[ Taehyung ]

[Army] Battery BTS One-Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ Their Last ]

Taehyung and Taehee's relationship has always been vague. Although most people around them would consider them childhood friends, Taehyung appears to act too coldly towards her to consider the friendship mutual. He seemed obnoxious towards her from the start, if not totally indifferent. Nonetheless, Taehyung would ocassionally do her favors since their moms are friends. He would chaperone her to concerts, he would walk her home when it's late, but would always make her feel like a mere burden and an imposed responsibility. Throughout the years, she still considered Taehyung a friend, cared for him and treated him nicely. She believed that they were friends in their own way. But somehow, when she found a friend in Jungkook, she starts to be skeptic of her friendship with Taehyung.

Genre/s: Romantic angst

Appearances of other BTS members: Jungkook (Taehee's friend and Taehyung's cousin).

 

xx

 

Kim Taehyung was the kind of person you would spend half of a day texting with an abundant amount of emoticons and exclamation marks, but would not offer a glance when you pass him in the hallway. He was the type of guy to buy you ice cream after a long miserable day of discovering your very, very low marks for the semester, and arrive swiftly by your doorstep with a bright grin and enormous-sized spoon at two in the morning. 

Well, that was one side to the story. Of course Kim Taehyung would spend half a day receiving enthusiastic text messages overloaded with emoticons and exclamation marks, but it would be highly unlikely for him to respond in the same manner. Or even text back. And okay, it's true that it took a whole heap of whining and crying (Taehee made she she was extra loud to emphasise her 'despair') for Taehyung to finally agree in making a quick run to the corner store and haul that tub of ice cream six streets to her apartment at two in the morning, but at least it was cookies 'n' cream. Taehee loved cookies 'n' cream. And Taehyung's bright grin? Yeah, maybe Taehee went a bit too far in making that up. He never smiled.

Taehyung, to Taehee, was weird. They've known each other for approximately fifteen and two-seventh years now. Except she'd never quite figured out how to crack his stone code. His face was always devoid of emotion, though there came those occasional times where his sour moods slackened just a tiny bit. And though she'd never witnessed first-hand his show of being more friendly than usual around anyone else other than their mothers, Taehee liked to relish in the guilty pleasure of thinking she was that one special person Taehyung made exceptions for. Surely, she can call herself a good friend of Taehyung's; she'd always thought like that anyhow. It wasn't like he hated her or anything, right?

"There! That's the place I was telling you about the other day." Taehee pointed at a small bakery near the corner of the street. 

Taehyung's gaze swept across the line of eateries, before shoving his hands deep into his pockets. "I don't recall."

"The one that replaced the bookstore? Come on, I've reminded you almost every day. They're finally opening tomorrow, I'm so excited! I hope their stuff tastes as good as I hope."

"Probably not," Taehyung rolled his eyes, "you're anticipating way too much."

"Well, I guess we'll see tomorrow, am I right? After my lecture." Taehee sharply dug her elbow into Taehyung's side, promptly skipping a few steps ahead as the latter let out a grunt. 

"Your arm is getting more bony by the day," the boy groaned, tenderly pressing at his waist. 

"You'll be more familiar with it if you skip this one out too," Taehee scowled at him, sticking her tongue before turning her face away hoping Taehyung didn't catch her hurt painted across her face. A small request really, to have asked him to accompany her in the Beats Festival last week. She knew he hated these kinds of things, but she wanted him to come nonetheless.

Taehyung didn't say anything after that, and the two continued to walk in silence. They reached the intersection where Taehyung's house was further down their right, but they both turned left like they've been doing for a couple of years now. Taehee peered at him, as she had started sneaking every afternoon or so, to take a short moment in admiring his handsome features she had come to notice in the past few months. Strange, to have known someone for more than three quarters of your life, and suddenly take a small interest in them. 

Taehyung turned towards Taehee's direction, and she quickly snapped her head back around, hoping he didn't catch her observing. He didn't know about her little crush yet, and Taehee intended to keep it that way.

"Your mum mentioned something about dinner soon," he started, and Taehee internally groaned. "A dinner with a friend?"

A friend? So Taehee's mother didn't spill anything about the "special boy" she managed to squeeze out of Taehee. Silently, she congratulated herself in escaping the questions before it got to his name. Taehee couldn't imagine what she would have done if her mum knew about Jungkook. 

"Possible dinner," Taehee smacked her lips. "It's just a night out. And no, you're staying home, Taehyung. You don't need to come out and get me."

Taehyung stared at Taehee, his eyes gleaming knowingly. Taehee let out a long sigh of exasperation as Taehyung turned his attention back on the houses. They had visited this discussion many times before. Ever since Taehee was allowed to go out with her friends one day, and was coincidentally stalked almost all the way back home, her parents became obsessive with Taehee's capability of getting home herself, and Taehyung's tall height and fit state seemed very reasonable to stand as a bodyguard for Taehee. Or at least, whenever it was time to come back home. 

Sometimes, Taehee wondered whether her parents' implementation of seeing her safely back home resembled their ridiculously obnoxious nature, or if this was their shameless way in telling her to stop going out so frequently. Who wouldn't see it was such an inconvenience for Taehyung to come find Taehee wherever she went? A trip back and forth with a forced milkshake or ice tea in between of which Taehee insisted every time. Sometimes it made Taehee so frustrated. How could Taehyung not despise her from all these times? He definitely had a talent of concealing things. If her parents' incentive was to keep her at home, it certainly worked most of the time. 

And she was well over the adult age now. By heavens, she was nearing twenty-one. Surely she was more than capable of roaming around by herself at night. Despite getting her own place and meeting her parents' expectations of a visit back home at least once a month, Taehyung was still walking her home. Perhaps if he showed more interest in a friendship, Taehee wouldn't feel so guilty all the time. 

 

 

 

"She's super cute."

The ball of white fluff jumped energetically around the two, running circles around Taehee and sniffing her sandals in their unfamiliarity, before returning back to Jungkook's free runs. They had decided against a walk around after their lecture, and sought after the Italian home-made meal  to which Jungkook emphasised his passion with. His skills in cuisine were no joke, they had shared their first conversation on the topic of Chinese menus. Taehee was successfully astounded with her dinner despite holding high expectations from the start.

"Bebe needs a trim." Jungkook tried to tempt the corgi in settling down with a gnawed plushy, but put it down in defeat as she showed no sign of such. He scooped Bebe up, gesturing for Taehee to follow him. Taehee brought the glasses of wine to his living room, and sat down next to him. He widened his eyes, shaking his head frantically. "No, put the glasses somewhere-"

In a flash, Jungkook's dog leapt away from his lap and jumped onto Taehee's. Having both hands occupied, she barely managed to maintain her grip on the glasses, and the wine spilled onto her shirt, staining some of Bebe's fur.

"Oh!" Taehee gasped, the cold liquid sending goosebumps across her skin.

Jungkook took the glasses from Taehee, muttering a "Get you a towel", leaving Bebe innocently panting at Taehee, unaware of the mess she had caused. 

Taehee smiled, giving Bebe a light pat before letting her hand linger at her side, engulfed by the softness. Taehee glanced around, thankful to see that her shirt had caught the wine before it could stain Jungkook's couch.

When Jungkook reappeared with a wet cloth, he bent towards her before stopping, realising what he was about to do. He held the hand towel out for Taehee, and she looked down. The stain ran down the middle of her chest. Sheepishly, Taehee accepted the cloth.

"What are you doing?" Jungkook blinked at Taehee as she wiped down Bebe.

"I am so sorry. I got a bit of wine on her."

Jungkook hesitated, before letting out a deep laugh. "Don't worry about her. I should have warned you earlier. Would you like to borrow a shirt?"

Taehee glanced up at Jungkook, surprised. The man stared expectantly back. Despite being constantly looked after by a guy who never looked like he could have fun, Taehee had never borrowed clothing from a male before. 

"No, it's okay. It'll dry." Taehee pressed the towel to her shirt, hoping at least the smallest drop of wine would be absorbed.

"Excellent, you're staining it even more. I'll find my smallest size." 

Jungkook retreated down the hallway before Taehee could protest any further, and she sighed, putting the cloth down and brushed out Bebe's fur. "Your owner is extremely considerate, do you know that?"

The night was cooling fast, and Jungkook replaced the wine with hot chocolate. The heater was pulled out from the corner, settling in front of the old fireplace that Jungkook admitted he only kept for the aesthetics, and in actual fact had never utilised it since moving in. The two shared stories and conversations of every sort, and Taehee wondered how she became Jungkook's first friend since their new course started. Well, it wasn't as if Taehee was horrible at making new friends, it was rather Jungkook being absolutely helpless at socialising. The memory of awkwardly being shoved into him by her friend's rough hands led to Taehee's profuse apologies hadn't left her mind yet. She remembered how she was rendered speechless as the dark-haired man gave one frightened look at her before scurrying away. 

"It is obvious you're the queen of the campus," Jungkook said as he eyed Bebe nearing sleep with her head rested on Taehee's thigh. It didn't take long for Bebe to develop a liking to Taehee, and nonchalantly offended Jungkook by sticking to Taehee since the wine spill.

Taehee didn't feign her confusion. "Queen of the campus? What does that mean?"

Jungkook sent a look that made Taehee feel extremely unintelligent, and she frowned. "You're friends with everyone, and I mean, everyone." 

She laughed. "No, that would be quite difficult. There're hundreds of us here, and by god, I need space to fit all those pharmceutical terms than people's names." She stopped in the realisation of her words. "Not to say that I don't want to become people's friend. I just, think it would be fairly impossible."

"I know what you mean," Jungkook nodded. He then narrowed his eyes in reconsideration. "Actually, no I don't. Not everyone is particularly nice."

Taehee glanced at him. "That is true. Is someone bothering you?"

The man shook his head. "Don't worry about me, it's hard for others' judgements to get into my head." 

Taehee hummed in response, tilting her cup to drink while shielding her face. She kind of wished she had some of Jungkook's uncaring attitude. Truth to be told, you didn't have to be an enemy to receive hurtful comments. And Taehee unfortunately fell victim to many situations in her self-afflicting thoughts and pity.

"I should be getting home now," Taehee stood up a bit unsteadily, accidentally waking up Bebe in the process. The corgi was too far gone in her sleep to have done much but peek through one eyelid, and Taehee brushed her fur again before picking her up. 

"I'll drive you home," Jungkook said as he cradled Bebe in his arms. 

Taehee eyed Jungkook's rosy cheeks. "Not with all the glasses you've had."

He frowned. "I'm perfectly fine." 

"Yeah, I'm definitely taking the bus home," Taehee snorted. 

Jungkook tried to frown harder, but couldn't help his grin that seemed to always make Taehee grin back. "At the very least, let me walk you there." 

Taehee silently took in the sight of Jungkook's moving eyes, and Bebe in his hold, fast asleep. Was she earning a second Taehyung to her? At the mention of Taehyung, Taehee should be calling him, her friend whom seemed to know every event she attended. Or rather, she should be checking her phone, of which she'd pointedly ignored the whole night and even Do Not Disturb. She should really turn off her social media notifications. 

"Alright," Taehee answered at last, shrugging on her coat while Jungkook laid Bebe in her cot.

The walk was short, but not quiet, as the alcohol was progressively dripping in their giggles and sentences. As a team effort, they made sure to clamp their hands hard on each other's mouths if they felt they were disturbing the neighbours at this time of the night. Taehee was sure Jungkook had too much to stay conscious of his actions, as his laughs were become more high-pitched t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter