minseok only had a few seconds to process just how in trouble they likely were when the door opened, half a dozen soldiers with guns drawn facing him. Minseok could hear boots stomping from behind him, soldiers were likely closing in on them from both ends.

“Kang Joon isn’t a hero!” Kang Joon whined.

Minseok had to do something. Had to do something….

He focused, letting the energy flow through him. The screams of the soldiers told him his powers had been unleashed, he didn’t know for sure, his eyes closed tight.

“My friend is a hero!” Kang Joon clapped furiously.

“Run!” Minseok opened his eyes, took in the sight of the soldiers, all lying on the ground, having been knocked down by a blast of ice.

Minseok ran as fast as he could, traversing the long passage ahead of him. Kang Joon kept up, thankfully. Another wave of soldiers caught them halfway down the passage, Minseok making short work of them, Kang Joon cheering as he did so.

The alarms continued to blare. Minseok was running on pure adrenaline, rushing forward because there was no choice to turn around and give in. If he surrendered now he would be killed, he was sure of it. He would be killed and the madness would never stop.

Another heavy door awaited them, Minseok not even bothering to ask Kang Joon if he knew the code. Minseok unleashed a fury of ice, knocking into the door, denting it. Minseok tried again, and again. As he did so Kang Joon began to shout. Minseok didn’t dare turn around, guessing there were more soldiers. He heard shots, knew they were shooting at him.

It was another surge of ice and the door crumbled. Minseok grabbed Kang Joon’s hand, dragging them through the doorway. The shots continued to ring out. Minseok turned around and summoned his powers once more, creating a sheet of thick ice where the door had been.

“Free! We are free!” Kang Joon pointed ahead. Minseok stared at the stairs, the sunlight filtering in from above. Rushing up the stairs Minseok found that he was standing in some kind of abandoned building. The roof was only half there, holes in the walls showcasing bare steel.

Minseok ran forward, making it out of the building via one of the gaping holes in the building’s side. Freedom. Now he had to find Luhan before Choi Seung-hyun did.