Decision

Out of My League

United States. August 2009.

My dad is Korean and my mom is an English rose from London so I learned to speak both English and Korean fluently. I'm their only child and Im blessed to be born into a wealthy family. My father is the founder and owner of a successful telecom company named Solar, you can say that he's among the elite businessmen of South Korea. He wasn't always like that though, he grew up in poverty but he strived to get to where he is now. I guess that's why he made sure that I understood the importance of hard work no matter how rich a person is.

I grew up in London but moved to Korea with my dad when I was 10, a year after my mom died. Adjusting in Korea wasn't that hard because dad taught me all there is to learn about the culture. It's in a private school in Korea that I finished my secondary education. My dad remarried, her name is Tanya and I call her Aunt, I now have a younger brother named Chace who was born on January 2002, the same year I got into Harvard University.

"Remember my friend, Jung Min, who owns Seoul Hospital, one of the most prestigious hospitals in Korea?. He wants you to work there as a staff nurse in the emergency room, he said you're the best option there is after I told him about your achievements" I recall my dad telling me a while ago. Should I go?

I just finished eating when I saw a picture of me and my dad hanging on the wall, it was taken during my college graduation. I felt a lump rise in my throat, he was always very supportive of me, even when I've decided to study here abroad which obviously made him sad. It's been 7 years since I left Korea, my dad along with Chace and Aunt visit me here several times a year because my schedule won't allow me to go to Korea instead. He's been asking me to go home ever since I graduated 2 years ago, I felt bad to keep on turning him down because I still have goals to finish after college; but now at the age of 23, I already got more than what I came here for: independence, a Harvard degree, nursing license and worked at the best hospital in USA. Having achieved all that, I guess it really is time for me to go home, where I belong, where my family is, I've been selfish long enough.

"Dad, I'm sorry for making you wait, I'm coming home. Love you" I messaged my dad.

And there's a chance that I could get an autograph from Bigbang and Kim Jaejoong. Yay.