[ Jungkook ]

[Army] Battery BTS One-Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ Wild Schoolboy ]

Yana told Jungkook that she liked him. Jungjook reacted by ignoring her, and then making fun of her because he felt uncomfortable confronting his own feelings. Yana gets into a minor car accident and fakes an amnesia, just as Jungjook was about to finally face his feelings. The tables turn and an awkward wooing ensues.

Yana - straightforward, androgynous, eccentric taste; can be unpredictable; funny in her own way; bears grudges quietly; good friend; loves music; morning person; humanitarian; witty
Jungkook - a big ball of awkward when it comes to being emotional; usually quiet but knows how to have fun, still; an occasional bully; hates studying; tends to seem passive but is actually hardworking, sleepyhead; individualistic 
Appearances of other BTS members: V and Jimin (their forever confused mutual friends), Suga (the wise and lazy prefect).

 

xx

 

"Honestly Jungkook, your eyeballs are going to fall out if you don't stop staring at her." The low voice emits a warm breath into my ear and I jerk to the side, turning around to scowl at the laughing Jimin.

"Hyung, your breath stinks." I make a disgusted face and use the sleeve of my blazer to try and get rid of the sticky feeling in my ear.

"Pabo. As if you can smell with your ear." Jimiin grins and playfully hits my forearm.

I take a moment to sniff the air a few times before pausing mid-sniff and pinch my nose. "Ah, the smell still lingers."

"Seriously, this kid." Jimin shakes his head and plops down into his seat in front of me. V's desk is next to mine, pushed up against the wall. He crosses his eyes and sticks his tongue out at Jimin, while the latter responds with a judgmental look. I take no notice of V's derp exchange with Jimin as my mind is busy revolving around a person. A girl, to be specific.

Kim Yana. Booted a soccer ball straight into Jimin's face in freshman year. Proved to the year she is one witty girl when someone mistook her for a guy in sophomore. Sneezed and bumped her head into a pole at our first conversation where we were juniors. Won my heart in senior year.

I rotate my head to look at Yana again. I am startled to see her earphones in her hands rather than in her ears as she stares up at a boy. Suga, the school's laziest prefect, is pointing at Yana's blazer and making a comment, to which Yana scoffs and retorts back - probably one of her famous witty remarks. Usually, I would be jealous of a guy talking to Yana, but Suga's in our group so he's aware of my feelings for her, plus he's a prefect so he's probably carrying out orders, though lousily.

The teacher walks in and everyone scurries back to their seats. I sneak a look at Yana. She has hidden her earphones into her blazer pocket. Her head turns to my direction to gaze out the windows and I quickly dip my head down, angling my face towards V's desk. I hope she didn't catch me staring. V notices my red cheeks and snickers, sneaking a hit on my shoulder. I try to hide my smile. 

 

 

Class ends a lot later than I hoped it would. I scrape my chair back and yawn, shoving my books into my bag. I can't wait to scurry back home and hit the hay. 

I follow V and Jimin out of the classroom and don't fail to notice that Yana is one of the last ones to leave. Suddenly, she glances up from sliding her books into her bag and catches me looking. As smoothly as I can, I bring my eyes up to the wall behind her to make it look like I was merely scanning the room and continue on my way out. Once the doorway blocks my view from her, I breathe out a sigh of relief and hope it wasn't too obvious that my eyes were directed on her. I loosen my tie and follow my friends out of the school gates.

Jimin invites us to spend the rest of the afternoon at his place to chill. He and V are playfully nudging each other while I am left hanging at the side, deep into my thoughts. I don't mind being left out from time to time; with Kim Yana on my mind, I'd feel content anywhere at anytime. 

Fingers snap in front of my face and I look up.  "Finally," V says. "You're always in dreamland."

"You've never fallen for a girl this hard before." Jimin raises his eyebrow at me. "Kim Yana isn't the hottest chick around here, and sometimes her jokes aren't . . . jokes at all." I feel a rumble down the bottom of my throat as I take in their critiscm. 

"Let her do what she wants," I say coolly and continue walking to the school gates. "Besides," I quietly mutter to myself, "she doesn't need to earn your love. She already has my heart. She's mine, and mine only." I tilt my head to the side. "Or at least, she will be mine." I think I said that a little too loud.

A hand claps me on the back and I stagger in my steps. "Our little Jungkook is growing up!" V bellows and swings his arm around my shoulders. 

"I'm not that much younger than you hyung," I retort as the corner of my mouth tilts up.

"Say, do you think Suga's going to come today?" Jimin asks. 

"He's so caught up in his duties now," Taehyung says in a fake-mourning tone. "We miss him so much!" 

"Ah honestly, you guys are so loud," a bored voice sounds from behind us and we all jump back together. The prefect stands there with his hands in his trouser pockets, smirking at us. 

"H-hyung! How do you always sneak up on us like that?" Jimin gawks. 

Suga scans the school grounds in a care-free manner. "Maybe if you open your mouth and try not to harass your voicebox each time, you'd hear my footsteps." 

"I'm not always shouting," Jimin scoffs and starts walking again. 

"So." Suga takes a step forward and catches up with Jimin. "What's for dinner?"

"What?! I'm not feeding you!"

"Hmm? You're not going to let the school prefect spend the night hungry, are you?"

"Spend the night?! Hyung you're taking this way too far." 

As Suga and Jimin bicker back and forth, Taehyung takes his arm off me and taps my shoulder excitedly. "Hey, look!" I stare at Taehyung's gleeful face in confusion and follow the direction his index finger is pointing to. Kim Yana's recognizable figure is standing still near the school gates. "I think she's waiting for you."

"Me?" I clear my throat and keep my voice cool. "We're barely friends."

Taehyung doesn't listen and claps his hands, jogging in his steps. "I knew you two wouldn't stay friends for long!"

"Hyung, don't jump to conclusions," I protest as I try to bite down the excitement climbing up my throat. I don't want to have my hopes built up, and then get destroyed in a second. Yana and I barely talk. I know she is waiting for her friend however my skin feels all tingly as our feet takes us nearer and nearer to the school gates. Taehyung is biting hard on his bottom lip as he is expecting Yana to stop us and supposedly ask if she could borrow me for a few minutes so she could confess her undying love to me. Sometimes, this boy doesn't know the difference between television dramas and reality. 

Yana's eyes are on the pavement at the entrance of the school, her back on a pole, earphones in ears. I try to keep my eyes forward as we pass her, and Taehyung's shoulders slump in disappointment as she makes no move to walk up to us. I feel a pang of pain in my chest and I scoff. As if she really was waiting for us.

"Jungkook." 

A silvery voice. I've memorized it into my heart. 

I swallow my saliva as I turn around, Taehyung giving me a pinch at my back. "Hey Yana," I say, grateful that my voice doesn't come out shaky or nervous. Can I really say the feelings rushing inside my body are caused from a mere crush?

"Can you, um, spare a moment please?" Yana says and my lips run dry, my eyes staring into hers. I can feel Taehyung's excitement next to me.

Hyung, please don't embarass me, I think in my head. I glance sideways at him and slightly widen my eyes, as if to say that if I don't approve of what he is going to say, he'll be in danger. 

Taehyung clicks his tongue and turns around. "See you at Jimin's, Jungkook," he says over his shoulder and walks away with his hands tucked into trousers. I mentally sigh in relief. It's a big gamble to count on Taehyung acting casual. 

"Laters," I reply and turn back to Yana. Did that sound lame?

She is standing three feet away from me, hands tucked into her blazer. Her earphones that were in use just ten seconds ago are shoved into a pocket, a bit of the wire hanging out behind her hand. She gives me a small smile. "Can we go somewhere a little more private?" 

I then realise we are standing right in the middle of the school's entrance and students are walking around us, throwing us weird looks. "Oh yeah, sure."

Yeah and sure are the same thing. Way to go, Jungkook. 

"Mind if we talk at a park? It's a better atmosphere than here." Yana looks back, her hair hanging to the side. She can pull off any pose and look beautiful.  I nod and head to the park a street away from our school, Yana joining beside me. Even though she's walking a metre's distance away from me, my heart beats faster each second that passes. 

We enter a small park where little kids are playing in the distance. "Bench?" I say and wonder if that sounded curt. She nods and we slip onto the said wooden seat.  Our bodies are angled towards each other, our knees a few centremetres apart. Yana stares at her knees and looks up. I notice a faint pinkish colour at her cheeks. Up until this moment, I realise that I haven't thought of why she pulled me out. We aren't close enough to actually discuss anything serious.

"Okay Jungkook," - oh that voice - "I know we don't talk often, and this will be really out of the blue but . . ." She stares at me and I watch as her eyes run around my face, settling onto my eyes. "I like you." 

 I freeze. Her last three words repeat in my head. 

I like you I like you I like you.

She likes me. Kim Yana likes me. 

Kim Yana likes me?

But how can that be? I haven't done anything special to her. Maybe she means she likes me as a friend? I don't recall either of us officially labelling ourselves as friends, so maybe this is the start?

My heart thumps loudly as I try to process her words. Yana seems to notice my confusion and speaks up, nervously. "Um. I, I like you Jungkook. More than a friend." There comes the blush. "I like you a lot."

I gulp. This is all too sudden. I've liked this girl for almost a year now, always watched her from afar. Admired her witty remarks, her glares at the backs of people she holds a secret grudge to, her unique sense of humour.

And here she is, confessing to me, yet I couldn't think of anything to say. My eyes had strayed to the pavement, and I look at Yana. Her eyes are hopeful, hopeful of the answer "I like you too". It's true. I did like her. I like her a lot, I guess. But what I am feeling now . . . it's not what I should be feeling. I should be feeling happy, glee, blissful. Numb isn't a part of the list.

"I like you too," I want to say, but instead, I do something that surprises both Yana and I. Without a word, I stand up and walk away, leaving her sitting there with her head tilted downward, her hair covering her face. What am I doing? I bite my lower lip as I cut across the grassy field and turn into the direction of Jimin's house. I don't look back. What was I thinking? 

I don't know. I don't know what I was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter