Morning brings life

Love? Hate? Death.

The alarm sounded with an irritating continuous beep. I wanted to throw it across the room, but knew better than to do that. I immediately sat up and hit the button that was supposed to stop its beeping. What was it called...? I don't remember. It's called the snooze button right? I looked at the time, even though I knew what it was going to be. 4.30am.

I stretched and turned myhead sharply to the left, then to the right. After being satisfied that there were no more cricks in my neck, I got up and made my way to the bathroom. I stopped halfway to pick up my handgun. Better to be safe than sorry. And with the kind of life that I lived, it was much much better to be safe.

After bathing, I made my way to the bathroom mirror, a towel already wrapped around my waist. I stared at myself, looking at my reflection. Studying my own face. My high cheekbones, my auburn hair that nearly touched my shoulders, my eyebags that never seemed to disappear no matter how much I slept. I finally stared deep into my own eyes. I don't know what I was searching for, but I didn't find it anyway.

My face was the same; stoic, cold and void of emotion. Had I expected something else?

I wasn't born with such a poker face. I used to smile, used to laugh. But try living my life for a few years, and soon, you'll understand why I'm like this.

And besides, I thought to myself, I have someone who could smile for me, who could laugh for me. That was enough.

Just thinking of that person, I saw my eyes light up, heard my heart beat quicken, felt excitement bubble inside me.

I was going to see him today.

The thought left my insides warm, although my face remained passive.

I was going to see him today.

*******

 

I hurried out of the bathroom, glad that I had something to actually look forward to today. I entered my walk-in closet, choosing my outfit.

What should I wear today? I said out loud, before shutting my mouth, scolding myself. Someone might be listening. Voice detectors might pick my voice up.

I chose a full black ensemble; black tie, black vest, black suit jacket, black dress pants, black shoes. I was going to wear a black shirt underneath the vest, but i thought I should wear a little colour today. Besides, he liked me wearing pretty pastel colours. So I placed the black shirt back in the closet and chose a sky blue one instead.

I studied myself in the full length mirror. I was happy with my outfit, that is, until I looked up at my own face. My dead, cold face was staring back at me. I hated that face. I felt like punching that stupid piece of glass. Why couldn't it show me an illusion for once?

I didn't think for long. I put on a holster with two holders and placed two handguns in them. I lifted my pant sleeve up and slid two daggers into the holder I had already put on before hand. I took my custom made bullet proof vest and slid it on. It looked like a normal form fitting vest, except that it had the capacity to withstand bullets even at point-blank range.

Grabbing my jacket and briefcase, I went for the front door. I hadn't eaten any breakfast, I realised.I wanted to skip it, eating was such a wasteof time. But I knew that he would get mad if I did so. I didn't want him to get mad.

I grabbed the nearest thing I could see, which in this place was a packet of ramen, before going to my car.

I decided to drive the four-seater today, so I left the sports car in the garage.

I was driving towards my workplace when I realised. I hadn't even cooked the ramen. According to the instructions on the packet, it had to be boiled before eating. I shrugged, not caring, and opened the packet and started munching on the uncooked noodles. It was bland. I wasn't a picky eater, but I wasn't really in the mood to eat something so tasteless. I was about to throw the whole thing out the window when I noticed soething inside it. It looked like a small packet of spices.

Working with myself, I tore the packet open and mixed it with the uncooked noodles. I then started shaking the packet to mix them evenly. Taking another bite, I realised that it tasted better. Much better.

Satisfied with my new discovery, I drove towards Nine, one hand on the steering wheel and the other on my breakfast. I reached within half an hour and parked my car in the open air carpark. I didn't get people who HAD to park their car in garages. I only put mine in there because it was already there when I bought it. But who cared about outside elements dirtying your car? A car is just a car.

I was waiting for the lift, still munching on my packet of ramen which wasn't even half finished. Remember when I said eating was a waste of time for me? There's a reason for that. I take a very long time to finish my meals. It takes me half an hour to finish a bar of chocolate, and twice that amount of time for me to finish eating a plate of rice. I like to savour my food.

And who knew a cheap packet of noodles would taste so good?

I should try cooking it next time. I bet it would taste even better. Would he like it too?

The lift door opened with a silent ding. I was about to step inside when I noticed someone staring at me from the inside of the lift.

"Yoona," I said in greeting, my right hand still holding the ramen packet.

Yoona was the Vice Head Of Nine. She was young, pretty and talented. And she was as cold as ice. Which many find as a major turn off. I heard that she's even colder than me. That is some feat.

Yoona looked at me up and down, a perfectly arched eyebrow raised at me. Probaby because I was greeting her with food in hand.

"Yunho." she replied, as she looked at the packet of ramen I was holding.

I stared back at her non-chalantly, as if daring her to say anything. She may be my superior, but that doesn't mean I was going to bow anytime she passed me by. I don't bow. I never do. Nobody has earned enough of my respect for me to bend my back for them.

She exited as I entered. Our shoulders brushed and we both looked over our shoulder at the same time.

"Yunho," she said suddenly, grabbing my attention, "Try cooking it next time. I heard it tastes better that way."

The elevator door closed between us, and we were separated. I pushed the button for the forty-third floor and waited. It finally reached my floor. I got off and glanced at my watch again. 6:30am. I was on time. I always was.

I knocked on the frosted glass door once and entered.

If you're expecting to see an office, then you're wrong. I was in the lounge room. I only knocked because I knew the person waiting inside would not notice my presence otherwise.

Han Yoochun looked up from his book as I entered.

"Hello Yoochun," I said, as I saw a smile spread across his face.

"YUNHO!!!"