Chapter 2

HeeChul's Umma

  The woman woke sometime later to two separate things. One was the nurse, coming in to check Heechul's IV. The other was a quiet groan and slight moment againt her hand. She blinked, taking a moment to remember why she was sitting by a hospital bed instead of at home. Once it clicked in her sleepy mind she sat bolt upright. Her change was beginning to show signs of waking up! The nurse gently touched her shoulder.

  "Looks like Mr Kim is coming to. I'm going to see if the doctor is able to come see him, or at least find out when he'll get here. I'll be back shortly. Try to keep him calm if he wakes up upset." The woman nodded and squeezed the hand she was holding. With her free hand, she gently his face. His nose scrunched up rather cutely from the contact. I thought he was pretty on TV and in music videos and photos she thought. But even like this, he's simply stunning in person.

  Heechul moaned again as his eyes fluttered open. He moved his moved, either to try to say something or because it was dry, but since the nurse hadn't said anything about letting him drink, the woman decided to talk instead. Scrunching her face in concentration, she tried to wrap her tongue around the Korean words as she said slowly and carefully, "Mr Kim, you're in the hospital. Do you know why?"

  Heechul moved his head slightly, clearly trying to fix his eyes on the tall blonde. His face looked puzzled. Taking a deep breath as she thought of the proper words (at least as far as her limited vocabulary would allow, and she knew her grammar and pronounciation were atrocious) she told him. "My name is Lilly. I saw your car accident. They asked me to stay since no one around here knows Korean." Now his face looked both worried and thoughtful. She was grateful for her years of communicating with people who are nonverbal, and her own hearing problem. She was an expert on body language and facial cues. "They say the man you were with is wanted for kidnapping. Is that why you're in Michigan?" He blinked, which seemed to mean yes. Just then the nurse came back with the neurologist.

  "I see our Korean guest is awake! How are you doing Mr Kim?" Dr Belcher sounded just a little too loud and cheerful. Heechul pulled back from the man as much as he could and tried focusing on Lilly instead, who still had a hold of his hand and  had the decency to speak at a reasonable volume, and even if her Korean was pathetic at least she was trying and he had a fair idea of what she meant. She smiled reassuringly and screwed up her face again as she thought of how to explain.

  "He's your brain doctor. He won't hurt you. He probably has to run tests to make sure you didn't hurt your brain though." Lilly gently squeezed his hand as she turned to the doctor.

  "He knows some English but I don't know how much, so I'll try to translate as best I can. He's moved his mouth but hasn't said anything though. His eyes and face have said a lot though."

  "Are you his wife?" Doctor Belcher obviously hadn't read the admittance paperwork beyond "Korean" and "car accident". Oh lord, this guy is an idiot. I hope he's better with brains Lilly thought, mentally rolling her eyes.

  "No, I'm a, call me a friend." Lilly turned back to Heechul, tapped herself on the chest and said, "chingu". That word at least she was confident in. He studied her face, but didn't say anything. She grinned, "or Noona if you'd like." He narrowed his eyes, clearly not believing she was older, and probably upset she was being so informal when they'd just met. She bowed contritely. "I'm sorry. I was just trying to relax you a little. I really am older though. I just don't look it."

  The doctor cleared his throat. "Well, Miss..."

  Lilly interrupted. "Missus actually. I'm a widow. Lilly Greenwood."

  "Mrs Greenwood, Mr Kim needs a bunch of tests. Orthopedic will be in later to see about his leg."

  Lilly translated as best she could. Heechul nodded slightly when he thought he understood, and finally managed to say something.

  "Mul"

  Lilly turned to the doctor. "He wants water."

  "We can try a little and see what happens."

  The nurse, who had been standing by, slipped out and soon returned with a styrofoam cup with a straw. She handed it to Lilly, who held it carefully so Heechul could drink. He took a few short sips then pulled away, resting his head on his pillows again. In heavily accented English, he said "thank you."

  Doctor Belcher cleared his throat. "Mr Kim, we're going to take you for your tests now, okay? Your friend will be with you all the time."

  Lilly explained as much as she could. Heechul nodded carefully, reaching his good hand out a little. Lilly took it in hers again, gently squeezing his fingers and smiling at him. Once again, in heavily accented English he said "Let's go".

  Sorry this chapter is so dull, but car accidents are like that. Once he's out of the hospital and they figure out how to communicate with each other it should pick up. KE