Chapter 1

HeeChul's Umma

  Well okay, the woman thought. If that is Kim HeeChul, then who was driving? I don't think that guy is his manager, since he isn't Korean. She made her way over to the truck, where the driver was half hanging out of the cab, , but not really conscious. She didn't see any blood, but what she did notice was his gun. Now, she knew there were a lot of perfectly good reasons for a person to have a gun, but since even if he woke up he probably wouldn't be himself, maybe even violent and confused, and since he appeared to have had a well-known Korean idol in the back of his truck, she decided to be safe and take the gun away from him. For once fortunately, she was wearing real gloves instead of her usual fingerless ones, so her fingerprints wouldn't get onto the gun as she picked it up. She put it in her hat for safekeeping.

  Soon enough the police where there, followed by a couple of ambulances and the fire department. She'd gone to wait by HeeChul, who had seemed in worse shape, covering him with her long wool coat. She answered the questions she was asked as best she could. No, she didn't know the guy in the truck. She was fairly certain the guy on the ground was a Korean celebrity, and what his name was. She told them what she saw when the accident happened. One of the paramedics handed her back her coat once they brought the gurney over, since she was shivering. She went to pull it back on, noting gratefully that it was a bit dirty, but no blood, when she realized she was still clutching her hat full of gun. She handed it to one of the officers and explained why she had it. He nodded and made a note.

  One of the paramedics tapped the woman on the shoulder. "Since you know Mr Kim, could you come to the hospital and take care of his paperwork? And do you know if Mr Kim knows English or do you know Korean? We don't have a translator on site for that, and it will take some time to find one. I know it's an unusual request and you aren't family or a friend."

  "I only know him from his music and what I've seen on TV, but I do know a little Korean. I'm not sure how much English he knows. He's a favorite of mine and I'd hate to think of anything more happening to him. I'll take resposibility til his manager or family can be reached, though Lord knows how that's going to happen." The paramedic nodded.

  Once the patients were loaded and the police officers were finished talking to her, one of the officers climbed into the back with the other man, and one rose with HeeChul. After the woman double-checked which hospital her new charge was being taken to, she headed for her car and followed the ambulance to the hospital ER, and met up again with them in the trauma bay, where she got to explain all over again. She sat on the edge of the gurney and held HeeChul's limp hand, moving only when asked to by the doctors. There were a lot of questions she wouldn't be able to answer until her woke up and was talking, but she answered as best she could. He was taken for tests to find out the extent of the damage. She waited nervously. She was glad a police officer was taking care of the driver. One charge was nerve-wracking enough.

  When he came back, the doctor had mixed news for her. HeeChul had a broken leg, a fractured wrist and possibly a head injury. However, when they sent his blood in for tests, they found a lot of sedative in his system. The police also came to talk to her again. Turns out the driver was wanted in at least three states for kidnapping and drug smuggling. "Looks like your friend here was another one of his victims." She squeezed his hand, feeling even sorrier for him.

  "Ma'am, Mr Kim is being transferred to a room now. He'll still be out of a while if you want to go home. We can call you if something changes" the ER nurse told her.

  "I'll wait til he's in his room, then run home to shower, change, feed my cats, and grab my Korean phrase books. I don't know how much he knows about what happened to him, and I also don't know how much English he speaks. I don't live far from here." Despite being up all night, the woman had no desire to sleep yet.

  "As you wish"

  Once he was in his room, and she knew he was as comfortable as possible under the circumstances she left, telling the floor nurse she'd be back as soon as possible, and to please call if anything changed. His wrist had been casted, but they had to wait for some of the swelling in his leg to go down before they decided how to repair it. Plus, they had to wait for all the sedative to leave his system, before they could think about surgery if it was needed. She raced home, fed her cats, checked their water and cleaned their catboxes, took a quick shower, dressed in comfortable clothes, threw her phrase books, the notebook she wrote in, and her pen pouch into a bag and headed back to the hospital.

  Once there, the woman pulled a chair up to HeeChul's bed and once again held his hand, singing softly to him til her adrenaline ran out and she fell asleep.