Chapter Two

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a good few hours, the bell for recess finally rang. The students sighed in relief as their Biology teacher closed the book and looked at them. “Okay, we’re done for the day. See you all on Wednesday.” The students bowed and he left the classroom.

Hayi tapped his shoulder and asked. “Do you want to eat together?”

Hanbin looked surprised by her invitation and closed his book.  “I don’t reject a pretty girl.” Hayi rolled her eyes and he smirked. “Come on, I’ll show you around the school too.”

When they arrived at the canteen and joined the food queue, the male student ahead of them abruptly gave up his turn and bolted.

Hayi was surprised by his departure and chortled. “Is it me or you had just intimidated him?”

“No idea.” Hanbin shrugged his shoulders and moved down the line. Hayi furrowed her brows in silence.

“So, where have you been the last few years?” Hanbin asked, breaking the silence.

Hayi shook away her thoughts and focused her attention back at him. “Busan, my father transferred there for work.” She replied.

Hanbin nodded and wondered if he could ask further. After all, they were not very close last time. Instead, he pointed at the kimbap. “You want some?”

“No thank you.” Hayi replied and he took some to his plate. They walked up to an empty table with their trays of food.

Hayi had just started on her rice when a voice drawled. “Kim Hanbin… I see the reason why you didn’t wait for us. You’re getting chummy with the new girl.”

“And I thought it’s my duty to introduce the school to newcomer.” Someone snorted.

Hayi looked back and saw three boys standing around their table. “Yah!” Hanbin made a gagging face when one of them swung his arm around his neck. “Get off me!”

Chuckling, the boy stepped back and rebalanced the tray that he was holding. “Hi, may we join you?” He spoke.

“You’re my classmate, why not?” Hayi beamed.

“Ooh, I like her.” The other boy commented.

Hanbin gawked at her as his friends happily filled up the empty seats. 

“How is your first day of school, teddy bear?” Bobby asked suddenly.

“Teddy bear?” Hayi muttered, looking slightly taken aback.

“Hey, she has a name. And, shouldn’t you all introduce yourself first?” Hanbin chided.

Bobby gave an apologetic look. “How rude of me, sorry, let me do the introduction. My Korean name is Jiwon but I prefer people to call me Bobby.” He nudged the person beside him. He had stopped eating and waved. “He’s our old trusty class president, Jinhwan and that’s goody boy Yunhyeong.”

The boy rolled his eyes at his friend’s lame introduction. “Yeah… And I’m goody boy Yunhyeong.” He uttered.

“I’m the old and trusty class president.” Jinhwan said.

“So how was your day, Hayi?” Bobby asked again.

Hayi chewed her remaining food quickly and replied him. “The lessons were interesting. Teachers were nice and caring.”

Hanbin snickered along with his friends at her standard reply.

“What?” Hayi threw him a look. 

“It’s your first day of school and Hanbin was showing you around? How lucky of you. He’s hardly nice to girls.” Yunhyeong remarked. “Are you interested in her, Hanbin?” he raised his eyebrow.

Hanbin choked on his food while Hayi shot the boy an incredulous look.

“No way!” Bobby gasped.

“Why such a big reaction?” Jinhwan teased and passed Hanbin a cup of water. He took and gulped down the drink. It took him a while to calm down.

Hayi laughed tersely at the unexpected turn of events.

“Really? You like teddy bear?” Bobby bounced up in his seat.

“Gotcha!” Yunhyeong pumped his fist excitedly.

“Shut up.” Hanbin muttered.

“We used to be classmates in middle school.” Hayi revealed finally.

Bobby scratched his head. “Really? You studied in the same school? What a small world!” He acted dramatically.

Hanbin deadpanned.

“How was Hanbin like back then?” Yunhyeong asked.

Hayi frowned, stealing a few glances at Hayi.

“A lot nerdy. He used to wear with his shirt tucked all the way in and these awful looking spectacles. Oh-”

Hanbin tugged her sleeve and shot her a look. “Hey… Enough… I didn’t know you are so talkative.”

Hayi gave an apologetic smile while the boys howled in laughter.

“Ignore him, Hayi.” Jinhwan smirked.

“We want to hear more of his embarrassing stories.” Bobby guffawed.

“Hyung! Hanbin hyung!” A frantic voice called.

The boys whirled around and saw their youngest friend running through the canteen doors. Hayi recognized him. He was late like them in the morning.

The boy skidded to their table, panting. Hanbin shot him a bizarre look.

“What’s it, Chanwoo?”

“They’re fighting…” he puffed. Bobby sat straight. His expression grew serious.

“Fight?”

“Who are fighting?” Hanbin demanded.

Chanwoo shot him a glance. “Junhoe and Donghyuk…” he stuttered.  

Jinhwan’s jaw fell. “Donghyuk?”

Hayi had no idea who Junhoe and Donghyuk are, but they sound important to Hanbin as his expression changed.

“Where are they now? Bring us!” Bobby jumped off his chair and raced out of the room with Chanwoo.

Jinhwan nudged the distracted Yunhyeong, who pushed his curry rice away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter