Chapter Twenty-two

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thankfully there was a car parked across the street with a camera .” Yoona said as she opened the CCTV recording file. “See these two men here? They alighted from their car the minute they saw the girl arrived in the taxi.”

Hyunjoo grimaced as she watched the scene when one of the men grabbed Hayi from the back and covered her face with a handkerchief. Through the video, she could watch Hayi was shocked by the attack and struggled to break free from her assailant. However, she eventually passed out and got carried into the vehicle.

“We had asked around the neighbourhood. There is no eyewitness to the kidnapping.” Doojoon confirmed.

Kijoon placed a hand on his chin thoughtfully. “Can you replay the beginning, Yoona?”

“Yes sir.” She obeyed and moved her cursor to the play button.

“There is someone else in the car.” He remarked, pointing at a spot on the monitor screen.

“You’re right, boss." Yoona marvelled by his observation.

Kijoon scrunched his face and he studied the computer monitor. “Stop here. Zoom in the video.”

The front window at the passenger seat was wound down halfway and someone threw a cigarette out of the moving vehicle.

“I didn’t see this earlier.” Yoona frowned.

“There has to be another suspect!” Doojoon snapped his fingers as he aggressively sat up in his chair.  

Kijoon nodded.

“Is that a tattoo?” Yoona muttered and pointed on the screen.

“Can you focus on the arm and tattoo?” Hyunjoo requested.

Yoona clicked on her cursor and studied the zoomed image.  

Hyunjoo narrowed her eyes. She can’t help but find the tribal butterfly tattoo on the person’s arm looked awfully familiar. She turned her head towards Kijoon, who also shared the same puzzled expression as her. “Have you seen this somewhere?”

Kijoon nodded his head slightly. “It looks familiar.”  

Hyunjoo suddenly gasped as a terrible realisation struck her. “Mun Junghyuk, it’s him.” He pointed at the tattoo.

Kijoon frowned.

“Mun Junghyuk!” The kidnapper was one of the many criminals whom Hyunjoo put away as she just became a prosecutor.  

Kijoon shot her a anxious look. He remembered Mun Junghyuk and his distinctive tattoo. In fact, that tattoo was the reason why Hyunjoo and him could capture the man and pin him for committing an arson ten years ago.

“No, it can’t be him. He’s supposed to be in the prison.” Hyunjoo uttered.  

Kijoon signalled his tech guy Doojoon.“Pull out every record you have on this person.”

“Yes boss!” The young man returned to his seat and started searching the police department’s database.  

“Mun Junghyuk, age 39. He was convicted ten years ago for an arson that took away two lives. He was recently acquitted for his good behaviour in the prison.”

Hyunjoo balked as she digested the latest information. “Why wasn’t I informed of his acquittal?” She rebuked.

“He was granted clemency by the President and released from prison last month, Prosecutor.” Doojoon scanned through the report and read from the computer screen.  

Kijoon stated brusquely. “Does Mun have an address?”

“Yes, let me write it down.” Doojoon scribbled the address on a piece of paper.

Kijoon took the slip of paper and read the address. “Listen, I want every information on this guy. Where he works, who have he contacted.” He told his subordinates.

“Right on it!” Yoona said with zeal, happy that there is a breakthrough in the investigation.

Kijoon took his jacket from the chair. “Thanks, I will go check out this place.”

“I’ll go with you.” Hyunjoo snapped and followed him out of the house.

++++++++++

Bobby turned his back and hollered. “Hey guys, we’re going to the other side.” He beckoned Donghyun to join him.

Yunhyeong gestured a nod.

“Why are they here?” Hanbin hissed as he saw Danah and Mino enter a convenience store across the street.  

Yunhyeong looked back and rolled his eyes. “What’s wrong? They are helping us to find Hayi.”

“It’s all because of them that Hayi’s gone missing now.” Hanbin said under his breath. “Hi, have you seen this girl before? She is this tall and has shoulder-length hair.”

“I don’t know.” The passer-by apologized and walked away.

Hanbin clenched his flyer and sighed. “Thank you.”

“Yunhyeong-sshi, we found something!”

They turned and saw Danah waving at them.  

Hanbin dropped some of his missing flyers and ran across the street to the convenience store.  

“What is it?” He asked anxiously.

Danah shot him a quick glance. “Go, someone seems to know something. My brother’s speaking to the storekeeper now.”

Hanbin peered through the glass and saw Mino still talking to a young man.

Danah heaved a sigh of relief and retreated a few steps Hanbin walked into the store and approached them.  

Yunhyeong caught hold of her. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah. Thanks. It’s just his aura…” She smiled weakly.

Yunhyeong chuckled. “He’s like that. You’ll get used to him.”

“I was refilling the drinks last night when two men came for some supplies. I overheard one of them saying about buying food back for someone they just captured.”

“How do you know they captured somebody?” Hanbin interrupted.

He shrugged. “The man was saying, we can’t let her starve even though she is kidnapped.”

Mino shot Hanbin an irritable look. “Do you know where they went?”

The man knitted his brows together and tried to recall. “I think they mentioned something about a warehouse”

“Warehouse?” Mino prompted.

“Near a rundown gym.”

Hanbin frowned at the mention of gym. There are few gyms nearby the neighbourhood but a warehouse? unless… He glanced at Mino, who seemed to be thinking the same thing as him.

“What did the man say?” Yunhyeong asked anxiously when Hanbin and Mino came out of the convenience store.

Danah looked at them with anticipation. “Any luck?”

“They are at a deserted warehouse near the old training grounds, where we used to go.” Mino said.

Yunhyeong perked his head at Hanbin, who confirmed. “It’s that place.”

++++++++++

Hayi stared into the ceiling and wondered how much time had passed since sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter