Chapter Seven

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was finally Friday.

Hayi finished breakfast early and made her way to the bus stop. After waiting for some time, she checked her watch with puckered brows. Why is he taking so long?

She sent another text to Hanbin. ‘Where are you? The bus is coming!’

An immediate reply came from him. ‘On my way!’

Hayi saw the bus approaching and stood up reflexively. While the other passengers queued to go up the bus, she remained at the same spot, contemplating whether to wait for Hanbin. The blank phone screen meant there was no further message notification.

Hayi checked her watch again. The next bus will only arrive fifteen minutes later, which means they may be late by the time they reach school. She dreaded the thought of facing Cannonball and the punishment for latecomers.

“If only I know where he lives,” Hayi muttered, secretly enjoying the idea of barging Hanbin’s house and imagining his face as she dragged him out of his bed.

“Are you coming or not?” The driver asked after the last person boarded the bus.

“Uh, no.” Hayi apologized. She could not just abandon him. Silently in her mind, she cursed the tardy boy she watched the doors closed before her.

The bus was about to move off when someone patted her shoulder and raced past her.

Hayi blinked. “Hanbin?”

The boy ran forward and pounded the doors. “Stop! Stop!” he demanded.

The doors snapped open and the driver glared angrily at him. “Do you know what you did was dangerous?” He chided.

“Sorry, ahjussi!” Hanbin said sheepishly and pulled the girl up the bus.

The driver gave them another disapproving look and closed the doors behind them. Hayi said sorry and tapped her bus card against the machine. The bus was packed with students and office workers; every seat was occupied. Hayi walked over to the rear door where Hanbin was standing.

He gave a wide yawn and Hayi instinctively covered his mouth with her hand. “What time did you sleep?” She asked dryly.

“Two?” Hanbin confessed with bleary eyes.

Hayi narrowed her eyes. “What were you doing so late?” 

“Doing something,” Hanbin answered and smoothed down his tousled hair.

“Tch. You’re probably playing your games.” Hayi scoffed.

Hanbin gave a sheepish grin and shrugged his shoulders. “I did tell you to go without me. Hmm…” He rubbed the corner of his eyes and tilted his head gingerly to her side. “Wake me up when we reach please.”

Hayi gawked and prodded him. “You can’t nap like this! You’ll fall!”

Hanbin reacted to the first nudge then nodded his head drowsily. “Just for a while…” he murmured.

“Yah, Hanbin!”

The bus came to a sudden stop at the traffic line and everyone lurched forward, including the sleeping boy. Hanbin snapped his eyes open as he jolted awake.  Alarmed, Hayi grabbed his hand in time before he falls.

“Gosh! Thank you!” Hanbin exclaimed.

Hayi sent him a death stare. “I told you not to sleep while standing!” She reproached.

“Yea…” Hanbin slumped his shoulders with a tired expression.

An elderly man behind them tapped his shoulder and Hanbin looked back. “Do you want the seat, young man?” He offered.

“Uh no, sir.” Hanbin said quickly. “I’m fine.”

“No, he’s alright.” Hayi smiled back at the man’s kind gesture.

Hanbin stared out of the window and clutched the bus handle tightly. "So what happened during the discussion?" He asked.

Hayi made a glum face. "We're going to the cemetery after school."

"Overpowered?" Hanbin chuckled.

Hayi grumbled, "It's your fault that you weren't here. In the end, Bobby and I had to draw lots.”

Hanbin grinned and raised his eyebrows questioningly.

“I lost,” Hayi sighed.

"That's too bad. Do you want us to work together instead?" He suggested brightly.

Hayi jabbed his stomach in protest. "You want Bobby to come after me next? How evil." She hissed.

The boy chuckled loudly.

They dropped off at the bus stop with other students and walked to the school, Hayi heard a bell chime behind her. She glanced back to see Yunhyeong riding his bicycle with Chanwoo behind.

“Yuhoo noona!” He raised his hand and gave a triumphant ‘V’ sign.

Hayi broke into a wide smile. “Chanwoo!”

Yunhyeong got off the bike after the boy. “Hello!” He did a double take when he saw Hanbin and clapped his shoulder. “Who’s this? Kim Hanbin’s on the dot for once?”

Hanbin rolled his eyes and marched ahead of the group.

“Wait up, hyung!” Chanwoo called after him.

“I had to keep calling him on his phone the whole morning.” Hayi griped.

At the same time, Bobby arrived and signalled to the group to keep quiet as he sneaked up on his best friend. 

“Hanbinie!” He squealed and wrapped his arms around Hanbin.

Hanbin made an insufferable groan. “Yah Kimbap! Get off me!” He bellowed and shook him off aggressively.

Smirking, Bobby unhanded him and showed off his usual goofy grin.

“Never do that again!” Hanbin warned.

Bobby ignored his words and high-fived with Chanwoo, who caught up with them. “Yoyo! Teddy! Good morning!” He grinned widely at Hayi and Yunhyeong.

“Speak of the bunny.” Yunhyeong whispered to her.

Hayi concurred with a smile. “He really looks like one.”

“Why are you so happy today?” Hanbin threw him an irritable look.

“Maybe cause weekend’s coming?” Bobby grinned smugly and waved at someone afar. “Good morning, Mr Kwon! We’re on time today.”

Cannonball eyed them acridly as they passed the main gate. “Good morning,” He said stiffly.

“Good morning.” Hayi bowed respectfully to the man strode out of the main gate.

He acknowledged her greeting with a brief nod.

“He doesn’t seem happy.” Chanwoo whispered. 

“That’s for sure, we’re his best mischief makers and he’s going to miss punishing us.” Bobby sneered.

They could hear Cannonball barking at other students, who were taking their own sweet time to reach school. “Taemin, get ready to lock up the gates!” He pointed at one of the prefects on duty.

“Yes sir!” A lanky student answered.

Bobby complained. “It’s not even quarter to eight!”

“I wish they aren’t so robotic at times.” Yunhyeong shook his head.

“Whoa, just in time!” The older males turned their heads and saw their friend panting behind. “Jinhyeong!” Yunhyeong greeted.

“Morning, hyung.” Jinhyeong replied sheepishly.

Hayi stared at the boy; she had not seen him before.

“Oh Hayi, this is Jinhyeong.” Yunhyeong introduced.

“Are you the one with a broken tooth?” Hayi asked openly.

“Huh?” Jinhyeong looked slightly taken aback.

“Jinhwan exaggerated. His tooth didn’t break, it only chipped off a little.” Bobby explained.

“Oh, yeah.” Jinhyeong clapped the back of his head and flashed an embarrassed smile. “Excuse me please,” he bowed and walked up to Hanbin.

Hayi was rather taken aback by his unfriendliness.

“Don’t take it to heart. That’s just Jinhyeong, shy and quiet, especially in front of girls.” Yunhyeong explained.

“I see…” Hayi nodded stiffly.

“Hyung, are you feeling better now?” Jinhyeong elbowed Hanbin.

He glanced sideways and replied, “Yep. You?”

“The tooth’s still there.” Jinhyeong beamed. 

Bobby suddenly stopped and pointed ahead. “Hoho, Kim Donghyuk!” 

The boy stopped talking to his female classmate. Hayi saw him sneakily stuff something into his pocket on the way to meet them. “Morning hyung! Noona.” He smiled.

 “Who is that?” Yunhyeong asked.

Chanwoo squinted. “Isn’t that Eunjin from Class 1-1?”

“Did she confess to you?” Jinhyeong jested.

“Wow!” Bobby exclaimed.

Donghyuk shot Jinhyeong an annoyed look. “It’s not, you are mistaken.”

“I’m quite sure it’s her...” Chanwoo added.

Donghyuk raised his hand wanting to silence him.

"Hey! No violence in school!" A teacher passed by and hollered.

"I didn't!" Donghyuk denied.

Hayi laughed while watched Chanwoo being manhandled by Donghyuk.

“Noona…” he whimpered.

"Enough the two of you!" Hanbin came forward and separated the two boys.

The bell for the first lesson rang and Bobby grew crestfallen.

“Why does happy times always end so fast?” He whined.

“Because you were too engrossed to realize the time passed quickly,” Hanbin said dryly.

The seniors parted ways with the younger friends and made their way to the highest floor. The classroom was filled with buzzing and chattering as usual when they entered. The boys headed to their seats at once while Jinhwan called up Hayi to the front.  

"Is that a duty roster?"

The class president stepped away from the noticeboard. "Yep, I’ve updated it to include your name." He replied.

Hayi scanned down the list for her name quickl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter