Chapter 3

HeeChul's Umma

  After a bunch of tests Lilly did her best to explain, and most part failing miserably since she just didn't have the words, Heechul was finally was finally taken back to his room. One of the nurse assistants was waiting. After helping Lilly get Heechul resettled into his bed, the woman spoke.

  "I brought Mr Kim a menu. Since he has no allergies or restrictions we know of, he can order anything he thinks he can eat. Just call dietary when he's ready."

  After a long and frustrating (on both sides) discussion, Lilly finally managed to order Heechul's lunch. It didn't look totally horrible for hospital food. Since his right arm was casted and his IV was in his left wrist, she offered to feed him. Shutting his eyes a moment, he nodded consent. Slowly, he managed to get most of the soup, applesauce, and jello down. She poked a straw into his milk carton, which he made a face at before finally drinking,

  Afterwards, Lilly helped Heechul get more comfortable. Noticing he was getting drowzy, she gently his hair, talking to him in English. She knew he probably wouldn't get most of what she said, but she hoped the sound of her voice would be soothing. She told him things like how much she liked Super Junior, that she had three cats, what her job was, that he'd get sick of milk by the time he healed. Once he fell asleep, she laborously looked up things on Google translate so she could write him a short note. She knew her syntax was wrong, but she did the best she could.

   Dear Heechul, Went to eat, shower, and feed my cats. I'll be back soon. The nurse will call me if she needs to. Lilly

  When she can back two hours later, Lilly found Heechul awake and looking upset. "Pain?" she asked, but he shook his head, frowning. "Bored?" Concentrating, he finally managed to think of the English word he wanted. "Lonely." After all, she was his only friend in a foreign country.

  "Aw, I'm sorry," Lilly said, slipping one hand into his good one, and squeezing his fingers, and his hair with the other.

  The next couple days passed like that. Lilly stayed with Heechul as much as possible, waiting til he dozed off to eat and shower, sleeping in a chair next to his bed, his good hand in both of hers. Then, she had to tell him something he got upset about.

  "My work week starts tonight, so I won't be here as much. They have my number, and I brought you something." She pulled out an iPad. "Here, you can message me with this. I loaded my drama apps and all my music, and you can switch from English keyboard to Korean. There's a translator app so you can talk to the nurses."

  Heechul looked up, tears in his eyes. "You come back?"

  "I'll be here after work, yes. I won't be very awake, but I'll be here."

  "Good."

  Lilly set the iPad on Heechul's lap and adjusted his bed so he could use it. It took a few tries to figure out how to use the touch screen with a stiff wrist, but he finally managed. He was touched she'd brought him this and set it with both Korean and English. He touched one of the drama apps. "We watch this?"

  "Sure!" She settled into her chair, resting her head against his shoulder so she could see, holding his hand in both of hers the way she usually did.

  The afternoon came and went like that, the two of them watching dramas. Lilly assisted Heechul with his dinner, then helped him get settled for the night. She kissed his forehead. "I have to go home and get ready for work now, but I'll be back in the morning. I left a message with the nurses. Someone will help you with breakfast- oatmeal, scrambled egg, milk, orange juice, and applesauce. Message me if you want me to bring you anything." There were tears in his eyes, and she bit her lip as she left.

  The next four days were like that. She'd come in the morning after work and doze in the chair while he watched dramas, unless he had tests or the doctors came in to talk. She'd help him with lunch. They'd talk as best they could til dinner. She'd help with that, tuck him in, leave a note saying what he wanted for breakfast, and leave to shower and take care of things at home before work.

 

A/N- I know Heechul sounds like an idiot so far, but he was kidnapped. He's injured, scared, alone in a hospital in a country where he doesn't really speak the language, and his only friend is someone he just met, who mostly learned Korean by watching dramas. Plus, when they give you the good pain drugs, it's hard to remember your own name. Fun fact- at the hospital I was in last May, with tachicardia, sky high blood pressure, violent nausea, and failing kidneys due to a near lethal level of calcium in my system, they really do handle meals the way I described. You call dietary and tell them what you want, they make sure you can have it, then they send it up. Not so fun fact- the cardiac/renal diet makes cardboard taste good, and I couldn't have dairy at all because of my calcium levels, and I love milk.