Chapter 5

HeeChul's Umma

  Lilly had been dozing in her chair next to Heechul when her phone made the Skype noise, startling both of them awake. She glaced down, then grinned at her friend.

  "Told you he'd call. Want to answer it?"

  Lilly handed the phone to Heechul, who eagerly answered the call from his manager then reached for his friend, who grasped his uncasted hand in both of hers. She couldn't follow their whole conversation, but she caught the gist.

  Manager wanted to know what happened, if Heechul was all right and being taken care of, if he needed anything. Lilly caught the implied "are you sure that woman can be trusted?" Heechul looked a bit ruffled, but answered surprisingly calmly. He'd been kidnapped after a long night of drinking. He'd gone out to his car because he'd left his phone in it, and he needed to call for a ride. He didn't remember anything from when he'd been knocked out til he woke up in the hospital. Lilly was the one who found him, and had been helping him since then. She offered to cook after his leg was repaired and he'd be staying with her til he was well enough to travel.

  Heechul looked up from his call to ask Lilly. "Can he have your address so he can send me some things, like my passport and some clothes?"

  "Sure." Lilly took the phone a moment. "Got some paper and a pen Mister Manager?" she asked in her pathetic Korean. She ended up repeating several times til he had it correct, then turned the phone back over to Heechul. "I'm going to run down and grab some food, but I'll be back in a few minutes, okay?"

 Heechul nodded and returned to his call. Lilly kissed his forehead and left, waving at the nurse who'd come in to change the IV bag, and mouthing that her friend finally got a call from home.

  Meanwhile, Heechul's manager asked again, straight out this time, "Can you trust this Lilly?"

  Heechul glared. "Of course I can. She hasn't given me a reason not to. What she has done is been there as much as she possibly could, tried to make it as easy for me as possible when she can't be here, and even chased an idiot out of my room earlier who thought I was Japanese and wanted to send me, well I don't actually care or want to know. Lilly has been nothing but sweet and helpful. Apparently she's a caregiver at her job, and it shows. Sure, she's a fan, but she's not crazy, and there are far worse people I could have been found by. Besides, she made the effort to contact you and gave you her number, didn't she?"

  Manager sighed. "True. You do have a point there. I'll probably send someone with your things, since shipping will take too long. Where are you and what's the name of the hospital again?"

  Heechul told the man as much as he knew. They talked for a few more minutes, then the dietary lady came in with Heechul's dinner.

  "Lilly should be back any time. If I had one complaint, it's I'm getting so sick of milk and mushy food, but it's all I can manage right now. Speaking of food, is someone feeding the cats? Tell everyone I'm fine, give them this number if they want to call. I doubt Lilly will mind. Oh, and did someone get my car?"

  "Yes, your mother is catsitting, I will, and which bar where you at? I'll see what happened to your car."

  Heechul told him, then said goodbye. It had been nice hearing from someone at home. He'd just shut his eyes for a moment when he heard Lilly come back, salad in hand. She set it on his bed table next to his tray and pulled it over so she could feed him, since he still couldn't bend either of his wrists. She took bites of her own food inbetween giving him his.

  "So, did you have a nice chat? Does your manager still think I kidnapped you?"

  Heechul barely managed to swallow before he started laughing. "How did you know?"

  "Please. I read his tone of voice and body language. I don't have to be fluent in a language to know what suspicion looks and sounds like. I can't really blame him though. You were kidnapped, and I am a stranger."

  Heechul gave her a look. "To him maybe. To me, you're my friend. I don't know how I'm ever going to repay you for your kindness."

  "Straight out of a Hallmark or Disney movie." Lilly grinned. "You're going to drink your milk," Heechul made a face at that. "Heal up from your injuries, and when you can go home and go back to performing, you'll be SuJu's sassy Diva Princess again. Silly boy."

  Heechul pouted at being called silly boy, then grinned. "Yes ma'am!"

  "See, you're already starting to get some of your sass back. Now, if you finish your dinner like a good boy, I'll see if you can have ice cream later."

  "Yes Umma."

  "Don't you Yes Umma me mister. No way I ever had a son like you."

  Heechul laughed, then obediently finished his dinner with Lilly's help.