Chapter Nine

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hayi entered the fancy Italian restaurant and looked around the place. A silly grin etched on her face as soon as she discovered the man. “It’s okay.” She told the waiter and approached her father sitting and going through the menu in a corner.

“Appa!” She tried to scare him from the back.

Her father cracked a smile and squeezed her arm. “Silly girl, you acted like you haven’t seen me for weeks.”

Hayi grinned as she let go of her father and sat opposite him. “Well I didn’t see you this morning.” She pouted.

“What took you so long? I’ve waited for you at least half an hour.” He complained.

“I got held up just now.” She explained.

“With shopping?” Her father kidded as he ogled the shopping bag that she was holding.

Hayi chuckled softly as she went through the menu. “I got held up on the way here. Hmm…” She was debating between having risotto and pasta. Finally she made up her mind and motioned for the waiter to come over when her father interrupted.

“Sorry, we’ll order later.”

The waiter nodded and left.

Hayi cast a puzzled look at her father. “Are we expecting someone?”

Her father gave a small smile; his daughter is shrewd. “Girl…” He started.

Hayi glanced up in surprise. He hardly calls her "girl" unless he has something important to announce. "What is it?"

"Your mother's joining us tonight." Her father said quietly.

Hayi blinked in surprise. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Will you have come if you know?" Her father countered.

“No.” Hayi sulked.

Her father sighed. "She knows that we're back and she wants to see you."

Hayi’s frown deepened. “Why? She was the one, who asked for a divorce.”

Her father looked distraught. “Sweetheart, our divorce was a mutual agreement. Besides no matter what happened, she’s still your mother.”

Hayi opened and closed . She remembered that evening when her parents announced the news.

"Your mother’s here. Don't be rude.” Her father said and got up from his seat to welcome the guest. Hayi followed his gaze to the woman approaching their table with an unfriendly expression. At forty-three, her mother still maintained her beautiful, sharp features and slim figure.

“Hyunjoo, long time no see.”  Her father grinned.

"Hey, Sukhoon. Sorry I’m late. I went to get something."

Hayi eyed her father grudgingly as he pulled out the chair for her mother. He was overly affectionate and forgiving to his ex-wife, who chose her career as a prosecutor over her family and marriage.

"Thank you." Her mother smiled sweetly at her former husband and glanced at the teenager. “How are you, Hayi?”

Hayi bit her lower lip and looked away, so many thoughts were running through her mind. Her mother took out a paper bag. “I bought you a present.”

Hayi snorted.

“Girl,” her father hissed.

With a sigh, Hayi took the present and put it away. “Thanks.” She mumbled.

“I hope you like it.”

Her father broke the awkward silence. “You still remember the way to this place?” He asked. 

“Of course, we used to come here.” Her mother said.

Hayi stiffened at her reply. “You mean that one and only time you showed up.” She retorted. In the past, her mother was always caught up with catching criminals that she often missed their family meals.

Her father sent her a warning look and she closed wistfully.

“It’s alright.” Her mother chuckled awkwardly. The waiter came to fill up her glass with drinking water and took down their order at the same time.

Her father flipped through the dessert menu. “Shall we have Crème Brulee for dessert?” He winked at the ladies. Her mother nodded obligingly while Hayi kept her face poker.

“Make it two please.” He told the waiter.

Hayi puckered her lips. Even if he dishes out all her favourite food in the world, she is still annoyed at the fact that he prearranged a meeting with her mother without telling her.

The waiter reconfirmed their orders and collected the menu from them.

“So where do you all live now?”

“We found a house in our old neighbourhood and I hired Hayi’s old babysitter to help out with our housework.”

“Ahjumma hasn’t retired?” Her mother raised her eyebrows.

Her father nodded. “Yeah, she will drop by to fix us meals.”

Hayi was relieved when the waiter arrived with their appetizers and interrupted their conversation. She did not want her father to reveal much of their personal lives.

“How is your new workplace?” Her mother asked as she placed the napkin on her lap.

“I’m the head of surgical department now so I’m dealing with a lot more patients. My colleagues are nice and friendly. How about you? Are you still busy chasing criminals?” Her father kidded.

Hayi ate her soup in silence as the adults chattered about their work. She had no interest to partake in their chat.

Her mother paused. “I quitted my job. I’m taking a break from everything.”

“That’s good. You’ve been working too hard the last ten years, you deserve a rest.”

“Yeah.”

Hayi jerked her head in surprise. After dedicating most of her life to putting criminals behind bars, she is taking a break now?

“I was thinking… Maybe we could spend more time together now that you all are back?” Her mother suggested.

Her father looked surprised.

“You finally realized what you’re missing in life?” Hayi said snidely. 

Her father glared at her. “Don’t speak to your mother like that.”

Her mother looked sha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter