Chapter 13

HeeChul's Umma

 

  Four years later

  "Hello? Yes, we just arrived. Okay, I'll look for you then." Lilly hung up her phone and after a bit of juggling and some help from one of the porters who saw she was having difficulties, managed to get her luggage and the wheelchair of her three year old daughter who looked half-Korean to move in the right direction to get off the train.
  "Mama, hungry!" The little girl whined as she was pushed toward the exit of the train station, where she and Lilly were met by none other than Super Junior's manager.
  "Hello Lilly-shi. Hello little one. Oh, is he ever going to be surprised to see the two of you!" the manager said gleefully as he loaded the heavy bags into the back of the van.
  "Mama, out!"
  "I'm getting you out, and we'll find you some food as soon as we can, okay?" Lilly tried to pacify her daughter who'd been so good the entire trip, but was now tired and hungry and cranky. She unstrapped the little girl and held the stiff little body as she explained how to fold up the wheelchair so it would fit in the back.
  "Are you sure he has no idea we're coming?" she asked the manager, who smiled. Lilly's Korean in the four years since she'd seen Heechul had improved drastically, though she still spoke with an accent.
  "Not a clue, nor does anyone else. The only thing they were told is there's a special fan meet before the concert. They're used to contests they don't know are going on, so no one questioned it."
  "Good. I was hoping to surprise him. I can't believe we're actually going to get to meet the whole group!"
  Super Junior's manager laughed and helped Lilly and the little girl get into the van. "I was surprised when you called and told me you were going to be in the country and asked if there was anyway to meet. It's the least I could do for all you've done for our princess."
  Lilly waved away the thanks. "It wasn't anything a decent person wouldn't have done. I hate to ask, but can we stop somewhere? One of us is hungry."
  "I was just going to ask. The meet isn't until later, so you'll have time to relax and clean up at the hotel first as well. Was there any place in particular you had in mind?"
  "Not really. Fortunately, she's not a picky eater, so whatever's easiest."
  After stopping for a late lunch/very early dinner, Lilly and her daughter were dropped off at their hotel.
  "I'll be back around six. I'll call first to make sure you're ready if that's okay" the manager said as he carried Lilly's bags while she pushed the wheelchair.
  "That's fine. I'm hoping she naps since it'll be a late night. Thank you so much."
  After Lilly and her daughter were dropped at their hotel room, she ran a bath while she set the little girl on the toilet and stripped them both, then eased into the warm water. After a good soak and scrub, she fished them both out, drying the little girl before wrapping towels around them both and blow-drying their hair. She dressed them both in bathrobes and went to stretch out on the bed, piling pillows on one side of her daughter so she couldn't roll off. She set her alarm and they both nodded off, exhausted.
  When Lilly's alarm went off, she sleepily sat up and gently shook her daughter awake, who protested with a sleepy, "tired Mama." She made sure the little girl went potty, then got her dressed in a cute pink dress and matching tights. She braided ribbons through her long hair and pinned the braids around her head and slipped her shiny white shoes on her feet before setting her back into her wheelchair and strapping her in. She then quickly got herself ready. Four years had changed Lilly's looks as well as giving her a child. She was less heavy than she used to be, and her hair was shorter.
  Once Lilly had pulled on her slacks and blouse, tamed her unruly hair and slipped into her comfortable loafers, she made sure her ID and tickets were in her purse, and packed her daughters travel bag with spare clothes and wipes in case of accidents, and a few snacks she'd bought on the train. She also tucked their sweaters inside in case they got cold, and were all ready to go when she received the call. She shoved her phone and hotel key into her purse and the two of them headed out to meet the manager.
  "Oh, don't you look cute little one! Heechul's going to just love you!" The manager said as he once again assisted mother and daughter into the van. Only when they started moving did Lilly finally have doubts as to what she was doing.
  "Are you sure about this? Does Heechul even like kids?"
  "Cold feet? Don't worry, Heechul and the rest are going to love her, and he'll be so excited to see his "American Umma." Hardly a week goes by where he doesn't mention you at least once."
  When they got to the venue where Super Junior's concert was to be held, Lilly gulped. It was a lot larger than she expected, so she was fairly nervous when the manager pulled into his reserved parking spot and assisted them out.
  "Relax. It's not as imposing as it looks" he tried to soothe as he led mother and daughter into one of the side exits.
  "They're right through here."
  Lilly took a deep breath and pushed her daughter's wheelchair through while the manager held the door open for them. There they were, Super Junior in the flesh. They were paying no attention, just talking among themselves until the little girl piped up, "Mama! Kitty!"
  That got everyone's attention. Heads whipped around, looking for the source of the sound, and Lilly froze, until a very well known figure indeed elbowed his way through the crowd with an "Umma? Is that you?"
  That broke the spell and Lilly was able to move forward, only to be immediately caught in a hug. "Umma! How come you didn't tell me you were coming?"
  "I wanted it to be a surprise. I was only going to try to see you, until I called your manager and he offered to set this up."
  "It's definitely a surprise. I can't believe you're here! Who's this little cutie?" Heechul asked, kneeling down before the little girl, who had her fingers in and was staring wide-eyed.
  "Kim Heechul, meet Kim Jina. Remember that night you got drunk? She's our daughter."
  Heechul looked stunned a moment, then slowly looked up toward Lilly, who could no longer hold back her laughter.
  "Oh you should see your face! You know very well nothing like that happened. She is my daughter though. It took years, but I finally managed to adopt her. When she gets back to the US with me, her name will legally be Jina Kim Greenwood. I don't want her to lose her Korean identity just because she'll be an American citizen.
  "Mama Out!" Jina demanded, drawing the adults' attention back to her.
  "Okay, okay, Mama will get you out." Lilly unstrapped Jina and hoisted the little girl into her arms, only to have her immediately reach for Heechul. It took her a few tries, but she was finally able to touch Heechul's face and hair.
  "Kitty pretty. Kitty soft." Was Jina's comment.
  "Yes Jina, Kitty is very pretty. Do you want him to hold you?"
  "Kitty hold!" Jina agreed.
  "Careful. She's pretty stiff right now. I didn't want to give her her muscle relaxer yet since it makes her sleepy, then she gets cranky. She had cerebral palsy, which is one of the reasons why it took so long. They wanted to make sure she was going to be cared for properly."
  The rest of Super Junior crowded around, wanting to know who the strangers were, except Siwon who had at least met Lilly before. Jina's eyes lit up when she saw Ryeowook and Donghae.
  "Kitty! G'raffe and Fishy!" the little girl squealed.
  Lilly laughed at the others' confused faces. "I'm sorry everyone. I'm afraid it's my fault. I was showing her pictures so she knew who we were going to meet, and some of the really old ones with you all wearing those ridiculous animal heads were mixed up with the rest. She hasn't gotten most of you sorted out yet, but she remembers Kitty, Fishy, Giraffe, and..." Lilly trailed off when Jina interrupted.
  "Go way S'won" The friendly man had just tried to introduce himself, only to be pushed away. He looked hurt as he slunk toward the back of the group.
  "Siwon-shi she remembers. I forget which picture it was, but it scared her. I'm sorry, I was hoping she'd forgotten." Lilly turned to Jina, who had hidden her face in Heechul's neck. "I told you Sweet, Siwon is very nice. He helped when Kitty got hurt, remember?"
  "No. Bad S'won"
  Lilly's hopes for a better introduction were dashed when the rest of the group started laughing. Eventually they got themselves under control and introduced themselves to Heechul's "American Umma" and her daughter properly. Jina even graciously allowed herself to be held for a moment by "Fishy" and "G'raffe" before clinging back to her beloved "Kitty." Since her mother had the most pictures and stories of him and to the little girl he had the prettiest voice from the videos she'd been shown, she knew and liked him best.
  Eventually the men had to go get ready for the concert, and after some fussing and whining on her part Jina was back in her wheelchair and promised she would see Kitty again soon, while he was singing, the little girl settled down. The manager reappeared to lead Lilly and Jina to their seats in the very first row, where it had even been roped off so the little girl wouldn't get crushed by the mobs of fans. He then handed them lightsticks and earplugs becuse of the noise and promised he'd return afterwards.
  Lily gave Jina a partial dose of her muscle relaxer, so she wouldn't be so stiff but would hopefully not be so cranky either, and inserted the earplugs for both of them, which she was grateful for since the speakers were so close. She thought it was one of the most amazing experiences of her life, and even Jina didn't fuss. She was too enraptured looking for Kitty, chewing on the end of her glowstick which was thankfully too strong for her to bite through.
  Near the end of the concert, Heechul took the microphone and said he had an announcement to make.
  "Everyone, you are all well aware of my unexpected visit to the US several years ago. What you may not know, is that while I was recovering I made a very special friend. She wasn't just a friend though, she was more like a mother the way she fussed and cared for me while I was injured. Well, after four long years I've gotten to see her again, and meet the sweet little girl she adopted. I guess she couldn't handle another son after me, which is understandable. After all, who could. Anyway, I want to all to meet my American Umma and her daughter Jina. Can I get a round of applause please?"
  While the audience went wild clapping and cheering, Heechul himself jumped down off the stage to scoop Jina out of her wheelchair and lead Lilly. As he was assisting her, she pulled him close and muttered into his ear, "I never had such a son."
 
  Well, that's all. I'm going to miss this little story, even if it did take me forever to finish.