Chapter Twenty-one

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hayi woke up to find herself blindfolded and bounded. She struggled to remove the knots from her hands and legs. She heard muffled voices in the background and held her breath.

“Have you contacted Boss?”

“Yeah. He’s already on his way.”

“Then he should be pleased to know that we got the girl.”

“Obviously.”

Her heart pounded as she tried to make sense of their conversation.

“Sheesh… She’s awake.”

Someone came over and removed her blindfold. Bright light shone directly into her face and she squinted.

“Rise and shine, sweetheart.”

Two masked men were staring down at her. Startled, she moved away from them while surveying her surroundings. She was held captive in what seems to be a warehouse.

“Our guest can’t talk, dumb.” The man with Guy Fawkes mask slapped his counterpart’s arm and uttered.  

Hayi winced at the pain as the other man peeled the duct tape from . “Who are you? What do you want?”

The masked man pointed at themselves and let out a haughty laugh. “We’re just nobody who got instructions to kidnap you.”

Hayi swallowed her fear and hurled something spiteful. “Nobody? If you’re nobody, remove your masks.”

“Girl has no idea what she is in.” The man sneered.

“Hyung, wait! What if she recognizes you later?” The other man protested.  

 “Who cares? It’s not like she going to live for long.”

Her eyes flashed in terror at his words.

And then he took off his mask.

Hayi turned her face away from him. The man appeared to be in his late thirties and bore a sinister looking face.

“Aw, why do you look so afraid now? Do I look scary?” He cupped her chin forcefully.

Hayi could smell his cigarette breath. “Don’t touch me!” she snapped.  

His face darkened. “Someone got feisty, huh? I hate people who talk back to me.” With that, he slapped Hayi multiple times across her face.

“Don’t you ever tell me what to do!”

Hayi winced and endured the pain that she felt on her cheeks, and fought back the feeling to cry.

The masked man rushed between them and pulled him away. “Stop it! We aren’t supposed to touch her!”

The man shoved him away and stood on his feet. “Too bad, Boss didn’t specifically told me that and I’m never a gentleman to begin.” He snorted.

“Listen! Before Boss comes, she’s under your care.” The man went out of the room after spitting on the ground.

“Are you okay?” The masked man asked as he sat Hayi up against the wall.

Hayi nodded shakily. She had never received such abuse before in her life, furthermore from a stranger. “I’m fine…” She wheezed.

“Don’t worry, he’s gone for now.” He said.

Hayi tilted her head high enough not to let tears roll down her face.

“Are you alright?” He stuffed a hanky into her hand.

Hayi was grateful to his kind gesture.

“Thank you, eh…” She didn’t know his name.

++++++++++

Hyunjoo burst into the room as he stepped out of his bathroom, gaping at his ex-wife.

“Have you seen Hayi? She went missing.” Hyunjoo asked in a shaken tone.

“Missing?” Sukhoon blinked. “Isn’t she home?”

“I’d checked her room. Her bed was untouched.” She replied.

“Have you tried calling her?” Sukhoon glanced at Hyunjoo.

“I did… But none of my calls got through.” Hyunjoo replied.

“Same.” The housekeeper concurred.   

Sukhoon picked up his house phone and dialled his daughter’s handphone number. After many rings, the call was directed to the same voicemail. 

“Did she pick up?” Hyunjoo asked anxiously.

Sukhoon shook his head. “That’s strange. She usually picks up.”

“I told you! They got her!” She remarked.

The housekeeper stared at the couple. “Who are you talking about? Who got her?”

“No one.” Sukhoon approached her and squeezed Hyunjoo’s arm. “Don’t scare yourself. She probably stayed over at her friends’ house last night.”  

“Which friend? Do you have their contact numbers?” Hyunjoo asked.

S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter