Detached

Out of My League

Seoul Korea. December 1, 2009.

I got back from jogging and got ready for work. I wore the hospital uniform which is a scrub suit then tied my hair in a high ponytail. I looked at the clock and saw that I got an hour before work so I read the contract given to me by one of Jaejoong's staff a while ago.

Basically, it says that I will be fined a huge sum of money and may face years in prison if I take pictures or videos of Jaejoong that may harm him, or if I give interviews about him. I wouldn't do any of that, I signed it and stood up, picked up my things and decided to stop by his house next door to give the contract before heading to work.

I arrived in his doorway feeling a little nervous, I was about to knock when I saw his mailbox, ''I think It's better if I just drop it here, he's probably still asleep''. I muttered. I put the contract inside it then turned around just to face a man wearing a cap and mask.

I gasped, I clutched my heart, it triggered memories, memories I didn't want to remember. My body stiffened, it's like I was in the past, ''P-please, don't'' I heard myself say.

Then I felt a soft grip on my arm, and heard a warm voice ''Ms. Ha Eun?.''

My vision cleared, the man pulled his mask down to his chin, I sighed with relief, ''I-it's you'' I breathed, I felt my body relax, then Jaejoong released his grip from my arm.

''you okay? What's wrong?'' he asked looking concerned.

''N-nothing, I'm fine'' I forced a smile ''I was just really shocked, you know, I just didn't know you were there''. I answered.

He nodded, he seemed to believe my answer.

My fear immediately turned to embarrassment that I blurted out ''How do you do that?, Suddenly appearing out of nowhere''. 
He laughed, he looked tired but still looked like a model. He caught me staring, I felt myself blush so I looked down, ''I'm sorry, it's just that it seems that I'm either on the floor or shocked whenever we meet, it's embarrassing''. I said
''It's fine, I think it's cute'' he answered.

I raised my head to look at him, he was smiling. Stop it, you're blinding me with that smile. Wait WHAT? C-cute? He just probably meant that the situation is cute, not you, you idiot, I told myself.
''So, you're a nurse?'' he asked while looking at my hospital scrub suit. 
''Oh no, I'm actually here for your housekeeping, this is our new uniform'' I said
He laughed again, and it made my heart flutter. ''You don't believe me?'' I asked with feigned innocence.
''I would, except that the ID you're holding has a strap with the word 'nurse' designed all over it''. he said confidently.
''Oh, this'',I laughed, I held my ID up then said ''Guilty, you're right Mr. observant, I'm a nurse'' I said and I can't stop myself from smiling.
''Groceries?'' I pointed at the plastic bags he's holding.
''Yes, I have to feed my friends, the ones you saw at the lobby a while ago, they're inside, probably still sleeping'' he answered.
''Okay, I guess you have to go inside then?'' Something inside me wanted to keep talking to him though but still, I started to leave. ''Bye'' I waved.

'Wait Ms. Ha Eun'' he said, I turned to face him, he was still smiling ''What were you doing here anyway?'' he asked. 
''Oh, right'' I put my hand on my forehead then laughed, ''Sorry, it's-it's the contract your staff Jun Hee gave me'' I said, ''I put it in your mail, I thought you were asleep and I didn't want to disturb you'' I said awkwardly.
''My staff? Ah yes, sorry for that, he-'' 
''It's okay'' I said before he could finish ''Signing that contract is the least I could do as a fan with all that's going on in your life now'' I was refering to their lawsuit against SM entertainment. I looked at him and smiled 'I think you need to take a rest too, you kind of look tired, you deserve a good sleep, you've been through a lot lately, You need to take care of yourself' I said with concern.

He didn't say anything, we stared at each other. I can't tell what he's thinking, then he looked away and cleared his throat,

''I think you have to go'' he said in a tone that's different from before.

I felt a change in him, he suddenly looked cold, like he became detached.

''Er-okay.'' my voice didn't hide my surprise. ''Bye then'' I whispered and I walked away, confused. What happened? Did I say something? Was I out of line?.

I guess he really just wants me to be a neighbor, my fault for wishing to befriend him. I felt somehow humiliated and disappointed. I walked straight to the elevator and I didn't dare look back at him