Chapter 9

HeeChul's Umma

  Lilly wasn't willing to leave her post, and Siwon didn't think it fair to leave either, so they both ended up staying at the hospital, talking quietly or dozing in their chairs. Heechul woke up a few times, asking for "Umma" or ice chips, but never stayed awake long, except the one time when he wanted Lilly and she'd happened to have stepped out of a few minutes. He got rather upset, he she came back in to pet and soothe him. It's not that he wasn't happy his band mate was there, but he'd gotten used to being petted and babied, not that Lilly ever overdid it. Heechul knew he was high maintenance and that most people got tired of it after a while, but his American friend never seemed to.

  Heechul wasn't sure why he'd taken to the tall blonde with the atrocious Korean as well as he had. Sure, she'd found and helped him, but that didn't really explain why he liked her so much. Maybe it was because as much as she fussed over him, she didn't stand for any nonsense, even from him. He'd thrown a few tantrums, from boredom, frustration, pain, or unwillingness to do what he was asked, but Lilly never acknowledged them. He had no idea how, but she just managed to redirect him, by keeping him entertained or getting him to do what he needed to. He figured that was what led him to start jokingly call her Umma. He wondered why she never had kids. She'd have made a wonderful mother.

  Heechul shifted in his bed, trying to get a little more comfortable. He was finally really awake, and was getting rather hungry. He wondered what time it was. The clock was in just enough shadow he couldn't quite read it, and his phone was currently out of reach. He looked over and saw his friend sleeping on his band mate's shoulder, who in turn was using her head for a pillow. He knew it didn't mean anything, but he couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy. He'd gotten used to Lilly using his shoulder for a pillow, though it was usually when they watched dramas together. He didn't even mind the occasional drool when she did happen to fall asleep. He chewed his lip thoughtfully, debating on whether to let them sleep or enjoy startling Siwon awake. The problem was, he'd wake Lilly too. On the other hand, he really was hungry.

  Heechul was saved from his internal debate a few minutes later, when his nurse came in to change his IV bag and saw he was awake.

  "Good morning Mister Kim! How are you today?" She was loud enough that his friends woke up.

  "What the hell? Oh, it's you Laura. Morning." Lilly rubbed her eyes to try to wake herself up better. "Anyone get the license plate number of the truck that hit me?"

  Laura laughed, and Siwon moaned and clutched his head. "I think it's in my skull, driving around and bumping into things. My head really hurts."

  Lilly checked her watch, then looked over at Heechul, who'd been watching the three and was obviously confused. She smiled.

  "Morning silly boy. Nice to see you awake awake. How do you feel?"

  "Morning Umma. Okay. Just hungry."

  "Want me to order your breakfast?"

  At Heechul's nod and Laura's reminder about full liquid, Lilly rummaged around to find the menu. After her friend decided what he could manage, she called it in. The nurse finished what she was doing and told them she'd be by a little later with meds, then left. Siwon observed the others, feeling a little left out. As long as he'd known Heechul, they didn't have the kind of relationship the two who'd only known each other a week did.

  Once Lilly was done on the phone, she nudged Siwon with a foot. "Hey. His Majesty's breakfast has been ordered and is on its way. I'm running down for mine. Want something?"

  "Just some black coffee for now if you don't mind."

  "Not at all. Amuse the brat for me til I get back, would you please?"

  "Umma! I am not a brat! Shisus is younger than me, how come he's not a brat?" Heechul pouted, looking like a little boy.

  "Being here has done wonders for your English I see Hyung." Siwon commented.

  "Not much else to do in this bed, especially when Umma's not here."

  "Two reasons why he's not a brat. A- I just met him yesterday, though apparently we've already slept together." Heechul laughed at Siwon's shocked face.

  "Lilly-shi" She turned to look at him.

  "I'm joking Siwon-shi. I didn't mean it like that. I see the brat hasn't warned you I can be a bit of a ert in the guise of an angel when I want to." Lilly turned back to her friend. "The other reason is, he doesn't Umma me. I don't know why you do. I never had such a son. Anyway boys, play nice. I'll be back in a few minutes." She ran her fingers through her hair, kissed Heechul's forehead, and headed off.

  Siwon commented as soon as Lilly left. "You're awfully comfortable with Lilly-shi kissing you Hyung."

  Heechul shrugged. "She's always done that. I don't know. It makes me feel safe and cared for I guess. Jealous?"

  "Not really. Just surprised."