Day 6: Conquering the Bunny Slopes

The Twelve Days of EXO

Of all the things Chanyeol had been planning on doing the Saturday before Christmas, third-wheeling it with one of his best friends and said best friend's boyfriend at a ski resort had not been one of them.

He really hadn't even wanted to go in the first place. Luhan had been going on and on about how he was so excited for his ski date with Sehun, and Chanyeol had just casually mentioned that he hadn't ever been skiing himself. He hadn't really expected Luhan to react at all, let alone demand that Chanyeol come with them so he could experience skiing and not take no for an answer.

After a while, he finally badgered Chanyeol into agreeing, and so the tall man found himself being pulled along by Luhan the next day towards the ski resort. Chanyeol hadn't been lying when he'd said that he hadn't ever done anything even close to skiing, and even though Luhan was convinced that Chanyeol would be a natural with his long legs, the sight of the steep, snowy slopes made Chanyeol's stomach turn a bit.

"Really, Luhan, I really don't think I should ski with you guys. I have no idea what I'm doing. Wouldn't you rather just spend the day with Sehun?" Chanyeol once again tried to weasel his way out of the situation as they made their way into the resort to get their equipment.

"Nonsense!" Luhan replied, handing Chanyeol a pair of skis that, in the taller's opinion, seemed way too unsteady for anyone to balance on. "You need to experience the fun of skiing. Just trust me, Yeol, it'll be fun."

Chanyeol sighed, reluctantly following Sehun and Luhan out to the slopes. His eyes widened at the sight of the ski lift carrying skiiers up to the top of the gargantuan slopes in front of them, and got even wider when he saw his two friends heading towards the bottom of the ski lift.

"Guys!" Chanyeol called, trying to mask the fear in his voice, "We aren't going all the way up there, are we?"

Sehun turned around, smiling. "Of course we are. It isn't fun unless you're way up high."

Luhan must have seen the terror on Chanyeol's face, for he smiled gently and pointed behind Chanyeol. "You don't have to come up with us. You can go on the bunny slopes since you've never done this before."

Chanyeol turned around, sighing in relief when he saw an expanse of smaller slopes filled with kids and other skiiers that also appeared to have no idea what they were doing.

"Okay." Chanyeol nodded, "You guys go up on the lift, then. I'm going to stay down here on the little slopes."

The other two nodded and headed off towards the ski lift, leaving Chanyeol alone as the tall man faced the bunny slopes.

"Alright." He said to himself, grasping his skis, "This can't possibly be that hard.

 


 

As it turned out, skiing was actually the hardest thing in the world.

Chanyeol had lost count of how many times he'd wiped out on the littlest of the bunny slopes, getting laughed at by kids or other skiiers every time. One particularly bratty kid had even kicked snow at him and told him that if he didn't know how to ski, he should do everyone a favor and just get off the slope.

After once again falling flat on his face in the snow, Chanyeol had finally had enough. He took off his skiis and stood up, brushing the snow off as he started to make his way back to the indoor part of the resort. He would just get some coffee or something in there and wait for Luhan and Sehun to be done.

Before he could reach the doors, however, a hand grasped his elbow and made him stop.

"Hey, are you okay?" A somewhat feminine-sounding voice asked from behind him.

Chanyeol turned around only to be met with the concerned gaze of a much shorter dark-haired man looking up at him. The taller offered a small smile, shrugging.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He said.

"I saw you falling." The man said, holding back a smile, "You didn't look like you were having much fun."

Chanyeol chuckled, scratching the back of his neck. "Yeah. My friends dragged me along and then ditched me for the bigger slopes. I've never been skiing before, so I've kind of been trying to teach myself."

"Oh." The man brightened up a bit, "Well, I'm actually a ski instructor here. I'm not doing formal group lessons today since it's the weekend, but if you'd like, I could give you some pointers. I'd hate to see you just give up and go sit by yourself to wait for your friends. Skiing is really fun if you know how."

Chanyeol paused for a moment, eyeing the man in front of him. He was actually rather cute, with bright eyes and a rather contagious smile, Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to give skiing another shot if he could have this man teach him.

"Okay." Chanyeol finally agreed, extending his hand, "My name's Chanyeol."

The man grinned, taking Chanyeol's hand and shaking it happily. "Nice to meet you. Chanyeol. I'm Baekhyun. Now come on, let's get to teaching!"

Baekhyun spun around and began heading off towards the bunny slopes again. Chanyeol watched him go, following the sway of the other's girlish hips with his gaze as he trailed after Baekhyun.

Okay, so maybe being the third wheel wasn't so bad after all.

 


 

 

The Baekyeol one-shots are complete! I apologize if this seems rushed, because it kind of was >.<

We're halfway through our twelve days!

-MyNameIsCarla