Day 3: Baby Minseok's First Christmas

The Twelve Days of EXO

Kai gently tugged pants up and over Minseok’s bottom, watching as the seven month old gnawed on the corner of his wolf stuffed animal’s ear. Kyungsoo was currently in the kitchen. The couple had promised to bring drinks over to Kyungsoo’s family’s home for the Christmas party, which included bottles of soda, ice tea, lemonade, Kyungsoo’s specialty coffee and, of course, Minseok’s formula. In other words, Kyungsoo was busy so Kai has the duty of taking care of the baby/

Placing a white beanie on Minseok’s head, Kai tried (and failed) to put shoes on his feet. Giggling, he just kept kicking his feet and kept making Kai’s life difficult. “Minnie~” Kyungsoo suddenly called from behind Kai. When did he get there? “Minnie~ Look at the shiny! Look at the shiny!” Minseok’s attention moved from Kai to the mirror in Kyungsoo’s hand. He stopped kicking his feet, instead reaching for the object. Finally, the shoes were on his feet.

He turned to his husband, “Thank you,” Kai smiled, leaning forward to kiss Kyungsoo. “Do you need any help?”

Kyungsoo picked up Minseok. “Just grab the baby bag and the bag with the drinks and we’ll be all good to go!” Kai nodded and went off to do what he was told. “Wait! What about the presents?” Kyungsoo shouted after him.

“In the car!” Kai called back from the kitchen, grabbing both bags, one significantly heavier than the other.

Kyungsoo sighed, heading out the door into the garage so he could strap the baby into his car seat. “Are you ready to go see your grandmas and grandpas and aunties and uncles?”

Minseok blew a bubble at him.

~*~

Arriving at Kyungsoo’s childhood home, the family of three was instantly welcomed by two excited grandmothers and two (of three) squealing aunts. “Minseokie!” they all were cooing, gathering around the seven month old. The five pressed closer and closer. Minseok pressed further and further into his dad’s chest. When they continued, Minseok squirmed…

…and began crying and screaming.

… Kyungsoo went all mother hen…

“Alright, back up. You’re crowding my baby!” Kyungsoo cried moving between Kai and the women. Kai cradled Minseok, bouncing him in a futile attempt to calm the baby boy.

Kai’s sisters back away, one of them going off to complain to her husband about wanting to start a family. Kyungsoo’s mother retreated to the kitchen first, ushering her husband to help the couple with the bags of drinks. Kai’s mother hesitated, shooting a worried look to her son, as if unsure whether or not he could calm Minseok down.

“Shh, shh, you’re okay,” Kai hushed him, rubbing his back while still bouncing him. Minseok slowly quieted, his tears being replaced with hiccupping caused by the screaming. Finally, Kai’s mother retreated to the kitchen as well, reassured that her son was a good father and knowing that she should help finish dinner.

Kai took the opportunity to lay down a blanket for Minseok to crawl on. He pulled out the wolf doll, holding it up to entertain the baby and allow relatives to approach him while he was relaxed to hopefully give them a chance to play with him as well. Kyungsoo returned from the kitchen just in time to see Minseok kicking off his boots and them hitting his brother in the face.

Laughing, Kyungsoo called, “Seungsoo-hyung, I don’t think Minseokie likes you too much!”

“He must take after you then!” he called back childishly. Kyungsoo approached him anyway. “How have you been little brother? Parenthood treating you well?” Oh, that smirk.

Kyungsoo caught his husband’s eye before a smile spread across his heart-shaped lips. “Well the is still good if that’s what you’re asking,” he replied. Kai’s brother-in-law immediately choked on his own spit. His wife immediately burst out laughing. Kai’s father immediately went pale as Seungsoo stared up at his little brother in shock. Kyungsoo had such a -eating grin on his face.

About to swear, he caught himself before saying, “Ewwww~ I didn’t need to know that! I didn’t need that mental image in my head.”

“Oh? Which image, the image of my or Kai’s? Although I don’t know why you wouldn’t like the image of Kai’s , it’s fine as hell,” Kyungsoo continued to smirk. Kai lost it. He burst out laughing.

“Ok, ok, that’s enough,” Kyungsoo’s father tried to calm the situation. It was odd that he didn’t seem all that fazed. Either way, everyone slowly quieted.

Once everyone was silent, Minseok gurgled and burst out giggling, kicking his legs in the air. A chorus of aws and/or laughs followed after, because who can resist an adorable baby being all cute and giggly.

Dinner was soon laid out. Kyungsoo and Kia took turns feeding Minseok. Kai’s sisters took turns cooing and awing. Thankfully, he was a happy, chubby baby whose favorite time of the day was eating time. The families chatted, ate, had fun, and then the real game began.

As per tradition in the Kim family house, after the Christmas dinner, when everyone was fat and full and happy, every member of the family had to take part in the scavenger hunt for the presents. (They’d gotten permission ahead of time from Mrs. Do.) Since most of the Do family didn’t know about the game, they could choose to take part or not. Whosever present you find then you’re allowed to keep.  (Most of the time, they just give them to who they were intended for, but it gave Kai a chance to wrestle with his dad and sisters every year and still get away with it.)

Kai eyed his father, just waiting for him to yell go, as his mother informed the remaining Dos of the tradition. A tense air fell as Seungsoo offered to play as well. Silence crept in as they waited to start. Kyungsoo could only back and for the between his husband and his brother.

“Go!”

Immediately every man around the table sprang up. (Kyungsoo did to protect Minseok. His father did to get up on his chair to avoid having his feet stepped on.) Kai’s sisters bolted a few seconds later, intending to just wrestle for any presents they found as well as find the very obviously hidden ones the boys are sure to overlook. Men sprinted back and forth giving their spouse the presents they found, except for Seungsoo who tried to hold everything (the idiot).

Minseok giggled and clapped his hands as he watched his daddy wrestle with his uncle for a tiny present—probably Minseok’s—and succeed in taking it from him.

Twenty minutes and two black eyes (one to Seungsoo, the other to one of Kai’s sisters, courtesy of the other sister in both cases) later, all presents had been found and the family gathered into the living room to open them. Meanwhile, Minseok was still giggling. He received several new clothes and several new toys, most of which will most likely end up as chew toys.

Minseok soon started to yawn, curling into his dad’s chest. “We should head home to put Minnie to bed. It’s already passed his normal bedtime by several hours,” Kyungsoo reasoned standing up.

“Yeah, we should be going,” Kai agreed standing as well being careful not to jostle the baby boy in his arms. “Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Do for hosting my family today. And thank you everyone for the presents.”

The couple finished their goodbyes, gave everyone hugs and promises to see them again soon, before finally exiting the home. To say they didn’t have fun would be lying. To say Minseok didn’t have fun would also be lying. And they know that some years down the road, Minseok isn’t even going to remember this Christmas, but they’ll never forget their baby’s first Christmas.


Day Three Complete~

Today is my birthday, so this is my present to you. I apologize for the update being so late today but I've been partying up with my family today. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it. Comments always make me (and my coauthor MyNameIsCarla) happy. 

~MidnightMusic96