Chapter 8

HeeChul's Umma

  Heechul fell asleep almost as soon as the three of them got back to his room.

  "They said he'd probably sleep most of today," Lilly told Siwon. "Want me to drop you off at your hotel so you can get some sleep? I need to shower and change and feed cats, then I'll come back here."

  "When was the last time you slept in your own bed Lilly-shi?"

  "The day before I found him, I think."

  "Why don't you sleep when you go home? I can stay here and baby-sit."

  "That's kind of you to offer, but do you speak medical? Besides, I'm listed as his advocate, and everyone is already used to dealing with me."

  "At least take a short nap then?"

  "That I might do. Call me if anything, and I mean anything happens."

  "I will. I can start making phone calls to let everyone know he's fine."

  "Thank you Siwon-shi."

  Lilly kissed the sleeping Heechul's forehead, grabbed the suitcases Siwon had brought, and left, letting the nurse's desk know she was going to be gone for a while, that her charge had another baby-sitter, but still to call her if anything happened. It's not that she didn't trust Siwon as little as she knew him, she just took her responsibilities to Heechul very seriously. Two hours later she was back, Heechul's phone and a pack of Get Well cards she'd found in one of his suitcases in hand.

  Heechul was still sleeping and Siwon was on the phone when Lilly reentered the room. Siwon ended his call and shook his head at her.

  "I thought you were going home to sleep."

  "I couldn't, so might as well sit here. He'll be happy to see these." She waved the cards and phone in her hands.

  "Umma?" Heechul called faintly, still mostly asleep.

  "What is it?" Lilly went to see what he wanted as she his hair.

  "Thirsty."

  "I'll run down and see if you can have water or ice chips. They don't want you vomiting due to the anesthesia. I'll be right back." Lilly rushed off, returning shortly with a cup of ice chips.

  "Here silly boy. Their finest ice chips, just for you." Lilly gave them to Heechul slowly, one by one.

  "Ice chips today, then you can attempt food tomorrow. Full liquid, then real food as tolerated. Since you already just eat mush there won't be much of a change. They're also going to try to stand you up tomorrow now that your leg is repaired. It's better than just repositioning in bed. They think your wrist should be stable enough for a walker as long as you don't try to put too much weight on it."

  "Heechul looked sleepy again, but managed to say, "Thank you Umma for the ice. It would be nice not to be in bed all the time. Goodnight again."

  "I never had such a son," Lilly said fondly, his hair again as he fell back asleep.