My Funny Valentine

Beautiful, Crazy Life

 

MY FUNNY VALENTINE

 

The first year Jaejoong and Yunho spent Valentine's Day as a couple was spent working out how to actually handle it as a couple. Generally it was supposed to be the girl who took care of the sweets and the guy who paid for any resulting dating events, while planning to return the favor of chocolate when White Day came around a month later, but since there was a lack of a girl in their relationship, they agreed to just lump Valentine's Day and White Day together-- they would both get each other sweets and gifts, Yunho would plan a date, and they'd both enjoy it together.

 

But all that had wound up being idealistic thinking. As soon as DBSK debuted, Valentine's Day usually wound up falling on another event on their schedule, and celebrating it involved being with their fans in some way or another. Not that Yunho minded sharing that time with them. It's just that he'd acted out so many Valentine's Day skits on variety shows without having been able to do any of it. A Valentine's Day kiss, a Valentine's Day confession, even Valentine's Day kabedon one time in Japan. But more often than not, the only thing he had time to do was give Jaejoong his present over breakfast and maybe sneak a few kisses in before going to bed, since they'd still shared their room with the other members.

 

Now that they finally had their own place and a somewhat freer schedule, Yunho was determined to do the most for Jaejoong on Valentine's Day and actually take the time to appreciate it with his lover. He'd picked out a triple layer mousse cake for both of them, ordered a thick bouquet of roses, and gotten Yoochun to reserve them a private room at one of his friend's restaurants. He had it planned down to the last detail, and he knew it was going to be perfect. He kept on imagining how much Jaejoong would smile and how beautiful he would look, and it only made him anticipate it even more. He finally understood why girls had made such a fuss about the holiday when he was younger. He too just wanted to spend a little bit more time with the person he loved and to do things that would make him happy; not just on one single day of the year, of course, but today was special since all the other lovers of the world would get to be happy together right alongside them.

 

0o0

 

Yunho started off the morning by himself since Jaejoong had needed to go to C&M to help BPM put the finishing touches on a song he had written for them, but Yunho didn't mind since it gave him a moment to go to the bakery and pick up the mousse cake he'd ordered for them without Jaejoong seeing it. The bakery was naturally packed by time he made it in, so he carefully secured a medical mask to cover his face in case any of their fans were hanging around.

 

The cake smelled and looked excellent, and Yunho could already feel his mouth watering. He felt a little bad because everything Jaejoong brought with him would definitely be homemade, but he figured Jaejoong would prefer having something that actually tasted good rather than a botched-yet-well-intentioned cake.

 

When he got back to the apartment, Changmin had gotten in and was lounging on their couch, looking incredibly bored.

 

“Changmin ah,” Yunho said patiently. “Do you know what today is?”

 

“Saturday?”

 

“Other than that.”

 

“The day of the week when Yunho decides to be vague instead of just coming out and saying things?”

 

“You!” Yunho snorted. “It's Valentine's Day.”

 

“Oh.” Changmin looked up at him earnestly. “So where's my chocolate, then?”

 

“You don't get any.”

 

“Eh? Oh yeah, that's supposed to come from girls today, right?” He sighed. “If today's Valentine's Day, where's Jaejoong hyung?”

 

“At the company. I'm going to pick him up in a few.”

 

“Okay. Then since you'll be out for awhile, let me use your TV. Mine isn't working.”

 

Yunho sighed. “Fine. I'll text you to let you know when we're coming back and you need to leave.”

 

“Of course. I certainly don't want to be here for your love fest.” Changmin stuck out his tongue. “Tell Jaejoong hyung to keep it down tonight, you might have fans lurking outside the door if security isn't paying attention.”

 

“Thanks for the advice,” Yunho said drily. “And stay out my fridge while you're here.”

 

“I'm not going to make any promises I don't plan on keeping, hyung.”

 

0o0

 

As soon as Yunho made it into the C&M building, he stopped by the reception desk. “Hi, Sooyeon noona,” he said politely to the receptionist. “Did my flower order come in?” He'd sent it to the company since they didn't accept deliveries directly sent to their apartment, since they'd be bombarded with fan gifts otherwise.

 

“You had a flower order?” she asked, her eyebrows lifting. “They've been here already, but the only delivery they had was labeled for 'KJ'. So I gave it to Kim Junsu.”

 

Yunho stared at her blankly. “...did you even ask him if he'd ordered anything? There are other people in this building with K and J in their initials.”

 

Sooyeon bit her lip. “But he said he needed flowers for his mother, so I thought it had to be him... he looked so happy when I delivered them to him...”

 

And Junsu's irresistible looks win again, Yunho thought sourly. His phone buzzed with a text from Jaejoong telling him that he was heading downstairs to the lobby. So much for my bouquet.

 

Still, Jaejoong looked cheerful when he bounded down the stairs, so Yunho decided it wasn't that big of a loss. The two of them couldn't touch each other on the way to the car, but as soon as they were behind their tinted windows and Yunho double checked to make sure no one else was there, he leaned down to give Jaejoong a kiss.

 

“Happy Valentine's Day, baby,” he said quietly, Jaejoong's cheek.

 

“You, too. I'm really looking forward to it.”

 

“Me too.”

 

0o0

 

By time they made it back, Changmin had cleared out, leaving behind a few empty food wrappers in his wake. While Yunho cleaned up, Jaejoong popped into the shower to wash before they headed out for their early dinner. It had been awhile since they'd gone on a date worth dressing up for, and Yunho was looking forward to seeing him in a suit. He looked good in everything he wore, and formalwear wasn't an exception.

 

Jaejoong popped out about twenty minutes later in his dress shirt and slacks with hair still slightly damp. “You ready for your chocolates?” he asked, extending a container of homemade fudge. “It's the first time I've made this, but I think it turned out well.”

 

“Smells great,” Yunho said grinning. “I also got some for you.” He grabbed the box from the bakery and pulled the lid open. Inside was exactly half a triple chocolate mousse cake.

 

“Uhh,” Yunho said. “There was definitely more of this when I bought it.”

 

Jaejoong looked confused, the broke into a grin. “Shim Changmin?”

 

“Shim Changmin,” Yunho grumbled.

 

“Well, the half he left me with is still pretty big. Don't worry about it.”

 

“But Junsu ah stole the flowers I bought for you, and now Changmin ah...” He frowned. “I just wanted today to be better for you, that's all.”

 

“Today is wonderful already,” Jaejoong said gently. “As long as you're here. Come on, let's have our chocolates.”

 

0o0

 

Yunho was barely surprised when they made it to the restaurant and the hostess didn't know anything about their reservation.

 

“I have someone else marked down for that room,” she insisted.

 

Yunho frowned. Had Yoochun put them down under false names without telling them? “Who is it marked down for?” he asked.

 

“I can't just give out that information, sir.”

 

Yunho texted Yoochun. What aliases did you leave for our reservation?

 

Reservation?

 

Me and Jaejoongie?

 

Oh .

 

You forgot didn't you?

 

I forgot.

 

Park Yoochun, you want to die?

 

No... please don't kill me.

 

Yunho felt like it. None of his Valentine's Day plans had gone right at all, thanks to the other members. All the other restaurants in the area were packed, and they couldn't go anywhere without private rooms for fear of being recognized. Yunho had to settle on a deserted Western fast food place where they could get chicken-to-go to take back home with them.

 

“This has been some Valentine's Day,” Jaejoong said brightly.

 

“You don't seem particularly bothered by it,” Yunho said.

 

“Not really. Seriously, for the past years, all I've wanted is to spend it alone with you so, so far so good.”

 

“Hmm. You're usually not so easy to please.”

 

“I'm also looking forward to punishing the other members with you tomorrow.”

 

“There is that.”

 

Jaejoong smiled. “You know that feeling when someone does something for you, and you're jst grateful even if it doesn't go completely well? I'm feeling that.”

 

“That makes me sound pretty incompetent.”

 

“Well, weren't you?” Jaejoong patted his hand. “But I like that. You've always been so impressive to me since I first met you. I like knowing that there's some things you can't do perfectly.”

 

“Hey, I'm usually good at-”

 

Jaejoong put a finger over Yunho's lips. “You can let yourself be a little fallible right now, because we'll be doing something tonight I know you're very good at.”

 

Yunho froze. “Wait, what if the members mess that up, too?”

 

Jaejoong pursed his lips. “Barricade the door. And shut off our cell phones. And for that matter, turn off all the lights and pretend we're not home.”

 

Yunho laughed like it was a joke, but did all of it anyways. Their first Valentine's Day alone may not have been perfect, but there was one thing he wasn't going to let anyone mess up.

 

 

 

 

Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak,
Are you smart?
But don't change your hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little Valentine, stay
Each day is Valentine's Day