Day 4: My Heart Is Cold, But Your Hands Are Warm

The Twelve Days of EXO

There were a lot of names for the sadness that plagued Kyungsoo every year when the days turned colder and snow fell in heavy, thick sheets over Pusan. Some called it the winter blues, others called it snow sadness, but no matter what the name, seasonal affective disorder was not something the twenty-three year old enjoyed living with.

Kyungsoo was a generally happy person. Certain individuals liked to refer to him as Satan spawn, but even those people could not deny that he generally had a good attitude about life.

And yet, every time the bright colors of autumn faded away into the dull gray skies of winter, Kyungsoo found himself overcome with a sudden sadness that he hadn't been able to explain to himself even in the ten years since he'd been diagnosed with such a disorder. Snow would fall on the streets, and suddenly the willingness to get out of bed in the morning was gone from Kyungsoo, leaving him a shell of the person he was for the other three seasons of the year.

What made it worse was that everyone was happy this time of year. Carolers went around singing cheery Christmas tunes, shopping malls and streets were lined with festive Christmas lights, and every Christian child eagerly counted down the days until Santa Claus would bring them their presents.

However, no matter how much cheer Kyungsoo tried to absorb from the outside world, he just found himself feeling that same sadness whenever he returned home. It was a struggle for him even to just put normal clothes on in the morning instead of his pajamas

Today was a particularly bad day for Kyungsoo. He'd woken up in the morning only to find that Jongin, his boyfriend of eight months, had left early for work and he was alone in the house. Lonely, Kyungsoo had wrapped a blanket around his shoulders and made his way out to the kitchen. When he got there, though, the thought of food did not appeal to him at all.

So, with a sigh, he'd gone and sat down on the couch. There were many things he could be doing, such as cleaning or planning what he was going to get his family as gifts for Christmas, but all he could bring himself to do was curl up on the couch and stare at the wall.

He didn't know how long he lay there, doing nothing but staring off at nothing. Time never really registered for Kyungsoo when he got like this. The days were shorter, so he hardly bothered worrying about the fact that one minute it was the middle of the afternoon and the next the sun was setting. Eventually, though, he decided that he should probably eat something, even if nothing sounded good.

He tried for something simple, just a small pasta dish seasoned with green peppers for some spice to wake him up, but the end product was nothing like he'd imagined. At some point he must have gotten distracted, but he was hardly registering things anyways.

The pasta ended up being overcooked, noodles limp and easily breakable when he tried to move them between bowls. He cut himself a little bit slicing up the peppers, and even though it was just a little cut, the sight of a fe drops of blood seeping from the wound was enough to make Kyungsoo nearly want to cry.

"What's the point?" He muttered to himself, abandoning his half-made lunch and retreating back to the master bedroom to curl up beneath the thick blankets once more.

The day passed just like all the others did, and eventually Kyungsoo stirred to the sound of the front door opening and closing. His boyfriend's voice called out his name and he sat up, still in his pajamas, and made his way out to greet Jongin.

"Hey." He said sleepily, pecking Jongin's cheek.

Jongin smiled brightly, though it faltered a bit at the sight of Kyungsoo. "Hey, baby. Have you been in bed all day?"

"I like the bed." Kyungsoo said, shrugging as he moved away, "The bed is where I don't have to worry about the world."

Jongin's smile turned sad. "Bad day?" He asked sympathetically, pulling Kyungsoo back in as the smaller man nodded.

They stayed like that for a minute, Jongin just holding Kyungsoo close to him, until a rumble from Kyungsoo's stomach the taller of the two pull away.

"Have you eaten anything at all today?" Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo shook his head. "No. I tried to make something, but nothing sounded good, and then I cut myself, and then I decided it just wasn't worth it, so I went back to bed."

Jongin sighed, frowning a bit. "Babe, you know I don't like it when you don't eat..."

"I know." Kyungsoo tilted his head down, "It's just....nothing sounds good. I'm just not hungry."

Jongin was quiet for a moment, then his smile returned. "Well, I have an idea. Go sit down."

Kyungsoo sat on the couch while Jongin went off to the kitchen, wondering what his boyfriend had in mind. A few minutes passed and the microwave beeped a few times before Jongin emerged again, holding two steaming mugs in his hands. He handed one to Kyungsoo, grinning.

"Hot chocolate for you." He hummed, sitting down next to Kyungsoo, "At least it will put something in your stomach."

Kyungsoo eyes the chocolatey drink in his hands for a moment before taking a sip, smiling at the taste. Jongin couldn't cook to save his life, but he definitely made a good cup of hot chocolate.

"Thank you, babe." Kyungsoo smiled, shifting closer to Jongin and pressing against his side.

"Of course." Jongin kissed Kyungsoo's temple, "Anything to make you feel better after a bad day."

"Well, you're certainly good at that." Kyungsoo chuckled, taking another few sips from hs mug.

"I try." Jongin grinned widely, relaxing back against the couch.

They cuddled together there for the rest of the evening, and when they finally went to bed, Kyungsoo decided that maybe his winter blues weren't so bad as long as he had Jongin with him to keep his heart warm.

 


 

Day 4 complete! Tomorrow will begin the two days of Baekyeol :)

-MyNameIsCarla