Chapter 12

HeeChul's Umma

      After the first awkward morning when they woke up in the same bed, even with a pile of pillows and a small orange cat inbetween them, Lilly and Heechul fell into a comfortable routine. She cooked for and fussed over the idol, nagging him to do his exercises once he started physical therapy, while he got a taste of an ordinary American life. He made friends with her cats, or at least tried. Molly plainly adored him, while the two boys weren't sure about the stranger for weeks, until he was finally able to walk again. Then they would graciously allow him to pet them before scampering off.
  Lilly and Heechul still argued over shower times, at least until his casts were off and he was able to wash himself. She just rolled her eyes and told him not to be so sensitive. Was he going to act the same way when he got married? They also had long discussions as their fluency in each other's languages continued to grow. The idol found himself confiding in his friend more and more, even telling her things he wouldn't have mentioned to his group mates or even his own mother.
  Heechul also got to experiece the novelty, for him anyway, of being able to go out without any type of disguise, and not worry about being recognized as anything other than "Lilly's Korean friend." She seemed to know everybody in her community, and no one seemed to care what she did or bought or said. It was a first for him, to go shopping in a sweatsuit and be able to put anything he liked into the cart, without being scrutinized. He enjoyed it, and found himself wishing sometimes he could just stay, though he knew he would have to go back home eventually. He was still under contract, and he knew he'd miss his own home and friends and culture and family. Still, he also knew he'd miss his "American Umma" when the time came for him to leave. He hated it when Lilly had to work, though she was gone mostly when he was asleep so he really didn't notice that much or get to know Angela that well.
  Another first for Heechul was experiencing the American legal system. Though he wasn't the one on trial, and having special permission for Lilly to act as his interpreter, even as fluent in English as he'd become with her help, he was still nervous when his time came to be on the witness stand and answer questions. Fortunately, other witness statements and his own medical records meant that the proceedings weren't drawn out since the jury had more than enough evidence to convict, and his kidnapper was sentenced to jail for life. That surprised him. He hadn't expected such a harsh punishment, but as Lilly cheerfully escorted him to the car she explained that it wasn't considered kidnapping, but human trafficking since he'd been brought into the country illegally and was meant for sale. That shocked him. He hadn't thought about why he'd been brought to the US. He'd assumed for some type of ransom, but no, a buyer had wanted a beautiful Korean for his own private collection. Michigan hadn't even been his final destination, but an accident as the man had gotten completely lost and somehow never noticed where he actually was.
  "I know you don't believe such things, but I truly believe God was looking out for you that night Kim Heechul."
  "I'm beginning to wonder some days Umma, I'm beginning to wonder."
  Since Heechul was healed enough he no longer was on pain medication, Lilly agreed that if he wanted to drink, she'd allow him to. He proceeded to get rather plastered, waking up on the couch in only his boxers and in Lilly's arms. She laughed at him when she saw he was awake, explaning that at one point he'd decided to do a , only to trip and fall. She held him all night so he wouldn't accidentally injure himself since he kept thrashing around. He blushed and scrambled to get his clothes, even with his massive hangover, while she calmly went to give him some aspirin and a lot of water, then make him some food to settle his queasy stomach.
  After the trial and finishing his physical therapy, Heechul knew it was time to leave. He called his manager, who promised to come as soon as he could get a flight, and a few days later he and Siwon who was playing interpreter showed up at Lilly's front door. They stayed overnight at Lilly's insistance, to enjoy her cooking and were surprised when the two of them went to bed together like it was nothing major. He'd gotten used to his friend's snoring, and would actually miss sleeping without anyone else, something he'd never thought he would. He chuckled to himself as he overheard the others bed down in the living room be shocked that he willingly slept not only with another person, but a woman at that.
  Lilly drove the three of them to the airport, and with many tears and hugs and promises to call and text, Heechul kissed his friend's cheek, and whispered "thank you for everything Umma. I'll never forget you." He straightened his back and walked toward his old life, with Lilly calling after him, "I never had such a son."