Chapter 7

HeeChul's Umma

A/N Double update cause I was really bored at work. Go read Chapter 6 first if you haven't already.

 

  Lilly's tears didn't last long, since her phone started ringing almost immediately. Heechul had told her he told his manager to give out her phone number, which was fine with her. His mother and some of his band mates had called yesterday, and she was expecting more today because of his surgery.

  This first call was from Heechul's mother. Lilly forgot her own concerns as she explained as well as she could to the obviously worried woman that he son had just been taken back and that she would be kept posted. She had just hung up when she got another call from an unknown number.

  "Hello?"

  "Lilly Greenwood?" The man's voice was accented and seemed vaguely familiar, but Lilly couldn't quite place it.

  "Yes. How may I help you?"

  "I'm here to see Heechul."

  "He's in surgery right now. May I ask who this is?"

  "His band mate, Choi Siwon. I think I'm in the right waiting room."

  Lilly picked up her head and wiped her eyes, waving at the figure she'd seen in countless videos and photographs. Siwon smiled when he saw her. Dragging a couple of rolling suitcases, he walked over to the blotchy faced, red eyed woman.

  "Hello Lilly-shi. It's nice to meet the person who found and has been putting up with our Princess." Siwon offered his hand, which Lilly took.

  "It's nice to meet you too Siwon-shi, though not under these circumstances. He's been surprisingly well behaved. I think it's all the drugs. Mister Manager said he was sending a delivery boy, but I never expected you, or this soon."

  "I had a few days off, and I can managed English alone. So, how is he?"

  "Sassy, now that he's feeling better. Communicating's been interesting to say the least, but it's done wonders for my Korean and his English. I don't know how long he'll be in surgery, and he'll probably be pretty dopey for a while. I know he'll be happy to see a familiar face. He's only had me, the police, hospital people, and briefly this idiotic social worker who thought South Korea was part of Japan apparently."

  Siwon laughed at that. "You mean it's not?"

  Lilly rolled her eyes, already liking him. "According to some people it is. It's going to be a while. Want to drop your bags off? Where are you staying?"

  "These aren't mine. Mine are already at the hotel. These are for His Highness."

  "Oh good. I thought he was going to end up wearing my stuff when he got out. Come on, we can dump them in his room for now and I'll take them home later. Then, I don't know about you, but I could use some coffee and a donut. Don't tell my doctor."

  "Would you mind if I prayed first?"

  Lilly smiled. "Why would I mind? I haven't quit since I found him. Thankfully God listens even when I can't close my eyes. I know Heechul doesn't believe, but that doesn't stop me."

  The two joined hands and closed their eyes, Siwon praying in Korean while Lilly said her own prayer in English. With an "Amen" they set off, first to drop off Heechul's things, and then to the cafeteria. Over coffee and donuts, Lilly filled Siwon in on everything that had been happening. They also found themselves already laughing and joking like old friends by the time they got back to the waiting room.

  Siwon was in the middle of telling a funny story about Heechul during practice when the surgeon came out.

  "Lilly Greenwood, for Heechul Kim?"

  Her head picked up. "Hello Doctor Perry. How did it go?"

  "The surgery went well. He's fine. They'll come get you in a little while, once he wakes up."

  "That's great news. This is Siwon Choi, a friend of Heechul's from Korea."

  "Mister Choi"

  "Doctor"

  Once the surgeon left, Lilly let out a squeal of joy and started jumping up and down, flinging her arms around Siwon before she realized what she was doing. She back off, blushing in embarassment.

  "Sorry about that. I'm just relieved he's alright."

  Siwon smiled and patted her back. "It's fine. I'm glad he came through too."

  A little while later, they were called back. Heechul was awake, but looked worn out, lying listlessly on his bed.

  "Hey silly boy. How you feeling?" Lilly asked, taking his hand and kissing his forehead. "There's someone here to see you."

  "Hey Umma. Like I've been thrown out of that truck again. Who's here?"

  "Ah, the good drugs will do that to you, and don't call me Umma. I never had such a son." Heechul gave Lilly a weak smile at their shared joke.

  "Hey Princess" Siwon said, stepping up to the bed.

  "Shisus? What are you doing here?"

  "I was just in the neighborhood so I'm playing delivery boy and dropping your stuff off. We found your phone once your car was out of impound, and Henry lent you his plug adapter. Everyone's been worried sick about you. I was such a relief with Manager finally got a call."

  "I was worried about me too, but Lilly takes excellent care of me so I don't worry quite as much. I miss home, and I would like out of this bed."

  Lilly just watched and listened as the two men talked. She couldn't follow most of it, but she didn't care. Even still doped up from surgery, Heechul was more animated than she'd seen him so far. She was happy for her friend.

  "Okay Mister Kim. Ready to go back to your room?" The guy from transport stuck his head in. Lilly nudged Heechul, who hadn't noticed as he was still in conversation with his band mate.

  "Ready to go?"

  "Yes Umma."

  "Don't call me Umma! I'll take you over my knee and spank your sassy . I never had such a son." They laughed, while Siwon looked confused.

  "Umma? Do I want to know?"

  "Ask the silly boy. He started it a couple days ago. I'm only four years older, but he makes me feel ancient."

  "Lilly acts like a very protective mother at times. It's not a bad thing."

  "Oh sure, now you try to get on my good side."

  "Just telling the truth, Umma."

  Lilly pretended she was going to smack Heechul, but just rested her hand on his head as they all headed back to his room.

  "What am I going to do with you silly boy?"

  Siwon smiled. It was obvious how well the two got along, and that Heechul was in the best possible hands. He knew everyone at home would be relieved to get confirmation on that.