Date

Beautiful, Crazy Life

 

DATE

Saehee entered the break room wearing stilettos and a silver mini-dress which set off her now purple hair, cursing under her breath as she dug around her purse for her loudly ringing phone. Jaejoong looked up sleepily, wondering how anyone who had just gone through the same never ending song and dance prep for their C&M Label Showcase he'd just endured could now be calmly running around the building like a fashion model. He personally felt too dead to even stand up and clean up in the washroom, and he didn't even want to know how badly off his hair was with how drenched it felt plastered against his neck.

 

“She has a date with Minjun oppa,” Brie explained. “Hence the get-up.” Saehee finally got her phone and immediately started grumbling into it about rental cars. “And the angry phone calls. Minjun oppa's agency apparently tries to have a hand in coordinating their public dates to make it harder for fans and tabloids to follow them around and such. Saehee unni hates it.”

 

“Unni is very conspicuous,” Soorin said. “Fans will always notice someone with that bright of hair going out with a handsome actor. If I put on sunglasses, no one ever notices me.”

 

“Not everyone can have your quiet presence, dearie,” Brie said, fluffing Soorin's hair. “Still, it must be bothersome to have to go through all kinds of lengths just to be able to go out on a date. Just the thought of it exhausts me.”

 

“Let's not date anybody, unni.”

 

“According to the tabloids, you're dating like five different idols now. Some of our labelmates included.”

 

“See, I have an exhausting enough fictional dating life. I shouldn't make it worse.”

 

Jaejoong turned to look at Yunho, his lower lip jutting out. They also hadn't been on a date in ages, namely because of the exact same bother Saehee was going through. Their popularity was stronger than it had ever been, and their number of sasaeng fans had also increased to the point where a lot of the things they had done before were now impossible. Their stalkers had naturally figured out that Jaejoong and Yunho were living in the same building as each other, so C&M had moved Changmin over to their residence, placing him on the floor above them so the arrangement would seem less suspicious, and Jaejoong had rented out the rooms next door so it would look like he had his own living quarters apart from Yunho if someone managed to sneak in. Having the extra space did prove to be useful, too, if only so they could maintain their own wardrobes without accidentally mixing each other's stuff up.

 

Casual, friendly outings were okay, but anything that appeared even remotely date-like happened within the comfort of their own home. They'd had more movie nights than they could count, more homemade dinners over candlelight, more quiet evenings of cuddling while reading books or listening to music on the radio. It actually came as relief when they could go to Japan or other outside countries where they wouldn't be as carefully documented and watched, and they could actually manage to slip off from time to time. He didn't get bored as long as Yunho was there, but he liked it when they could go out and do things rather than just staying in the exact same places whenever they weren't promoting.

 

“I want to go out on a date,” Jaejoong told Yunho as they were driving back to their apartment, Changmin sleeping in the back.

 

“We'll be in Japan in a few weeks. Think you can be patient?”

 

“Not really,” Jaejoong said honestly. “Look, it doesn't have to be a super romantic and obvious date. I'd be happy with whatever you came up with, honestly. After all, we both had schedules on my birthday last month. Don't you owe me?”

 

“Did that diamond bracelet I bought you count for nothing? Never mind all the other things we did to celebrate at home?”

 

“Oh, it counted. But all the cool guys these days plan events for their lover, too, hmmm? Plus, it can be a birthday treat for you, if you pick something we'll both enjoy.”

 

“Fine, fine. I want to go out with you, too, but we'll be playing it carefully, all right?”

 

“Of course. I can stand a few tinted windows. I'll even wear a wig if you want me to.”

 

“...I don't think we have to go that far. Just give me a little bit, and I'll come up with something.”

 

“Great. I'll look forward to it.”

 

“You're such a high maintenance girlfriend,” Changmin commented from the backseat, cracking his eyes open.

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes. “Come on, we all know Yunho can't stand not doing something nice for somebody at every other second. I just like to provide him with the opportunities.”

 

“I like to think I've come a ways from not even being able to afford a better truck, and being someone who relied on Jaejoongie to scrape together decent recording equipment for me,” Yunho said fondly. “If I can afford to do things for him, why not?”

 

“I'll remember this next time you conveniently forget your wallet when we go to eat,” Changmin muttered.

 

“That wasn't on purpose! I'll owe you one, too, okay?”

 

“I want to go to the ice cream parlor and try that new Super Sundae Brownie Bowl they added to the menu.”

 

“Ice cream?" Yunho's face instantly brightened. "You got it.”

 

“Are you two really planning a date in front of me?” Jaejoong asked in amazement.

 

“Hey, he used to take me out for ice cream long before he ever met you,” Changmin said. “You were the homewrecker who came along and put an end to my free food trips with hyung. If you hadn't been such a good cook yourself, I would have had to eliminate you.”

 

Jaejoong turned around. “Are you serious?”

 

Changmin shrugged. “I don't owe you an explanation.”

 

“This kid... why the heck did Hyunsoo nim choose him to be the one to move in with us?”

 

“To keep you honest,” he yawned, shutting his eyes again. “And because I'm not going to make you go through a date training scandal prevention course like Junsu hyung would, so consider yourself lucky.”

 

“Point taken.”

 

0o0

 

A few days later, Jaejoong woke up to a note from Yunho on the pillow. Jae-- I have the date in plan for today, so be sure to arrive to the ice cream parlor at noon! I'm taking Changmin there for his Brownie Bowl this morning, and we're going to make it look like you're meeting up with us so it won't look like a date right off the bat. Be sure to dress very warmly-- I'm packing everything else we'll need, but if you have time, could you drop by the mart to get some hot chocolate mixes? I love you, and I'm really looking forward to this afternoon! -Yunho

 

“So... not going to tell me what kind of date this is?” Jaejoong murmured. He didn't mind. He loved surprises, and it actually sounded like Yunho had managed to coordinate a more involved event than just taking a walk somewhere. He pulled himself out of bed and immediately began digging around his closet for his warmest sweaters, hat, scarves, and gloves.

 

They didn't have any hot chocolate mixes around the house, so Jaejoong layered up and got ready to head out to the mart. It was easier to do inconspicuous shopping in the winter when he could hide behind his scarves, so he didn't mind making the extra effort.

 

Anyone who might have been hanging around the apartment in the morning had apparently already been led off by Changmin and Yunho to the ice cream parlor or shooed away by building security, since he didn't see anyone hanging around nearby. A good start. The mart was fairly crowded since it was the weekend, but no one seemed to notice him as he slipped off to make his purchase.

 

He had just managed to safely grab a box of hot chocolate mix when he heard an older woman's voice saying, “Dear, isn't that your friend over there? Kim Jaejoong?” Jaejoong froze in his tracks, and it wasn't long before everyone else in the aisle with him were swinging their heads around to try and pick him out.

 

He tried to duck his head, but to his absolute horror, it was Soorin's voice responding to the woman. “Ah, yes, that's him. Would you like to meet him?”

 

“Of course! You mention him all the time, but we've never even met...”

 

“All right, then.” He heard a pair of high heeled boots approaching him. “Jae~joong~ah~” Soorin trilled tapping his shoulder. “I didn't expect to see you here.”

 

“Me either.” He glanced back and forth, watching as the bystanders pulling out their cell phones. “Er, Soorin noona, is now really the time...?” he whispered.

 

“Don't worry, we'll be quick,” she said in her all too calm voice. “You've never met my mother. Park Chaehwa. This is Kim Jaejoong. From Dong Bang Shin Ki.”

 

Even though Soorin spoke in her same quiet tone, it still felt to Jaejoong like she was blasting it from the loudspeaker. Still, he remembered Mrs. Park's circumstances, and reminded himself it wasn't worth complaining over. Her cancer had gone into remission and she was finally able to get by with a hired caretaker and less frequent hospital care, but she still hadn't been able to attend most of Soorin's events, since years of illness had left her physically fragile and unsuited to the large and crowded environments of their concerts and showcases. Jaejoong was familiar with most of the families of his labelmates, but Soorin was still prone to keeping hers under wraps.

 

“Nice to meet you,” he said, bowing. “I've heard so much about you.”

 

“Probably not as much as I've heard about you and your group. And my, aren't you a good looking young man? Even more impressive than in pictures! I wasn't sure what to think at first, but now I'm more flattered people assume you're dating my daughter.”

 

Jaejoong laughed weakly, glad that Mrs. Park had just as quiet of a voice as her daughter. “Soorin noona is pretty enough on her own.”

 

“Of course, of course. But still, what matters most to me, as a mother, is how good of a heart you have.” To Jaejoong's surprise, she reached out to clasp his hands. “The kindness you have shown her is completely beyond anything you had to do. You've helped her to grow so much as an artist and person, when I've been so helpless my entire life... if there is anything I can ever do to repay you, I'd do it in a heartbeat.” Tears filled her eyes. “You really are an amazing person, Kim Jaejoong. God was smiling down on us the day you were able to meet my poor daughter.”

 

Soorin, now finally wising up to the fact that people were desperately attempting to eavesdrop on their conversation, forced her lips into the widest smile she was capable of. “And that's why he's one of my best friends!” she said, putting plenty of emphasis on the word friend.

 

“And I'm very glad for it! You must let us take you out to lunch! My daughter and I were just about to visit the new Japanese restaurant down the street.”

 

“Thank you for the offer, but I'm...” He glanced warily around him. If he said he was meeting up with his groupmates, the number of people who followed him out of the shop was bound to increase. “I have another obligation after this. Maybe some other time?”

 

“I'll look forward to it. I was happy for the chance to meet you, Jaejoong goon.”

 

“Me as well.”

 

Soorin and her mother said their farewells, and some of the customers who'd watched their exchange followed them out, while others hung around, waiting for Jaejoong so they could ask him for an autograph.

 

As soon as he was outside, Jaejoong got into his car as quickly as possible to shake off the people following him on foot, but there were most likely still some people tailing him in their cars. He went around the long way to the ice cream parlor, even though he knew they were already bound to be hangers on there as well.

 

Sure enough, the ice cream parlor was uncharacteristically full when Jaejoong made it, and there were more than a few muffled shrieks when he headed in to meet Yunho and Changmin at their booth. “You're a half hour late,” Yunho hissed when Jaejoong sat down. “Changmin finished his brownie bowl in like two seconds, so we've just been sitting here, doing nothing with everyone watching. I had to order two sundaes for myself just to keep busy.”

 

“Sorry,” Jaejoong said quickly. “I ran in to Soorin noona and her mother at the mart. I didn't want to run off on them, and then I got stuck signing things for awhile. Besides, don't act like eating two sundaes is a bad thing, I know how you feel about ice cream.”

 

Yunho huffed. “Well, let's get out of here. We have a little bit of traveling to do.”

 

“I'll be 'tagging along' to the location,” Changmin informed Jaejoong. “But I'll be doing my own thing, so don't worry about me.”

 

“I wasn't,” Jaejoong said honestly. He was more concerned about the number of people trying to surreptitiously follow them out of the parlor. “It's far enough to where they won't be able to follow us all the way there, isn't it?”

 

“Don't worry about that,” Yunho said lightly. “We'll lose most of them on the way, and those we don't might find our destination a little bit on the expensive side. We're going to a ski resort.”

 

“We are?” Jaejoong asked, perking up. “You brought all my stuff?”

 

“It's in the back. How in practice are you, by the way?”

 

“Miserably. But I'll try not to be sent home in a stretcher.”

 

“Good, because then we'll definitely make the news.” Yunho waved at their fans as he pulled out. “I know this isn't exactly intimate...”

 

“No, it's perfect. You know I love doing things when it's cold out. Besides, this will make up for you missing our MT.”

 

“You mean the one before we debuted? You're still mad about that?”

 

“Not mad. It's just that I missed out on my chances to do fun winter couple-y stuff with you back then.”

 

“Well, thank god,” Changmin said drily. “The rest of us would have had to put up with it, if you'd done that.”

 

“And now just you do!”

 

“As I said, I'll be doing my own thing. You can go down the slopes as pairs, and I'll be flying on ahead of you.”

 

True to his word, Changmin ran off as soon as they'd made the long trip to the resort. Just as Yunho had said, no one had been able to follow them the whole way, but they still quickly put on all their gear to disguise their faces before taking the lift up.

 

“I never get sick of this kind of view,” Jaejoong sighed, leaning into Yunho's shoulder. “All that pure white, deliciously freezing snow.”

 

“I like it, too,” Yunho said. “I wonder what it is about it...”

 

“I don't know. I think for me it's how it makes you feel. All your senses are sharp when it's cold out, so you can focus on what you're doing and staying safe and on your feet. The heat has a way of making you lose your senses. As I know all too well. Also...” He took a deep breath, watching it materialize in a cloud in front of him. “This is what we were born into, us winter babies. It just feels like home.”

 

“Not that there aren't downsides to the layers,” Yunho said, taking Jaejoong's gloved hand. “I'll just have to wait for the warm fire inside for that part.”

 

“Be prepared to wait awhile, then.”

 

Jaejoong spent hours with him on the slopes, in perfect bliss. He fell down several times while skiing, but Yunho was always there to laugh at him and pick him up, which Jaejoong returned the favor on whenever Yunho himself wiped out. When their legs got too sore, they rented out tubes to go down the hill on, racing each other and attempting to sabotage the other's path. Best of all, not a single person stopped them. No one asked them who they were or asked for a photo or autograph or questioned whether or not they were there as friends or lovers. They could simply exist, without interruption. It had been forever since Jaejoong had been able to feel that way out in the open, and he treasured it deeply, more than anything else.

 

Before going to the lodge, Jaejoong made Yunho build a snowman with him. “Just because,” he said. “Especially since the one we made at the MT was without you.”

 

They were thoroughly freezing by time they finally collapsed down in front of the fire, but luckily Yunho had the foresight to reserve one of the lounges for a private party so they could safely take off their gear without fearing exposure. Jaejoong immediately set to work making their hot chocolate to help them thaw out before the drive back.

 

“Did you have a good time?” Yunho asked.

 

“The best. Thank you for taking me out. It was kind of selfish of me to ask, I know, but this was so much fun.”

 

“How was it selfish?”

 

“Because I could easily have contented myself just spending time with you at our apartment.”

 

“Mmm. You did all that cooped up stuff when you were younger. The Jaejoongie I fell in love with was one who was desperate to figure out how to become free. So why shouldn't I help set you free from a thing or two from time to time? It makes me happy, just as much as you.” He took the hot chocolate Jaejoong offered and gestured for him to sit down next to him. “You know me, I don't like keeping secrets. But days like today, I'm more than happy to keep to myself. Sometimes I like being the only eyes to see you.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Yeah.” He Jaejoong's cold cheek. “So let's keep on doing things like this, even if there's a risk, okay? I'll look out for you.”

 

“Your hands are cold, Yunho.”

 

“I thought you liked cold things?”

 

“I do,” Jaejoong whispered. “Are your lips cold right now, too?”

 

0o0

 

Jaejoong groaned as soon as he logged online the next morning. “Fans Spot Park Soorin Formally Introducing Kim Jaejoong To Her Mother.” Formally? FORMALLY? In a supermarket? Do they think we discussed marriage in aisle 3?

 

Still, he was so used to it happening that it hardly phased him anymore. Even Yunho didn't get bothered by it like he used to, and the Yunjae fans looked upon Soorin as a smokescreen for the couple, a necessary part of keeping their relationship safe.

 

But to be safe, he checked the Yunjae fanpages to make sure there wasn't any bashing of Soorin going on, since reading anything against her still riled him up. Instead, what greeted him was an entirely different argument based on an article from another site: “Yunho and Changmin Spotted on Romantic Ice Cream Date.”

 

Jaejoong stared at that one for a minute. He'd never heard of the site it had originated from before, but the word “Homin” on the link clued him into what it was pretty quickly. Apparently one of the fans at the ice cream parlor had made quick work of posting their outing online, complete with pictures of Yunho buying the Brownie Bowl for Changmin and at one point wiping the chocolate syrup from his chin. Jaejoong snorted. Well, our date did manage to go completely under the radar. But Changmin as Yunho's smokescreen? That's a switch.

 

He printed out the article and scribbled the note You cheater, you owe me! on the top, and left it on the bed for Yunho to see when he woke up. He didn't know when they'd next be able to go out, but he liked having the promise of it in his future, as selfish as it sometimes was.

 

 

 

 

Our date, a love date
When we do it once, I want to do it again
Today is a beautiful day
Let’s share love every night
Day or night,
Without anyone knowing
Today is a beautiful day