Chapter One

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Hayi rolled inside her blankets without waking up. She wrapped her arms around the teddy bear plushie and slept on. Moving house, unpacking and arranging items had worn her. When she finally pried her eyes open and reached for the clock to read the time, it was already ten past seven.

“Oh no!” Hayi shot up in bed and dropped the blanket on the floor. She grabbed the school uniform from the chair and dashed into her attached bathroom. “How could I forget to set the alarm?” She rambled. She brushed teeth and splashed water to her face.

In less than five minutes, Hayi had changed into her new uniform, ready for school. She checked herself in the mirror while snatching a hairband from her dressing table.

The family’s housekeeper was washing dishes in the kitchen and her father was finishing his coffee in the dining room. He lowered his newspapers when Hayi came down the stairs.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

“Today’s my first day of school.” Hayi replied.  

“Today’s Monday?” His voice trailed off as he mentally counted the dates.

“Yes, appa.” Hayi groaned.

“Halmoni?” The elderly housekeeper came out of the kitchen holding a wet cloth in her hands.

“What is it, Hayi’s appa?”

“Could you prepare breakfast for Hayi?” He asked.

The old lady glanced at Hayi, who was soothing down her attire. “What would you like for breakfast?”

Hayi shook her head. “Never mind, Halmoni. I’m already running late.”

“No, no.  Make her some egg sandwich please.” Her father interrupted.

The housekeeper nodded and went back to the kitchen.

“Hey Lee Hayi.” He called his daughter’s name sharply and followed her out to the patio. “You haven’t had your breakfast. Go back and sit down.” 

Hayi glanced at her watch and decided to go off first.

“I will drive you so would you please have your breakfast at home? Is breakfast ready, Halmoni?” Her father called out.

“Appa, I know my way to school.” She mumbled as she tied her shoelaces.

“No, I’m still cooking.” The housekeeper yelled back.

Hayi gave her father a frustrated look. “I’m really running late, appa.”

“Fine, make sure you eat in school.” Her father reminded. Hayi stuck out her tongue. “I’m seventeen this year. I’m a big girl.” She said and turned away.

“So? You’re still my baby girl. Wait a minute.” Her father stopped her quickly. “What socks do you intend to wear?” he snickered. Hayi peered down and realized that her socks were mismatched; Tigger was on her left foot and Winnie-the-pooh was on her right foot. “Goodness!” She jumped and ran back to her room.

Her father was sharing the joke with their housekeeper in the dining room when Hayi came back down with both Winnie-the-pooh socks on her feet. “Silly girl.” The elderly lady chuckled. “Here’s your breakfast.”

“Halmoni! That’s huge!” Hayi cried in horror when she saw the big sandwich that the housekeeper had prepared.

“You sure you don’t want me to send you to school?” Her father asked again.

“No!” Hayi retorted.

Her father pouted and Hayi softened at once. Despite his old age, he still acts adorable all the time. “I really need to go now. See you later.” Laughing, she hugged him and pushed him gently through the door. 

“All right, have fun in school.” He gave his daughter one last look before disappearing into the house.

 

++++++++++

 

Twenty minutes later, Hayi alighted from the bus, only to find that she was at the wrong bus stop. She looked around. The surroundings looked unfamiliar. “Damn.” She cursed quietly and quickly searched for a street sign. She did not see the loose tile on the ground and stepped on it, causing her to lurch forward. 

“AHHH!” She unthinkingly squeezed her eyes and waited for the impact but it didn’t come.

“Eh…”

Hayi slowly opened her eyes and saw a handsome young male staring down at her. She blinked. Apparently he appeared and grabbed her by her waist before she tumbles down the flight of stairs. He snapped his fingers. Flustered, she made him release his hands.

“Thank you…” Hayi said as she steadied herself.

“You are welcome…” He mumbled and flexed his arms.

Hayi suddenly felt offended by his reaction. Am I that heavy? She sulked. 

The boy took a closer look of her. “Lee Hayi?”

She heard her name and glanced up in surprise. “How did you know my name?”

“Don’t you remember me? I’m Hanbin, we used to be classmates.” 

Hayi frowned, trying to recall anything but nothing comes up. He caught her reaction and sighed. “I used to sit in front of you.”

Her eyes flickered as she studied his features. Hanbin caught that glint and smirked, making his sharp jawline and crescent eyes more obvious. She slowly remembered someone, who shared that same detestable smug look.

“Oh! Baboon!” Hayi gasped.

Hanbin did not expect her to call him by that nickname. “Yea… that’s me, your middle school classmate.” He muttered and ran his hand through his fringe coolly.

Wow, it’s really him. He grew up to a fine young man. Her eyes twinkled.

Back then, he was shorter and scrawnier. He wore a pair of thick glasses that made him look like a grumpy old man. As a result, he often got teased and bullied by their classmates.

“Hayi?” His deep voice snapped her out of her reverie.

“What happened to your ugly glasses?” Hayi made two circles with her fingers and put to her eyes.

Hanbin rolled his eyes. “I had Lasik last year.”

“Oh.” Hayi gave an apologetic laugh, feeling stupid for asking the questions. He noticed the school uniform that she was wearing.

“You study at Hansung?”

Hayi looked down at her uniform and realized that Hanbin was wearing the same navy uniform as her. “Uh yes… You too?”

Hanbin nodded in reply. “But why were you going in that direction?” He asked, looking baffled.

“I got lost.” Hayi confessed.

“Lost?” Hanbin snorted, shaking his head. “It’s your first day of school?” he guessed.

Before Hayi could reply, Hanbin cut in after stealing a glance at his watch. “Come on, we need to go now. We’ll talk later.” He grabbed her wrist and pulled her into a quick jog.

Hayi glanced at his toned arm as Hanbin steered her through the morning crowd and the busy road traffic. They crossed the road and finally reached Hansung High School. Hayi was about to walk through the main gate when he pulled her back. “Are you crazy? Did he see us?” He hissed.

“What? I don’t think so.” Hayi replied. She got s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter